Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damo and Ivor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

i watched it again last night with a mate and we both laughed quite a bit..don't know where all the anger is coming from..i do remember being angry for about 3 weeks when "the roaring 20's" was on though

I suffered from internal bleeding after watching the Roaring Twenties.

Luckily I'd paid my licence fee so RTE covered my hospital costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭Algeria

Poor Drop Dead Fred :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Not as terrible as people are making it out to be - Although I do believe the characters of Damo and Ivor are better suited to a more Ali-G style pseudo reality show then a straight comedy show. Would love to see Damo interviewing people, harassing politicians or Ivor snubbing Irelands Z-List Celebrities - Would be far funnier to see if people would twig they were the same person if he was able to swap back and forth in a hurry.

The RTE bashing is a bit much - Quality wise their programming is streets ahead of the likes of ITV/TV3 - (not saying it justifies the license fee but there have been successes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

It's more to do with the fact that just like Ross, Ivor is very rude to his parents, who are pretentious dick heads and they still spoil him.
    Go to Krystle in town, you will see plenty of Ivors[/quote]

Not the twice I was there. It was full of little spice, wannabe football players. Semi knacker is the term that sneering people like myself and my friends use about such types.

[/quote]For what its worth, I thought it was funny[/quote]

It really wasn't.[/QUOTE]

Point 1:
    It is common for the uber wealthy to spoil their children with the money they have, which generally causes an assumption that more is due by the children. Again this is not a documentary, it is a marginally inflated stereotype. It is also fairly common that highly wealthy people come across as pretentious to others, as generally they are driven by money, so it is therefore important to them.

Point 2:
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, as on the many occasions I was there it was 50% Ivors.

Point 3:
    If that was a point? Your entitled to your opinion, and I, Mine. May I suggest that if something is so much to your disliking in future you merely reach down to your right or left, pick up the remote & change channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

Hercule wrote: »
    Not as terrible as people are making it out to be - Although I do believe the characters of Damo and Ivor are better suited to a more Ali-G style pseudo reality show then a straight comedy show. Would love to see Damo interviewing people, harassing politicians or Ivor snubbing Irelands Z-List Celebrities - Would be far funnier to see if people would twig they were the same person if he was able to swap back and forth in a hurry.

The RTE bashing is a bit much - Quality wise their programming is streets ahead of the likes of ITV/TV3 - (not saying it justifies the license fee but there have been successes)

Name one good show that is produced by RTE. ITV isn't a great channel either, but its light years ahead of RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

i watched it again last night with a mate and we both laughed quite a bit..don't know where all the anger is coming from..i do remember being angry for about 3 weeks when "the roaring 20's" was on though

There is a lot to be angry about with Davor and Ivor. There is nothing funny about satirising two Irish sterotypes, that are at the core of everything that is wrong with Irish society . Damo is a thieving scanger, who who steals and defrauds the welfare system .

Ivor is the spoiled, useless, self entitled title D4 who knows the price of everything, and value of nothing . He is cut from the very same cloth, as those privately educated D4 banksters, that robbed the country .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I lived in Sasana for a few years so have no idea what The Roaring 20s, Upwardly Mobile, The Cassidys or The English Class are/were. Anyone care to enlighten me as to how bad they were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I lived in Sasana for a few years so have no idea what The Roaring 20s, Upwardly Mobile, The Cassidys or The English Class are/were. Anyone care to enlighten me as to how bad they were?
    like....reeeeeealllly bad

Name one good show that is produced by RTE. ITV isn't a great channel either, but its light years ahead of RTE.
    is this excluding the likes of savage eye that not produced by rte?

like....reeeeeealllly bad

Sound like it alright if D&I is being held up as better that those! A quick google there of each suggests as much, not much by way of video content though. I should be thankful I suppose!

• Advertisement

Film students from ballyfermot that like family guy lectured us on how crap rte is and said they've written a sitcom to save ireland called "the roaring 20's", it was about people in their 20's living in rathmines.....as someone who fits that bill i eagerly tuned in to watch it.....jesus f**ing christ...i spent half the show wondering if iwasn't getting it and the rest vomiting into a bucket....the writers themselves were all over the internet next day calling us all stupid and then vanished....

edit: this next line is incorrect ..i think
    the simple lad from the spar ad was in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what was that other rubbish one set in a newspaper office?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

You know the way some programmes are "So bad, they're good" ?

These were "So bad, they're APPALLING!"

