Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isogels

• 16-09-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

Does anyone in Galway know where I can buy High 5 Isogels?(berry flavour) I bought a box of 25 online last year but only want 2-3 for the moment, need them for this weekend, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There's a running store in Oranmore that stocks them.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

I've been using Maxifuel Viper Active gels and Boots stock them. I find them great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

The bigger Tesco shops stock Gels but I don't think they have the Hi-5 ones.
    Also Elvery's on the Headford Road might have them, haven't been in there in months but they usually stock some gels along with Protein Powders.

+1 for Amphibian King though if you want to be sure of getting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sean's even been know to post things as far as the east coast :pac:
    BTW way do you have SIS isogels Sean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Who's Sean??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Who's Sean??

AKA amphkingwest

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Sean's even been know to post things as far as the east coast :pac:
    BTW way do you have SIS isogels Sean?

Was only speaking with them recently. Watch the usual spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Got my gels today in Amphibian King in Oranmore, great shop for running gear, shoes, gels, and all kinds of accessories, thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Slightly related.

But is there any reason for the high number of out of date gels? Most High 5 gels I've gotten have been out of date (usually on special offer). They still taste and work fine, just curious as to why?

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Slightly related.

But is there any reason for the high number of out of date gels? Most High 5 gels I've gotten have been out of date (usually on special offer). They still taste and work fine, just curious as to why?

EU law that there has to be a Best Before End date on food stuffs.

Some gels are very short dated others can be 2 years. You'll often see out of date stuff being cleared or given out as freebies as you can't sell them.

I personally have out of date gels at home that I pull from and never once had any bother so they're safe to use.

Many people buy 1 & 2 gels at a time to avoid out of date stuff, but by the box is so much cheaper (esp for the High5) and you can store them easily and they don't spoil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

EU law that there has to be a Best Before End date on food stuffs...

...you can store them easily and they don't spoil.

So why don't they have a much longer Best Before then? Like a can of beans? Could it be that the manufacturers are hoping to sell more of them?

murphd77 wrote: »
    So why don't they have a much longer Best Before then? Like a can of beans? Could it be that the manufacturers are hoping to sell more of them?

Good question which led me to: Food Safety Association of Ireland

There is a difference between 'Best Before End' dates and 'Use Before End' dates.

It seems the BBE is quite arbitrary and is to do with the quality of the product rather than safety.

Quite a big 64 page document in there that goes into big detail.

And then there is a correction I must apologise for incorrectly stating:
    Some gels are very short dated others can be 2 years. You'll often see out of date stuff being cleared or given out as freebies as you can't sell them.
    From the FSAI website:

Are retailers permitted to sell food which is past its ‘best-before’ date?
    It is not against the law for retailers to sell food products which are past their best-before date but retailers should be advising consumers of this fact. Typically such foods will be displayed either at a discount price or on special offer (e.g. 2 for the price of 1).
    It is illegal however, for retailers to sell foods which are past their use-by date as these foods could be unsafe to eat.
    To answer your question re longer dates, I suppose there is an element of turnover of stock in mind. Considering that from production, gels specifically, could be warehoused with distributors and then sit on shop shelves for anything up to 6 months how long should they be dated for? I expect most would be 2 years from date of manufacture.

Brand new SiS gels in with me have a date of Sept '14. I would assume there could be product changes, new flavours, new packaging by Sept '14 so ensuring a reasonable turnover of stock would be important for a brand too.

(Just my thoughts, not those of a manufacturer, though I will ask)

Advertisement