Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

viber ipad -

• 16-09-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

my child just 12 has started vibering his friens on viber from his new school.
    I have no problem with this but he is very secretive when on it...his mum caught sight of some inappropiate language from one particular individual ..which was ignored by the rest of the group , as they probably didnt understand was was being said. I trust the child but want to try ensure his safety on it.....Not wishing to snoop but I would like to be able to access messages in the future should i need to , i am thinking of perhaps issues that may come out at school , which may not be of his making , but involve him ...I am thinking of inappropiate language etc (learnt from others perhaps)..I would like to be able to show he was not the instigator ...if that was the case ....is there any way of keeping a record of his interactions on viber should i need to access them in the future?
    I am concerned as he is deleting as he goes , I am ok to trust him BUT you never know ...and its from that end I am enquiring ...thks paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Unfortunately, unless there are certain privacy settings available to change, there isn't a way to access his conversations unless of course you have access to the iPad yourself. Viber does keep a history of messages but as he is deleting them there's most likely no way to monitor what he's doing or saying.

With access to private information like that it would break the rules Apple set for Apps on the AppStore. Unless there's a way for chat history to be backed up and accessed or emailed to you for a record of the chats I don't think you will be able to access the messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

DubDJ wrote: »
    Unfortunately, unless there are certain privacy settings available to change, there isn't a way to access his conversations unless of course you have access to the iPad yourself. Viber does keep a history of messages but as he is deleting them there's most likely no way to monitor what he's doing or saying.

With access to private information like that it would break the rules Apple set for Apps on the AppStore. Unless there's a way for chat history to be backed up and accessed or emailed to you for a record of the chats I don't think you will be able to access the messages.

I understand the rules etc.... when you see all kids committing suicide ....and its down to these "social" sites ...its from that prespective I am coming from ..but thanks for your advice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You could download Viber for Desktop. An activation code would be sent to your son's device that would need to be used to activate the desktop version. All messages would also go to the desktop version but would disappear if deleted from the iPad, so it would be a matter of you constantly monitoring it & grabbing screenshots as soon as the messages arrive.

I suppose it might work for spot checks but certainly wouldn't be a long term solution unless you have a lot of time on your hands. It might be better to speak to your son & explain your concerns which might also avoid any trust issues that he may develop further down the line if he found out what you were doing, no matter how well meant your intentions are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

In would be having a chat with him and telling him about your concerns and asking him for access to his account, tell him that if he deletes messages then he won't be allowed on viber, then do random spot checks when he's on it. In an ideal world he would be allowed his privacy but he's only 12 so it's important that he's supervised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    In would be having a chat with him and telling him about your concerns and asking him for access to his account, tell him that if he deletes messages then he won't be allowed on viber, then do random spot checks when he's on it. In an ideal world he would be allowed his privacy but he's only 12 so it's important that he's supervised.

I agree completey.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Instead of coming across like hitler* educate your child on the plus sides of the Internet, warn them of the dangers of the Internet. If you come across as a buzz killington you'll just be hit with more resistance. Spend time with your child on the Internet too, get a feel for what they like doing on it and try and steer them to the nice parts of the Internet.

* may sound drastic but that's who'll your child will think you are.

Advertisement