Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken window locks

Options
  • 16-09-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

My girlfriend lives in rented accommodation and two of the window locks have came of in her hand while trying to close them. Another window catch is broke after a the window was opened and a gush of wind slammed it against the wall and snapped the catch underneath where it holds the window and now it cant be opened and closed.

What she wants to know, does she have to replace these or is it the landlords job to do so. Theres another few jobs she needs sorted, the overflow needs fixed and a water tap is constantly running. Shes going to get him to fix these but shes wondering should she say about the windows or just pay to get them fixxed herself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

the two that came off in her hand I cant see being her issue. The problem is im imagining these happened a reasonable amount of time apart and she didn't report them.

That then makes her contacting the LL to inform of 3 broken locks sounds very much like misuse. Weather that's the case or not I think many peoples first reaction would be to assume this is the case and act accordingly.

A lot will be to do with how well is her relationship with the LL. If its good perhaps he / she will recognize this and take her at her word, if not you might find the LL taking the view it was misuse and eventually deducting from the deposit as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

D3PO wrote: »
    the two that came off in her hand I cant see being her issue. The problem is im imagining these happened a reasonable amount of time apart and she didn't report them.

That then makes her contacting the LL to inform of 3 broken locks sounds very much like misuse. Weather that's the case or not I think many peoples first reaction would be to assume this is the case and act accordingly.

A lot will be to do with how well is her relationship with the LL. If its good perhaps he / she will recognize this and take her at her word, if not you might find the LL taking the view it was misuse and eventually deducting from the deposit as a result.

Her relationship is ok but you know what landlords are liek these days, its liek getting blood out of a stone trying to get them to spend anything . How much are the locks anyway

Advertisement