Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary Cap Questions Thread

• 16-09-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

As people try to manage the dreaded salary cap, they are sure to have questions. I thought I'd create this so we can help each other out.

I'll kick things off.

I know how it works for the most part with regards to the cap penalty:

Cap Penalty = (Years remaining/Total Contract years) x Signing Bonus

My question is this; if a player has say a 2 year, $14m contract with zero of that accounting for a bonus and 1 year left on said deal, I won't incur a cap penalty for releasing him and will free up $7m in cap space. However, can I trade him without being liable to incur any cap hit and what would be the implications for my trade partner in said trade? Are they free to negotiate a new contract with that player or will they only be able to keep him for 1 year at a cost of $7m before being able to negotiate with him again when he becomes a free agent? Or have I got that all wrong (quite possible :pac:)?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Going by what happened last year, if you don't offer him a contract and trade the other player gets the chance to offer a contract.

If you offer and he rejects he won't appear in the resigning screen. Salary assumptions are correct paully

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If you trade him - no cap penalty,other team picks up the existing contract and pays him $7m.At the end of that year they can negotiate with him same as other free agents. If you release him whoever picks him up will be a new deal, not necessarily $7m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

adrian522 wrote: »
    If you trade him - no cap penalty,other team picks up the existing contract and pays him $7m.At the end of that year they can negotiate with him same as other free agents. If you release him whoever picks him up will be a new deal, not necessarily $7m
    Going by what happened last year, if you don't offer him a contract and trade the other player gets the chance to offer a contract.

If you offer and he rejects he won't appear in the resigning screen. Salary assumptions are correct paully

Cheers lads.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

But I go offering Houston a huge contract is there a bonus limit for resigning our own players and if so what is it again? my memory is shot :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    But I go offering Houston a huge contract is there a bonus limit for resigning our own players and if so what is it again? my memory is shot :pac:

Dont think theres a limit for re-signing a player Perrin, think that only applies to the FA market

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yep, offer whatever you like to your own players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

To explain.....the reason why the rule is different in Free Agency is to make the competition to sign free agents fair. In FA you can offer max 4 years with max 20% bonus. The stops someone from for example making it more attractive by offering the same amount with say 40% guaranteed or alternatively for say 6 years ( both more attractive to the players ).

With your own players, you are not competing with anyone else for their signature so you are allowed offer whatever you want...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Berty44 wrote: »
    To explain.....the reason why the rule is different in Free Agency is to make the competition to sign free agents fair. In FA you can offer max 4 years with max 20% bonus. The stops someone from for example making it more attractive by offering the same amount with say 40% guaranteed or alternatively for say 6 years ( both more attractive to the players ).

With your own players, you are not competing with anyone else for their signature so you are allowed offer whatever you want...
    Ya I knew why the rule was there for FA I just wanted to double check

Advertisement