Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damo and Ivor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

greenpilot wrote: »
    The rest of the county don't give a fcuk how people live in Dublin.

They should, Dublin subsidises them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

RobertKK wrote: »
    This is a real insight to how people live in Dublin.

Really.. So the Southside is full of obnoxious spoiled idiots who swill champers and get botox.
    Northside full of car thieves and prostitute Mothers.. And that was just the 15 minutes that I could endure it.
    Great insight indeed:mad:.
    And never mind Mayell, what on earth was Ruth Mc Cabe thinking?
    Utter rubbish from RTE yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

dubsontour wrote: »
    Really.. So the Southside is full of obnoxious spoiled idiots who swill champers and get botox.
    Northside full of car thieves and prostitute Mothers.. And that was just the 15 minutes that I could endure it.

Obviously the show's creators never had to drive through the crumlin/walkinstown area. Like a little enclave of northrside scangeragua relocated to the south. Full of Damos and prostitute mothers :D

Best keep the car window up and drive as fast as possible if you ever had to pass through these ghettos on you travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

This was absolutely rubbish on ROT and should have been strangled right there.
    I would love to be sitting in on a meeting with these RTE heads and just listen to the justification they give to give something as bad as this the go ahead.
    They should be made tape these meetings like the White house and made play it back where everybody gets to see what they approved,now that would be comedy alongside the resultant sacking of course and boot out their sons and daughters as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭redzerredzer

tipptom wrote: »
    This was absolutely rubbish on ROT and should have been strangled right there.
    I would love to be sitting in on a meeting with these RTE heads and just listen to the justification they give to give something as bad as this the go ahead.
    They should be made tape these meetings like the White house and made play it back where everybody gets to see what they approved,now that would be comedy alongside the resultant sacking of course and boot out their sons and daughters as well.

RTE Executive 1 - '' We need something for the young people Monday night slot. Your man from the republic of telly slot seems to be popular and he wont cost us much''

RTE Executive 2 - '' Yes, people will laugh at any crass **** we throw at them these days and your man is deperate to get on tv so wont cost much ''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I enjoyed it and think it could work out better than most of the new irish comedy. Rik Mayall is an absolute hero of mine so that was another bonus. Looking forward to next weeks.
    (I really thought he should have been busted by the cops with his granny)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

What a shameless rip-off of Ross O'Carroll Kelly, even down to the way he speaks to his folks and the ladies. Shouldn't be allowed.
    DUBACC wrote: »
    I'd say Paul Howard is onto his solicitor right now. Blatant ripoff of Ross.

For the love of god, so once one person presents a stereotype to the masses, it is his own copyright is it?

Hmm, so then I'm guessing if anyone ever replicates a Northside accent on tv that has any faint resemblance to Damo then "Damo & Ivor ltd" can sue them?

Go to Krystle in town, you will see plenty of Ivors, go to O'Connell St & you'll see plenty of Damo's. Nobody owns the rights to the reproduction of these fairly accurate stereotypes.

For what its worth, I thought it was funny, I knew I wasn't going to be getting a high-brow lecture on socio-economic issues so just take it at face value for god's sake.

RTE Executive 1 - '' We need something for the young people Monday night slot. Your man from the republic of telly slot seems to be popular and he wont cost us much''

RTE Executive 2 - '' Yes, people will laugh at any crass **** we throw at them these days and your man is deperate to get on tv so wont cost much ''
    To be fair it looks like young quirke put the effort in and got the reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

This was so awful it could well become unmissable TV...Up there with "Leave it to Mrs O'Brien" and "Upwardly Mobile" in the pantheon of atrocious Irish comedy.

*pops over to the Jason Byrne thread to copy and paste this :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭Algeria

Good luck to him, he seems like a nice guy.

A least he doesn't steal a living like his brother 'Wes'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Òf the three comedies put forward by RTE last night the only time I laughed out loud was during Damo and Ivor. He has the Ivor character to a tee, hard to believe there are idiots like this floating around our fair city but they do exist. Rik Mayall is a legend and I crack up just looking at his facial expressions. I wouldn't try to analyse it too deeply if it makes you laugh brilliant and if not I wouldn't let it ruin your week. But for light entertainment that doesn't tax the brain too much on a Monday night its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Obviously the show's creators never had to drive through the crumlin/walkinstown area. Like a little enclave of northrside scangeragua relocated to the south. Full of Damos and prostitute mothers :D

Best keep the car window up and drive as fast as possible if you ever had to pass through these ghettos on you travels.

