Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damo and Ivor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

What made it good is it had a story going somewhere, Andy Quirke did a great job playing Damo and Ivor, the grandmother was good, it had some silly fun stuff.
    It made itself worth watching, if there is going to be a second series (it was meant to be a one series only) and there is talk there will be, it needs a good storyline to carry it through the series and people like Tarquin and co brought back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 piplin

Excellent show. Ivor is my hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I thought the ending was genius. It was brilliant.

Ah - really stupid question though, was the same actor playing Damo and Ivor?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I thought the ending was genius. It was brilliant.

Ah - really stupid question though, was the same actor playing Damo and Ivor?

Yeah Andy Quirke plays both.
    You rarely see both faces in the same shot.

I thought it was funny at the end how he was himself playing himself pretending to be a different version of himself and still pulled it off believably enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Good show overall i thought, actually a lot better then there ROT sketches the storyline was decent and the ending quite touching, i will watch Season 2 if it's made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Eathrin wrote: »
    Yeah Andy Quirke plays both.
    You rarely see both faces in the same shot.

I thought it was funny at the end how he was himself playing himself pretending to be a different version of himself and still pulled it off believably enough.

The mad thing is how weird it looked when
    Ivor was dressed as Damo and vice versa.

Rationally, I know it's the same guy, but that just looked really instinctively odd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

The mad thing is how weird it looked when
    Ivor was dressed as Damo and vice versa.

Rationally, I know it's the same guy, but that just looked really instinctively odd :D

That's my point and he still pulled it off well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'm going to jump in here as well and compliment this show.

Was it the best thing ever on television? No.

But it did have some laugh-out-loud moments and I thought it was a clever enough storyline. I'll also echo the comments about some nice tender moments in it too. (No-one's mentioned the bit in the second-last episode where Grano kisses Ivor on the forehead when he's asleep. Thought that was very well done.)

Like others have said, the first episode was probably the worst - and if you bailed out there you did miss out on an enjoyable series.

Best actor/actress in it (IMO)? Yer one that played Spuddy's babymother (Tracey?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'd say the lads who made the Roaring Twenties must be reading this thread and weeping! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'd say the lads who made the Roaring Twenties must be reading this thread and weeping! :pac:

I recall that the Roaring Twenties was desperately ****, but what exactly do you mean?

• Advertisement

I recall that the Roaring Twenties was desperately ****, but what exactly do you mean?

Oh it was. It was awful.

I mean their show was universally torn apart but Damo and Ivor has both fans and detractors.

Roaring Twenties didn't even have one fan on boards from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Oh it was. It was awful.

I mean their show was universally torn apart but Damo and Ivor has both fans and detractors.

Roaring Twenties didn't even have one fan on boards from what I remember.
    i sat in to watch that and i was all enthusiastic ....

i sat in to watch that and i was all enthusiastic ....

It caused internal bleeding in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,393 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Also I fecking love Sarah-Jane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

We also have to remember that Damo & Ivor are somewhat of an established brand due to the skeches/shorts they had with Republic of Telly whereas The Roaring Twenties hadn't. Many of us had already had a decent exposure to Damo & Ivor before the first episode aired and knew what to expect.

I'm not defending TRT by the way, (i'm not that stupid!) but i do wonder what the reaction to Damo & Ivor would be if we had all gone into it fresh.

or maybe i'm just talking sh1te...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PromQueen79

Anybody know the name/artist of a song used in the second half of the final episode? (not the LMFAO one)

We also have to remember that Damo & Ivor are somewhat of an established brand due to the skeches/shorts they had with Republic of Telly whereas The Roaring Twenties hadn't. Many of us had already had a decent exposure to Damo & Ivor before the first episode aired and knew what to expect.

I'm not defending TRT by the way, (i'm not that stupid!) but i do wonder what the reaction to Damo & Ivor would be if we had all gone into it fresh.

I dunno. I'm not a fan of Damo and Ivor but by Jaysus it's way better than TRT.

Have a rewatch if you dare:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Anybody know the name/artist of a song used in the second half of the final episode? (not the LMFAO one)
    Do you mean Teardrop by Massive Attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I dunno. I'm not a fan of Damo and Ivor but by Jaysus it's way better than TRT.

Have a rewatch if you dare:

No thanks. I think i'd rather Drown myself in the Fergus to be fair. I know I used TRT as an example of an RTE show that didn't already have a ready built audience. It could easily have been The Clinic, Rough Diamond or ... *shudder* Love is the Drug. Maybe there's something to be said for exposure to these things on another platform, build a bit of a following (as well as getting a feel for the material) before trying to transition it to a t.v. format. It worked well enough for the Hardy Bucks.

FWIW I really liked Damo & Ivor. It certainly improved as it went along.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought it was pretty good overall, a bit of a step up from Hardy bucks production wise, good comedy and even some touching moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RAH1

I thought it was very funny series. "hes a bad egg".
    Damo is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

I don't how anybody can find Damo and Ivor funny. There are no jokes in it , it is not real satire, its not clever humour. Its just crude and has cliched sterotypes . I would like somebody to tell me, on what level is it funny? . I mean Father Figure is funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't how anybody can find Damo and Ivor funny. There are no jokes in it , it is not real satire, its not clever humour. Its just crude and has cliched sterotypes . I would like somebody to tell me, on what level is it funny? . I mean Father Figure is funnier.

comedy is subjective, trying to explain why something's funny is practicality impossible.

Mrs Brown is the worst heap of ****e ever made, yet literally millions of people watch. The old saying 'there's no accounting for taste ' is the only real explanation when it comes to this stuff.

Personally I don't think Damo and Ivor is that bad, sure it's nothing we haven't seen before but by Rte standards its a feckin masterpiece. My parents love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

or maybe i'm just talking sh1te...

I went into it fresh, if that's the right way to say that, as I hadn't seen any of the sketches etc. I thought it was very good. Not a masterpiece or anything, but had some genuinely funny bits, and I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

And nobody has copyright on satire. Or caricatures.
    For me the biggest problem was that the two main caricatures have been done to death in recent years. There was very little satire in Damo and Ivor, just a few obvious cliches. Not a major fan, but Paul Howard's writing is streets ahead of this and often has strong satirical elements. RTE's previous attempts at class humour, Dan & Becs and Sarah & Steve were also better, probably moreso the former than the latter. It just seems that these caricatures are dragged out every few years in the absence of any original comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I was hoping this was going to get a dvd release before Xmas.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rik Mayall has died RIP - he played Ivor's dad but more known for Bottom and The Young Ones

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've been catching up on Damo & Ivor as all of series one has been in the RTE Player. I'd never watched it before aside from seeing one or maybe two of the music videos. It took a couple of episodes to get into but I actually really enjoyed it, lots of genuine laughs in it for me. I had low expectations so it was a nice surprise :P

Looking forward to seeing if series two is as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I really enjoyed season 1 last year.

But was very dissappointed with new season 2 last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

bazermc wrote: »
    I really enjoyed season 1 last year.

But was very dissappointed with new season 2 last night
    yeah it was a little boring...jokes were as lame as last year but last years was more of a grower.

Advertisement