Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damo and Ivor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

i think paths to freedom is a different beast altogether.

Exactly. Paths to freedom was genius.
    The subtleties of the script along with precise acting and spot on accents made it a rare rte gem.

Last night was over acting at its worst. Facial expressions gone mad with accents that don't really exist.
    This show will go down as yet another the cassidys, roaring twenties, the English class, upwardly mobile, your bad self and others that thank god I have forgotten.
    I never understand how unfunny everyday English people are yet they consistantly make great comedies while us Irish everyday folk are generally much more craic, equipped with much more wit yet we rarely get anything decent on tv screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

Comedy is subjective folks, one man's banana skin slapstick is another's unfunny accident.
    I think it was the best of the three new RTE shows and definitely had some funny moments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭French Toast

I got a good laugh out of the start with yer man in the toilet while the flats were demolished :P

I thought the Ivor bits were too familiar to the Ross O'Carroll Kelly type stuff. He even said things in code the same way Ross does (Hillary Swank = ****, Wolfe Tone = mobile phone etc.). Can't remember exactly what he said, but it rang a bell.

Overall it wasn't bad, but I wont buy the box-set either :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The subtleties of the script along with precise acting and spot on accents made it a rare rte gem.

Last night was over acting at its worst. Facial expressions gone mad with accents that don't really exist.
    This show will go down as yet another the cassidys, roaring twenties, the English class, upwardly mobile, your bad self and others that thank god I have forgotten.
    I never understand how unfunny everyday English people are yet they consistantly make great comedies while us Irish everyday folk are generally much more craic, equipped with much more wit yet we rarely get anything decent on tv screens.
    it wasn't that bad!

Irish people think they are funnier than they actually are....although you do have a point that irish comedy is not as funny as the man on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fair City gets a extra night :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I kinda liked it. Had a few funny moments in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

RTE once again have knocked it out of the park the park of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

They should, Dublin subsidises them.

Shame it can't feed its self then. or live on its own hot air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Irish people think they are funnier than they actually are....although you do have a point that irish comedy is not as funny as the man on the street.

+1.
    We're absolute sh1te at TV comedy. The American shows put us to shame(cue excuses about money and population size).
    RTE have been pimping Damo & Ivor to the point of clockwork Orange-esque aversion therapy for the last few weeks, TV spots, bus shelters, billboards, the works. And surprise surprise its terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

I never understand how unfunny everyday English people are yet they consistently make great comedies while us Irish everyday folk are generally much more craic, equipped with much more wit yet we rarely get anything decent on tv screens.

Paths to freedom was ****e. If it was any good, how come it got axed after series 1. It didn't attract an audience because it was ****e. If you want talk about a quality comedy that rte did,then you need look no further than the savage eye. It highlighted Irish begrudgery, the shame of not owning your own house, the oppression of the catholic church etc, and tackled all these topics in a very clever and funny way.

Another I thing will never understand where the Irish got the notion they were funny or witty . Witt and humour died in this country with Oscar Wilde. Its actually a form of self delusion that we suffer from as a race, just like the English delude themselves in to thinking that they are the best at football.

The penny has finally dropped with the English that they cant play football .When is the penny going to drop with paddy that he isn't funny . The foreigners don't understand our humour and quite frankly neither do I. Our humour is not very subtle, very dark and nearly always at somebody else's expense. Its what other nations call bullying, but in paddyland its called havin the laugh with ya. Is it any wonder that David Mcsavage said that being Irish isn't a nationality , its a mental illness.

I wasn't expecting anything much but I enjoyed it last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

Paths to freedom was ****e. If it was any good, how come it got axed after series 1. It didn't attract an audience because it was ****e. If you want talk about a quality comedy that rte did,then you need look no further than the savage eye. It highlighted Irish begrudgery, the shame of not owning your own house, the oppression of the catholic church etc, and tackled all these topics in a very clever and funny way.

Another I thing will never understand where the Irish got the notion they were funny or witty . Witt and humour died in this country with Oscar Wilde. Its actually a form of self delusion that we suffer from as a race, just like the English delude themselves in to thinking that they are the best at football.

The penny has finally dropped with the English that they cant play football .When is the penny going to drop with paddy that he isn't funny . The foreigners don't understand our humour and quite frankly neither do I. Our humour is not very subtle, very dark and nearly always at somebody else's expense. Its what other nations call bullying, but in paddyland its called havin the laugh with ya. Is it any wonder that David Mcsavage said that being Irish isn't a nationality , its a mental illness.

Wow a self hating Irish man.
    I know a lot of very funny Irish people. Im sorry you dont.
    You should give McSavage a shout. I believe he is quite approachable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah good to have you back on boards McSavage! :pac:

For what it's worth, I think both Paths to Freedom and Savage Eye are examples of when Irish comedy shows are done well.

I'd add Irish Pictorial to that too.

There's none of them perfect but they're a far sight better than the abominations that we've been served up in the past.

Self hating gets trotted out a bit too much when home truths are pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

Funny to who. You. If there are that funny why aren't they making a career out of it. Tell you what, if the Irish are funnier than the rest of the world .Why doesn't the rest of the world get the joke. Humour is a universal language you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

peteeeed wrote: »
    'paths to freedom' done it first and a hell of a lot better

Speaking of... the Lannisters send their regards. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

greenpilot wrote: »
    The rest of the county don't give a fcuk how people live in Dublin.

And this is nothing like how most people from Dublin live....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just watched it after taping it last night. Didn't laugh once. Saddest part for me was seeing Rik Mayall stoop to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭UpTheLilies

As an Irishman there are very few things I am ashamed of but RTE is chief among them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Lambofdave wrote: »
    Shame it can't feed its self then. or live on its own hot air

To use your own analogy... Dublin does feed itself and plenty of other counties feed from our trough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

As an Irishman there are very few things I am ashamed of but RTE is chief among them.

Even by RTE's standards when it comes to comedy, Damo & Ivor was appalling.....and that's saying something.

It sure is, when they spend 3 weeks promoting something you were laughing at 10 year ago it's bad form.

Why are they complaining about the money they cost to make?? tv licence = €160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Can't believe I'm saying this but given the small target audience that RTÉ have they actually do some things very very well.

Après Match, Republic of Telly, punditry in GAA and soccer, politics programmes, etc...

Can't believe I'm saying this but given the small target audience that RTÉ have they actually do some things very very well.

Après Match, Republic of Telly, punditry in GAA and soccer, politics programmes, etc...
    I'll give you apres match but republic of telly is just an national broadcaster self deprication / "comedy" format worn out by the bbc 10 year ago. as for the GAA coverage, they are ok compared to who? soccer isjust about bareable if u support man utd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

duridian wrote: »
    Speaking of... the Lannisters send their regards. ;)

That'll flay em.

The question is which is better Damo or Jason Byrne?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

The question is which is better Damo or Jason Byrne?

Hmm. That kick in the balls does look excellent, but I think I'm leaning towards the punch in the face.

• Advertisement

i watched it again last night with a mate and we both laughed quite a bit..don't know where all the anger is coming from..i do remember being angry for about 3 weeks when "the roaring 20's" was on though

Advertisement