Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Express

Options
  • 16-09-2013 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0916/474475-tesco-jobs/

They announced today that they were creating 200 jobs and concentrating in opening up new Express stores as this is the shopping trend now.

Wonder if one would come in the Ballybricken area, at least it would give more choice.

What are they like pricewise with their bigger stores.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

In comparison to Spar, Centra and all them, they're dirt cheap because they stock their own brand of convenience things. Being from the UK I know the threat they pose to other chains because they're cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Most of those 200 new jobs are going to be 20 hr contracts on near minimum wage . If you are on the dole , you will only be slightly better off ..

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Most of those 200 new jobs are going to be 20 hr contracts on near minimum wage . If you are on the dole , you will only be slightly better off ..

Yes thats right. Why dont they give less people jobs but give them the full 39 hours.
    You'd wonder are the government giving tesco incentives to do this so that the number of people claiming social welfare is less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Those jobs wouldn't seem so bad if people didn't get so much on the dole. Hate to be this person but it annoyed me seeing someone that I know to be on the dole counting down the minutes for GTAV to be released and their new telly to arrive from littlewoods. No reason for most people to work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

Those jobs wouldn't seem so bad if people didn't get so much on the dole. Hate to be this person but it annoyed me seeing someone that I know to be on the dole counting down the minutes for GTAV to be released and their new telly to arrive from littlewoods. No reason for most people to work anymore.
    OH FOR GODS SAKE !!! YOU don't have a clue having seen two members of my family lose their jobs and the hopelessness and depression that goes with it I think you should be more careful before you make such sweeping statements. I d love to see you be better off on 188 euro a week, at least you have a purpose in getting up every day if your working .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

OH FOR GODS SAKE !!! YOU don't have a clue having seen two members of my family lose their jobs and the hopelessness and depression that goes with it I think you should be more careful before you make such sweeping statements. I d love to see you be better off on 188 euro a week, at least you have a purpose in getting up every day if your working .

Excuse me, I was expressing an opinion...that's all. I didn't make any judgements, I simply expressed an opinion. I'd say I was sorry for offending you, but I'm not in the slightest.

I've been in that position of having to survive on 188 a week and I understand the frustration you're talking about. I went out and I did things that many people would look down their noses at, but I couldn't give a damn. However, there are people out there who have no intentions of ever getting jobs. They live for things like GTA. They are proud of the fact that others are paying for their relaxed lifestyle - and that is what annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

You've taken his comment waaaayy out of context. There are people happy to plod along on the dole, maybe you just don't know any. €188 is a lot when you live at home / have no kids / have no car or debt.

And believe me, I completely understand the feelings of desperation and depression when struggling to make ends meet, but similarly I know of people on the dole who spend the majority of it on going out at the weekends and other frivolous things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Those jobs wouldn't seem so bad if people didn't get so much on the dole.

What you are suggesting is to cut the dole for everyone so as to hurt the 5% or less that abuse it or don't need it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

danjo-xx wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0916/474475-tesco-jobs/

They announced today that they were creating 200 jobs and concentrating in opening up new Express stores as this is the shopping trend now.

Wonder if one would come in the Ballybricken area, at least it would give more choice.

What are they like pricewise with their bigger stores.

I would love to see a Tesco Express, Spar or someone in the old Besco’s. It would really bring a lot of activity to the area. I could never understand why the owners have left it empty. They could easily get a tenant for it. I know for a fact that Dealz was very interested in it instead of Michael St.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

BBM77 wrote: »
    I would love to see a Tesco Express, Spar or someone in the old Besco’s. It would really bring a lot of activity to the area. I could never understand why the owners have left it empty. They could easily get a tenant for it. I know for a fact that Dealz was very interested in it instead of Michael St.

would love that to happen, would be handy for me to get a job there as i live very near the area lol. wishful thinking lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

TheVandal wrote: »
    In comparison to Spar, Centra and all them, they're dirt cheap because they stock their own brand of convenience things. Being from the UK I know the threat they pose to other chains because they're cheap.

I've just realised why the Spars in Dublin may be so cheap and have so much great Spar stuff. I was in one around Parnell St and it was more like the ones in Spain.

The Tesco's are cheaper compared to the usual convenience store but they have different special offers, so the price would be different in Poleberry compared to Ballybricken.

True about the 20 hour contracts, its €181 after USC V €188 for the dole if your over 25. More than lightly you'll be working 5 days too, so no hope of a part payment. though beats the 15 hr contract in Dunnes.

The pattern for shopping seems to have totally changed to 12pm to 10pm, stores are staffed to reflect this.

Advertisement