Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what mouse trap bait?

Options
  • 16-09-2013 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

hi, im looking for the best mouse trap bait
    any help welcome but please dont start arguing about things as my last thread was closed by people fighting......

what mouse trap bait? 23 votes

chocolate
    8% 2 votes
    peanut butter
    43% 10 votes
    cheese
    34% 8 votes
    sweets (jellies)
    8% 2 votes
    poison
    4% 1 vote
    release
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Peanut butter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Peanut butter also
    Or to rid them ever coming near the house .......ferret sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Irish_Fisher

Peanut butter also
    Or to rid them ever coming near the house .......ferret sh1te

thanks but what will the "ferret sh1te" do? iv'e never heard of that one :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Moving thread to the farming forum, where you should get lots of advice. Please note that there is a different charter in the Farming forum than in Animals & Pets.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Peanut butter is by far the best - the buggers have to stay and lick it off the trap, so there is a good chance of them being in exactly the right places when the trap snaps:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

why is it being put here? would hunting be a more suitable forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Most of us hate those mices to pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

If they are indoors try one of those sonic plug in thingys. We put 3 into the house a few years ago after laying poison and have not had a problem since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Nutella for the trap, like peanut butter they have to lick it off , our black cat for outside, no mice near the place for years , she's available for short term hire :D
    Those sonic things give me a headache, was working in a house that had one and I had to plug it out some of my ancestors must have been rats

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Buckyy

Peanut butter. They go crazy for it, literally caught one in 20 seconds after setting trap with peanut butter bait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

thanks but what will the "ferret sh1te" do? iv'e never heard of that one :P

The smell f a ferret will deter most rodents. Rats and mice won't come around where a ferret has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Best cure for mice inside is to keep them outside. This means mouse proofing all external walls. Look at locations where services enter/exit a building..ie cables/pipes. Cable and pipe runs are the mouse equivalent of the M6. Check that vents have mouse mesh behind them, as they can easily get through slotted vents with no mesh. If there is a gap that you can stick a pencil into, then a mouse will get his head through. Once they can get their head through, they are in. Have a tub of filler, filler knife and a mastic gun with tec7 to hand and seal up around pipes, cable holes etc. Check for gaps down low first off.... so any gaps where paths have come away from wall of house, outflows from bathroom/kitchen sinks, gulleys etc. Also high up....in fascia and soffits- remember mice will scale walls like they are horizontal.

A good half a day should see it all sorted! ;)

If it is an old house with stone walls with a lot of dry joints, consider repointing, or work around room to room inside. Again bathrooms, hot presses and the kitchen should be your first port of call. Seal fully around kitchen and bathroom water and waste pipes. The kitchen is the main one because they have all they need there, plenty of crumbs lying around and heat and water from the condenser unit at the back of the fridge. Keep food in top presses, which are usually more secure because they haven't been butchered by electricians or plumbers running cables/pipes for dishwashers/washing machines. Again pull out machines and pull off kicker board at bottom of presses and see if around waste and water pipes for these have been filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

also look underneath the window sills. amazing the gaps that there can be. All of the above will help reduce draughts etc.

Must try the peanut butter. Just have to keep the child from licking them..............

Have used a bit of raw rasher to good success in the past. You can tie it on with a bit of thread or strand of fine wire to prevent them making off with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Actually, while on the subject of sonic repellers, I wonder will they also drive away Bats? We have them up in the roof space, and I don't want that to happen. Whoever claims that bats cannot be heard should come and listen to the squeaking racket they make coming back home in the early morning! Hope they are eating all the Schellenberg virus midges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

a fella i know swears by garlic butter/paste

thanks but will that be used in a trap or just get them to stay away?

in a trap never used it myself tho

ok ill try it. my shed with all of my fishing gear is full of mice :( i got about 8 in less than a week :(:(:( :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Bacon Rind FTW, and get it well fixed on so they have to tug at it.

Peanut butter is excellent for getting them to the party, but the crafty ones just sit at the side and lick it all off.

Ditto for pate (OK, I was stuck one night:o)

I tried a dog nut once and "something" ate it but the trap was still set afterwards.

Placing the traps is nearly more important than the bait, get them into the places mice want to go. Around the edges of the room and under the kitchen cabinets, under the bath, in the hot press, the veggie drawer. Wedge them into corners or the mouth of holes so they can only approach from the business end. Mousetraps are a very humane way of dealing with mice problems, but only if you set them up right for an effective fast snap.

ok ill try it. my shed with all of my fishing gear is full of mice :( i got about 8 in less than a week :(:(:( :eek:
    Thats good hunting, another trick for your shed would be get a bucket and half fill it with water. get some grain/corn and put it into the bucket and it floats and covers the water. Put something like a chair next to it.
    The mouse climbs up the chair, looks into the bucket and sees grain/corn. The mouse jumps from the chair into the grain and SPLASH. it cant get out if you have the water level right so it drowns and the water settles for the next mouse and so the process begins again. You could get a number of mice this way each night rather than 1 in every trap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Be careful if you're trapping out in the shed that the traps are covered to stop birds getting caught.
    I trapped a wren once and I was disgusted with myself, I had it covered but not well enough.

Advertisement