Film students from ballyfermot that like family guy lectured us on how crap rte is and said they've written a sitcom to save ireland called "the roaring 20's", it was about people in their 20's living in rathmines.....as someone who fits that bill i eagerly tuned in to watch it.....jesus f**ing christ...i spent half the show wondering if iwasn't getting it and the rest vomiting into a bucket....the writers themselves were all over the internet next day calling us all stupid and then vanished....

Sounds like RTE alright!

Award-winning US sitcom Parks & Recreation is currently on somewhere between 12 midnight and 3 am on Tuesday nights/Wednesday mornings (not even a regular time, it changes every week) whilst Damo & Ivor, Mrs Brown's Boys and Killinaskully are shown at prime time.

RTE, supporting the arts............:rolleyes:

Skerries wrote: »
    what was that other rubbish one set in a newspaper office?

That apparently was Extra Extra. Whilst googling the others that was mentioned somewhere. Described as "the worst programme ever on RTE" by one reviewer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭UpTheLilies

The savage eye was top notch right enough, the exception that proves the rule perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

That apparently was Extra Extra. Whilst googling the others that was mentioned somewhere. Described as "the worst programme ever on RTE" by one reviewer. :)

And that is some achievement !

The savage eye was top notch right enough, the exception that proves the rule perhaps
    the other one halls pictorial is quite good but kinda rips off the savage eye (possibly same company making it?) i think it's actually the same company that make it (googles) Yes it is...blinder films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Agreed, Always looked forward to Mick the Bull's section on it.

Watched Damo & Ivor the other night and I actually thought it was good for what it was. I first saw Damo a few years back when he done a skit of the MTV show " Pimp my ride" Damos version was "Skanger me Banger"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RlXJCwSjwg

Ireland needs more of these people out making shows like this.

Agreed, Always looked forward to Mick the Bull's section on it.

Watched Damo & Ivor the other night and I actually thought it was good for what it was. I first saw Damo a few years back when he done a skit of the MTV show " Pimp my ride" Damos version was "Skanger me Banger"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RlXJCwSjwg

Ireland needs more of these people out making shows like this.

Not if it leads to Damo & Ivor!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

is this excluding the likes of savage eye that not produced by rte?

Well it was commissioned by RTE but not produced in house. I think Damo and Ivor was produced independently too was it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The question is which is better Damo or Jason Byrne?

Damo by a country mile :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watched it, thought it was really bad, perhaps I hadn't seen the characters much before to establish them but for episode 1 but wasn't impressed, not one laugh from me from the lot of it. There was so much potential for this when you look at the likes of Paths To Freedom which this is essentially a younger version of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Damo & Ivors Driving lessons is seriously funny. Thought the clips on Republic of Telly were great.

The half hour version was really bad - but maybe it will improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

wow sierra wrote: »
    Damo & Ivors Driving lessons is seriously funny. Thought the clips on Republic of Telly were great.

The half hour version was really bad - but maybe it will improve.

Yes the clips on ROT were good, I feel here in the half hour slot it just ain't going to work in its current format, needs to establish the characters more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Shockingly, they got to work again...they made this http://www.rte.ie/storyland-2010/mariana/index.html for rte a few years after. Then they vanished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I see that they are removing any negative comments of their Facebook page and then stopping the person from commenting further on the page. Bad form!

Before

DCa2ksO.png

After

Bz0wRhL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Top Quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

.i do remember being angry for about 3 weeks when "the roaring 20's" was on though

I remember most of my anger being directed towards the writer who came on here promoting it.

He had a mickey fit of a meltdown on here when he was told it was .

"Its not derivitive sh1t, its like Seinfield but in Ireland"

I think there where a few jokes lifted straight from The Simpsons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

There is a lot to be angry about with Davor and Ivor. There is nothing funny about satirising two Irish sterotypes, that are at the core of everything that is wrong with Irish society . Damo is a thieving scanger, who who steals and defrauds the welfare system .

Ivor is the spoiled, useless, self entitled title D4 who knows the price of everything, and value of nothing . He is cut from the very same cloth, as those privately educated D4 banksters, that robbed the country .

Wouldn't you ^want^ to satirise people like this if you could.

It was funny. Hard to believe that damo and Ivor are the same guy. A good comedy by RTE standards. In any case any Irish comedy gets bad reviews on the Internet. If Fr. Ted were Irish only it would be despised.

Advertisement