Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damo and Ivor

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Dempsey wrote: »
    Anyone ever do the Cinnamon Challenge? Some genuine suffering in there!

Yes...from anybody who watched it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

seamus wrote: »
    Anyone know who plays Ivor's mate Tarquin? Totally recognise him.

He's a stand-up comedian. Tom O'Mahony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

chopper6 wrote: »
    Yes...from anybody who watched it.

If you dont like the show, why did you bother watching that clip? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Actually brought it up today at a table during conversation. I like it, although I thought I'd hate it....

It really splits opinion. 3 people liked it while 2 detested it. No middle ground, much like this thread really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭nc6000

I didn't watch the programme but was that Cinnamon Challenge clip actually part of the episode shown on TV or just something available online?

nc6000 wrote: »
    I didn't watch the programme but was that Cinnamon Challenge clip actually part of the episode shown on TV or just something available online?

I spotted it online last year. I dunno if it was used in the Republic of Telly or just a webisode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It really splits opinion. 3 people liked it while 2 detested it. No middle ground, much like this thread really.
    There is no middle ground in Ireland, you pick a side and stick to it no matter what.

ScumLord wrote: »
    There is no middle ground in Ireland, you pick a side and stick to it no matter what.

A Blue Shirt would say that though. Just like your grandfather and his father before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,221 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm really enjoying the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Totes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Im enjoying the series as a whole so far but I thought last night's episode was pretty weak. Apart from the guy in the sleeping bag and ivor bangin yer wan, there wasn't many laughs in it.

yer man in the sleeping bag! He had me in tears ...that was the best performance in the episode!

Quarter of a million viewers last night apparently.

Not my cup of tea at all but they're decent figures to get on RTE 2 at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

its funny cause its silly but i find myself watching it. this is what annoys me about RTE though. if something like damo and ivor from the republic of telly or the hardy bucks from there web days gets even the slighest bit of attention it seems to be like quick just get a series done and to hell with the quality. its rushed out and more often than not it isnt refined. from damo and ivor last night we couldnt see them both in the one shot and it was soooo plain to see the different guy in each shot from behind. we may have seen them together for the photo they took. but in general its get it out quick quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    its funny cause its silly but i find myself watching it. this is what annoys me about RTE though. if something like damo and ivor from the republic of telly or the hardy bucks from there web days gets even the slighest bit of attention it seems to be like quick just get a series done and to hell with the quality. its rushed out and more often than not it isnt refined. from damo and ivor last night we couldnt see them both in the one shot and it was soooo plain to see the different guy in each shot from behind. we may have seen them together for the photo they took. but in general its get it out quick quick.

That could be down to a tight budget, If the viewing figures are good for season 1 then I'd guess that season 2 will be a higher budget and the quality of production will get better.

• Advertisement

Duggie2012 wrote: »

i disagree, it's been obvious that andy quirke's been working on this for years, and i'd say he had the cash to get the show made...so i'd say it was gift wrapped for RTE.

As for the rubberbandits, well RTE tried to rush them to capitalise on "horse outside" and they refused and went their own way...(i heard this from an RTE insider who thought they would go nowhere without RTE).

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

well in general i think RTE rush stuff out almost in desperation. i actually like damo and ivor. this quirke guy is talented clearly. damo is already an irish institution. not half bad. good luck to him i say.

If you dont like the show, why did you bother watching that clip? :rolleyes:

Because i wanted to see how bad it was going to be...and i was right.

Because i wanted to see how bad it was going to be...and i was right.

id get a laugh out of anyone doing the cinnamon challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 agenda 45

In leafy foxrock... they don't throw their garbage away. They make it into television shows. Damo and Ivor, woeful TV

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

heybaby wrote: »

There are I'm sure many terrifically talented comedy writers in Ireland seething at the utter laziness of Rte giving airtime to this woeful excuse for comedy. I'd be fascinated to see what the viewership figures are now it's been on a few weeks. My prediction is it won't see a second series. If you want to see good comedy writing, watch Morecambe and Wise, The Two Ronnies and more recently A Touch of Cloth.

Morecombe and Wise! Are you 80 or something...you probably find that fork handles sketch hillarious every time...ha ha four candles, fork handles ja get it..

Take a look at most popular views on RTE real player btw...
    Its base humour like trailer park boys or hardy bucks..if you want double meanings and inyourendo watch MRS. BROWN!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

This is an embarrasment........great use of the money we are forced into giving them....altho I suppose employing people to make this crap takes them off the dole....compare this to something like Ylvis....its incredibly crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Just watched episode two on Player, and watched episodes 3 and 4 live on RTE. Really enjoying it.

I also think this could travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrBizzles

I was cringing watching this on the Rte player earlier, really enjoyed the sketches showm on Republic Of Telly but whoever commissioned this sh!te should be ashamed of themselves. I didnt find at funny it all

Whatever happened Sarah & Steve?? That should have been giving a full length tv series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

99% of what RTE produces is unmitigated ****e and I've no hesitation in pointing that out.

However, I'm genuinely bewildered by the backlash this is getting, I think it's wildly disproportionate.

I understand the actual humour can be subjective, but I still can't quite get my head around the strength of the reaction against it. It's not oscar winning stuff, but it's reasonably cohesive, still well and affectionately observed, present and relevant, and pretty funny at times IMHO. Compared to RTE's other fossilised comedic efforts like Killnaskully or Mrs. Brown's Boys, it's leagues ahead.

So I don't really get why it's getting such an unmerciful pasting, all things considered. It's one of the few things they've done in the last decade with the glimmer of life in it.