Crumlin and Walkinstown? There are a lot worse places on the Southside...

Birneybau wrote: »
    Crumlin and Walkinstown? There are a lot worse places on the Southside...

Equally the northside has Clontarf, Sutton, Portmarnock, Malahide and Howth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

'paths to freedom' done it first and a hell of a lot better

peteeeed wrote: »
    'paths to freedom' done it first and a hell of a lot better
    i think paths to freedom is a different beast altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i think paths to freedom is a different beast altogether.

well it was a northside , southside comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Algeria wrote: »
    Equally the northside has Clontarf, Sutton, Portmarnock, Malahide and Howth :)

A general rule of thumb on the geography of both the North & Southside : The further you go inland from the coast, the scangier it gradually gets..

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    A general rule of thumb on the geography of both the North & Southside : The further you go inland from the coast, the scangier it gradually gets..

Fairview East Wall, then cross the water, still faced with Ringsend, go a bit further and Dun Laoghaire's rep is at an all time low! etc ;)

Coast is a bit dodgey too ya know!

it was a bit more than that i thought...comedy tragedy drama perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

dubsontour wrote: »

Yes I thought it was terrible.

Just couldn't resist adding that comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Four words....O.M.F.G.............:rolleyes:

BTW ,for the non home heating oil users in RTE.......heating oil doesnt explode with a lighter.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭alwayssideways

I enjoyed some of the Damo & Ivor sketches on the Republic of Telly. I wasn't expecting much from this spin off series, but that was the biggest load of rubbish I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

BTW ,for the non home heating oil users in RTE.......heating oil doesnt explode with a lighter.......;)

I'm pretty sure that was the petrol/diesel Damo's mate was siphoning out of vehicles.

Was alright. Characters are all decent enough. Wasn't exactly rolling around with laughter but I can see where the funny is supposed to be. It's only a 6 part series, so I'll give it another episode or two before I write it off altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

JoePie wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that was the petrol/diesel Damo's mate was siphoning out of vehicles.

Was alright. Characters are all decent enough. Wasn't exactly rolling around with laughter but I can see where the funny is supposed to be. It's only a 6 part series, so I'll give it another episode or two before I write it off altogether.

They made 5 more???:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That's like comparing Jurassic Park with Megashark versus Giant Octopus.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Awful, Awful pile of ****e. Having seen some of the sketches on Republic of Telly I really can't fathom how they got to commission an actual series out of it. Can only speculate that Andy Quirke's dad (Dr. Quirkey) threw a pile of cash at it.

Basically a poor attempt at Ross O'Carroll Kelly-type humour, which apart from being done before; it's actually not that funny.

my. two. cents.

ROYSH!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭redzerredzer

For the love of god, so once one person presents a stereotype to the masses, it is his own copyright is it?

Hmm, so then I'm guessing if anyone ever replicates a Northside accent on tv that has any faint resemblance to Damo then "Damo & Ivor ltd" can sue them?

It's more to do with the fact that just like Ross, Ivor is very rude to his parents, who are pretentious dick heads and they still spoil him.

[/quote]Go to Krystle in town, you will see plenty of Ivors[/quote]

Not the twice I was there. It was full of little spice, wannabe football players. Semi knacker is the term that sneering people like myself and my friends use about such types.

[/quote]For what its worth, I thought it was funny[/quote]

It really wasn't.

It's more to do with the fact that just like Ross, Ivor is very rude to his parents, who are pretentious dick heads and they still spoil him.
    Go to Krystle in town, you will see plenty of Ivors[/quote]

Not the twice I was there. It was full of little spice, wannabe football players. Semi knacker is the term that sneering people like myself and my friends use about such types.

[/quote]For what its worth, I thought it was funny[/quote]

It really wasn't.[/QUOTE]
    in your opinion (and many others)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Only saw an ad for it,and it sounds and looks like the type of B.S. that tries too hard to be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

TBH the ivor parts ruined it. the accent is insufferable. the humour is ****e and not relatable by those even with money.

Advertisement