Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damo and Ivor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

chopper6 wrote: »
    For some reason i wtched the credits after this show(probably stunned into stupefaction).

It was fundedby a grant from the Irish Cinema Board or something paid for "by the government of ireland".

THIS is what the Govt is wasting the money we're borrowing on....everybody,and i mean everybody connected with the show should be shot.

Why stop there, why not have everyone on the dole shot! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

What's the "You don't like it because it's Irish" stuff about anyway? Love/Hate is Irish and is absolutely adored. Maybe it's just that this show isn't deemed good, the fact it's Irish being irrelevant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

chopper6 wrote: »
    For some reason i wtched the credits after this show(probably stunned into stupefaction).

It was fundedby a grant from the Irish Cinema Board or something paid for "by the government of ireland".

THIS is what the Govt is wasting the money we're borrowing on....everybody,and i mean everybody connected with the show should be shot.
    Actually they got 350K from the sound and vision fund which is licence fee money that does not go to RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What's the "You don't like it because it's Irish" stuff about anyway? Love/Hate is Irish and is absolutely adored. Maybe it's just that this show isn't deemed good, the fact it's Irish being irrelevant?
    Like I said earlier in the thread, I haven't seen this (and don't have high hopes) but a huge number of people took a default "so embarrassed by this crap" stance to Love/Hate when it came out, purely because it was Irish. As in the full reasoning was that -- that it was Irish and so it had to be crap, so we don't want to even give it a chance. Hence why it took a good while to take off, despite getting a LOT of hype and advertising from the get-go. I even got accused of 'working for RTE' and just on boards as a plant when I said the first few episodes weren't great, but showed some promise to be building to something decent. That's one I'll never forget! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Actually they got 350K from the sound and vision fund which is licence fee money that does not go to RTE.

350k?

An absolute disgrace...if they're going to waste money on TV shows at least JUST ONCE let them try and come up with a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I can't help it, I'm still sniggering...........:eek::D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Billy86 wrote: »
    Like I said earlier in the thread, I haven't seen this (and don't have high hopes) but a huge number of people took a default "so embarrassed by this crap" stance to Love/Hate when it came out, purely because it was Irish. As in the full reasoning was that -- that it was Irish and so it had to be crap, so we don't want to even give it a chance.
    I don't like the Irish self-loathing stuff either (see some of the posts to this thread which are actually defending Damo & Ivor) but I can see where the doubt came from: the record of Irish produced television hasn't been great overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

Marios busy tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

I can't help it, I'm still sniggering...........:eek::D:D:D

Same here - still cant get the nagging feeling that its a blatant rip-off of RO'CK though. Still, im enjoying it when i know i really shouldnt! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

neris wrote: »
    Marios busy tonight

Better here than in his own show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The gash for cash scheme run by the grandmother...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Gets a thumbs up in my house. I reckon they will be happy with the viewing figures.
    I remember Father ted being lashed for Stereotyping in a similar way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Its a lot better than some of the muck that RTE has put out as so called Comedy over the years. I laughed a fair few times last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

earlytobed wrote: »
    Gets a thumbs up in my house. I reckon they will be happy with the viewing figures.
    I remember Father ted being lashed for Stereotyping in a similar way

The difference being that Father Ted had finely written jokes in it. This doesn't.

It really doesn't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The first episode was terrible but last night was nowhere as bad.

Maybe next week it will improve as much.

Interesting that rugby hasn't been mentioned once by Ivor yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Absolutely horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I like it. It's a half hour show based on two irish stereotypes that provides a few laughs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭dball

Zhane wrote: »
    I like it. It's a half hour show based on two irish stereotypes that provides a few laughs.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Radio5

It wasn't too bad this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think it was a good effort by RTE. The Damo character actually has some nice moments with the granny which I thought were beyond his acting ability.

Outside of that it has some good comedy moments too but it has the usual disjointed, not quite right feeling of other RTE productions. The Jeremy Kyle like TV show show scene was brutal, it looked nothing like an actual TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I'm actually after growing to like it too....

I think the peak cap is gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

who is the actor thats damos friend???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,433 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The two have met earlier than I thought they would.

I love Sarah Jane - annoying accent and all. Who is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I didn't like it the first week, but this program has grown on me.

Enjoyed it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

RobertKK wrote: »
    I didn't like it the first week, but this program has grown on me.

Enjoyed it tonight.

I think it's my guilty laugh-in!....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Thought the first week was pretty lame but it has gotten better.

The Damo character is great but the Ivor is too laboured.

They're going to get it for using the "k" word though.... Joe Duffy will be inundated tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Have developed an odd fondness for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Only caught this the last two weeks but i think it's great. good craic this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

typical rte crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think the series is actually well put together..music/camera work/pacing/location/short dialogue... I expected the whole plot to reveal itself in the first ten minutes but it is spaced out welll enough to 'develop' the characters a bit.

actually prefer it to love/hate...thats the same sh1te every week...

Advertisement