Mrs.Brown is miles better than this bull

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    Mrs.Brown is miles better than this bull

And you watched lost for how many years? You probably still think they are on an island waiting to be rescued? (they were dead all along btw)

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    This is an embarrasment........great use of the money we are forced into giving them....altho I suppose employing people to make this crap takes them off the dole....compare this to something like Ylvis....its incredibly crap
    it's not bad at all...not sure where the hatred is coming from...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Irish Begrudgery I'd say. We hate to see ones of our own doing well...jealousy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I haven't seen much of the Damo and Ivor TV show but I really like the music videos he does. HE captures the stereotypes very well. Yes it's a total rip of Ross O'Carroll-Kelly in many ways but it's fairly good imo.

• Advertisement

The "hatred" is coming from the fact that it's a load of offensive rubbish.

There is no actual humour,the script is dreadful,the acting apalling and the cliches abound...is it too much for irish tv to just once make something intelligent,witty and refereshing...or even one of those?

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Irish Begrudgery I'd say. We hate to see ones of our own doing well...jealousy

That's the stock answer to anybody who points out the shortcomings in the nonsense that passes for entertainment these days.

Irish tv is shiite...regardless of the reasons why and they expect people who are already short of cash to keep funding it via the licence fee.

The "hatred" is coming from the fact that it's a load of offensive rubbish.

There is no actual humour,the script is dreadful,the acting apalling and the cliches abound...is it too much for irish tv to just once make something intelligent,witty and refereshing...or even one of those?
    It's decent to be fair, more to it than you're giving it credit for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

This weeks episode of Damo and Ivor was by far the worst in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Sure it's not the most intelligent comedy, it still deserves credit though.

Armelodie wrote: »
    And you watched lost for how many years? You probably still think they are on an island waiting to be rescued? (they were dead all along btw)

They weren't dead all along. They were only dead from a certain point onwards.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    They weren't dead all along. They were only dead from a certain point onwards.

Only Dallas beats it in the writers bullshítting the fans stakes

Only Dallas beats it in the writers bullshítting the fans stakes

True enough. But it's just irritating when people say "they were dead all along - I KNEW it from the start" when they weren't dead all along at all.

MrBizzles wrote: »
    Whatever happened Sarah & Steve?? That should have been giving a full length tv series

Guy who wrote that has a new pilot out soon:

• Advertisement

Jumboman wrote: »
    This weeks episode of Damo and Ivor was by far the worst in the series.

Hold on... You hate the series but keep watching?..
    Misery sure loves company on this thread...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Guy who wrote that has a new pilot out soon:

That looks like absolute ****e.

And we'll be off with another fine thread of top-notch criticism when it airs I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I actually thought that showed quite a lot of potential. Definitely be watching out for it.

There seems to be a real backlash against homegrown/new/different comedy here. Id take a rough round the edges Irish show doing something new over having to watch 8 episodes of How I Met Your Mother in a row any day.

True enough. But it's just irritating when people say "they were dead all along - I KNEW it from the start" when they weren't dead all along at all.

From the start, it was obvious that the writers wanted to do a purgatory angle and the initial aim was for 3 seasons, ratings resulted in the arse being dragged out of it. Season 6 was a load of rubbish no matter what way you look at it.

From the start, it was obvious that the writers wanted to do a purgatory angle and the initial aim was for 3 seasons, ratings resulted in the arse being dragged out of it. Season 6 was a load of rubbish no matter what way you look at it.

Oh yeah it was. But saying they were dead from the start is incorrect.

/pedant

:pac:

• Advertisement

Armelodie wrote: »

Hmmm actually thats not it either haha there was no rescue and no deaths (well the pilot was the first death but until then nope)...I dont think a Damo and Ivor thread is the place to explain LOST to you however.....and if you find these 2 comparable probably no point trying at all haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

The productions values are a cut above most RTE shows (granted that's a low bar) but the writing and humour are just lazy and insufferably low brow. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with the existence of shows like this just because it's not award worthy or to everyones taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It should be very obvious that very few Irish TV shows will have the budget to put together top quality writing.

Damo and Ivor will never have the budget to have large numbers of highly talented script writers and editors.

Remember Seinfeld? According to Wikipedia...
    It was largely co-written by David and Seinfeld with script writers, who included Larry Charles, Peter Mehlman, Gregg Kavet, Andy Robin, Carol Leifer, David Mandel, Jeff Schaffer, Steve Koren, Jennifer Crittenden, Tom Gammill, Max Pross, Charlie Rubin, Marjorie Gross, Alec Berg, Elaine Pope, and Spike Feresten.

How about Frasier? Here's the list of writers for that show.

We can't expect a show in it's first season in a tiny market like Ireland, with little chance of syndication, to attract a budget that will allow the writing to be highly polished. To expect anything more is unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Well obviously there's no point comparing Irish efforts to the notorious writer laden process in the US. The UK however, have produced countless quality shows from small writing teams, although, granted they're working with bigger budgets. There's definitely talented writers in Ireland. I honestly think it's only a matter of time before a decent show, that's conscious of the budget constraint, comes along.

With regard to Damo & Ivor, I'm sceptical as to how this show was given the platform it has. I've heard various stories of money put forward independently etc., but that's beside the main point. The creators of the show have clearly been busy and work hard, something which is a key but often lacking factor among writers. Having said that, imo the critical component missing from this show is simply talent. Judging the it and the earlier work on it's merits, the quality just isn't there. But as I said above, that doesn't mean the show shouldn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

In some countries people are shot for less.

****ing useless ****e, everyone involved should be put down, might make for more entertaining TV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement