Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game journalism and criticism

Options
  • 16-09-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭

I saw a few posts in the GTA 5 thread on the topic of its reviews and I didn't want to reply there because I felt it would break away from the original topic. I'll quote the posts I was replying to here instead:
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think it speaks more about the dreadful state of games journalism out there. Far too many of them are immature 20 somethings that fall for the hype everytime and therefore can't give an impartial opinion.

I couldn't agree more. After reading that long Kotaku article about gaming journalism a few months ago, I'm inclined to take Metacritic scores with a pinch of salt. I don't think there's any corruption or bribery (like everyone was being accused of after ME3), I just think game journalists tend to get on the hype train too easily.

Just imagine if a few years back, Roger Ebert was writing articles about how cool the Dark Knight Rises looked and how he was totally stoked because he's been a fan of Batman for years.
    This is why more publications need to do away with review scores...

...As for The Escapist review, the main complaint seems to be that the reviewer didn't like playing as a psychopath...I think a psychopathic player character actually suits the world and gameplay of GTA better than an 'allegedly' well-adjusted one like Nico, creating a contradiction in the process.

That said, I'd love a world where critics were brave enough to voice sensible dissent without facing the inevitable backlash. I've read excellent reviews I've completely disagreed with - the fun part of criticism, and the bit that can help improve our own analytical skills, is proactively engaging and accepting alternate opinions: a trait the most vocal gamers have yet to adapt.

Interesting idea, although doing away with review scores would undoubtedly hurt a lot of publications financially, especially in the score-driven industry of games. I can't think of anyone who I would consider to be Sight and Sound levels of criticism and who could therefore get attention no matter what. There is the matter though that the quick scores make us lazy.

I think a sign of this is in the Escapist review. There were a lot of commenters who just glossed over the review accusing him of just being a troll and for making up stupid reasons to dislike the game, mainly "the character is a bad guy".

Really though, I think he was more criticizing the handling of the anti-hero character in that the characters were completely unsympathetic in any way (unlike other anti-heroes he mentioned). If you look at The Last of Us or Spec Ops: The Line, they handle anti-heroes well and show us why they do what they do. I think it could even work if you play a completely unsympathetic character, depending on how the game frames it. If the game tries to portray someone who is objectively a scumbag as someone we're supposed to like then it messes up, which was one of my biggest quibbles with GTA 4.

And I definitely agree with your last point. Critics like this guy need to be allowed to have opinions. There were loads of comments (some of which seem to have been deleted) about how the commenter will never trust the Escapist reviews again and how they can't be trusted. This is about a game they haven't even played yet. If everyone takes the attitude of "I'll only read outlets that give big scores to the hype games" then it kills the incentive to actually be critical about heavily-marketed games.

Anyway, sorry for walls of text.

TL; DNR what do you think about the current state of game journalism and criticism?

Might add a poll to this at some point.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Put it this way, I didn't bother reviewing GTA V personally because I don't like the series, and I'm fairly sure I'd have been absolutely destroyed by fanboys for giving it 3/5

The flip side to that is that I'd rather have someone who doesn't have a predisposition to disliking the franchise look after it, because I believe my stance handicaps the game from the get go, even if I don't mean to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

who do you review for coyvb ?

Couple of magazines in North America

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Until games journalists learn to not accept thinly-veiled bribes on a daily basis, they'll find it hard to evolve beyond being PR monkeys.

Messageboard/commenter "criticism" is more worthless* than used bog roll -- doesn't matter what subject we're talking about.

*yes, I appreciate the irony of this post

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Personally I stick to reviewers that establish their opinion well (Gametrailers, Giant Bomb, Joystiq) and avoid the sensationalist drivel from "journalists" trying to push an agenda more than provide you with useful information on the game (Gamespot, Polygon, Kotaku)
    Everyone has their tastes in what they want to see from reviews and columns so it's difficult to generalise content and focus as widespread focus without just concentrating on what I personally don't like.

Impartiality is a serious concern, given who they rely on for details, exclusives, previews and especially advertising revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

There are a handful of well respected games journalists whos opinion I always seek out because they are almost always on the money. They don't get on the hype train and they arent cynical or contrarian for the hell of it. You just get a well informed, honest appraisal of a game from someone with a love of gaming.

The internet is full of misinformed people who dont really have a clue what they're on about. Some of my favourite podcasters fit that description. They can be great in other ways but not people you'd go to for "serious games journalism"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I don't read reviews by game journalists... Instead, I read up the various reviews off regular players and the game's forums to get a more balanced view.

e.g. - GameFaq

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I don't read reviews by game journalists... Instead, I read up the various reviews off regular players and the game's forums to get a more balanced view.

e.g. - GameFaq

Christ that's even worse than biased reviewers.

I find a bunch of reviewers I trust and look at what they think of the games and ignore the other idiots at the likes of ign, giantbomb and gametrailers.

Christ that's even worse than biased reviewers.

I find a bunch of reviewers I trust and look at what they think of the games and ignore the other idiots at the likes of ign, giantbomb and gametrailers.

I'd take the opinion of someone that's played hell of a lot longer than a journalist that's only played the game for a few hours...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd take the opinion of someone that's played hell of a lot longer than a journalist that's only played the game for a few hours...

A good journalist will not review a game if they haven't played enough of it. I've seen a lot of good reviewers do that, the bad ones won't.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i pretty much only rely on youtube videos these days, i'll read the odd review just for something to read but I rarely put any stock in them. one exception i remember recently was a review on omerta, a game i was looking forward to.. it just got slated and pretty much turned me off buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

COYVB wrote: »
    Put it this way, I didn't bother reviewing GTA V personally because I don't like the series, and I'm fairly sure I'd have been absolutely destroyed by fanboys for giving it 3/5

The flip side to that is that I'd rather have someone who doesn't have a predisposition to disliking the franchise look after it, because I believe my stance handicaps the game from the get go, even if I don't mean to
    Surely though, as a reviewer, it's part of your job to be able to see beyond your own personal taste and objectively rate a game on it's own merits?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Oddly enough, I don't read reviews until after I finish a game, because I don't want the reviewer's opinion lurking at the back of my mind while I'm playing through. As for the scores, they really don't mean squat to me. I've seen ten out of tens that I've hated, and I've seen 5 out of tens that I've absolutely loved. It's all a matter of opinion. I write a lot of reviews myself, and base them on what I thought of the game. If I liked it, I'll say why. If I didn't, I'll say that too. I won't base them on what others think the game should or shouldn't be like though. I think that would defeat the purpose. I also don't use any kind of score system, as they seem pointless to me. The only time I really read/watch reviews is after I've written and published my own, as a way of comparing notes and seeing other people's reactions to the sane game that I just played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Until games journalists learn to not accept thinly-veiled bribes on a daily basis, they'll find it hard to evolve beyond being PR monkeys.

Messageboard/commenter "criticism" is more worthless* than used bog roll -- doesn't matter what subject we're talking about.

*yes, I appreciate the irony of this post

Had this discussion quite some time ago, and for such an accepted given, it amazes me how little evidence exists to substantiate it.

There's the Eurogamer and Gamespot issues from the last couple of years, and Charlie Brooker has referenced how awkward he found when criticizing a game in PC Gamer, whilst game's company bought advertising in said publication, and the consequences that came in tow. Fine examples, but it doesn't point at any epidemic, merely key exceptions.

Is there any other cases that folk can cite?

On the subject of Youtube reviews, or well, user-generated reviews, 4 out of every 5 seem to quote major publications verbatim, instead of raising their own points, and then sprinkle it with a smidge of undercooked personal experience.

Jim wrote: »
    Surely though, as a reviewer, it's part of your job to be able to see beyond your own personal taste and objectively rate a game on it's own merits?

Easier said than done. A review is about personal preference. I genuinely couldn't give GTA V any more than 3/5, because IMO it's not that great a game. It scores that highly because it's a great technical achievement, is huge, has loads to do and has pretty spot on mechanics. It loses the 2/5 because it's dull, repetitive and devoid of any enjoyment after 5-10 hours. All IMO

That IS me rating the game on its own merits, but I'm someone who doesn't particularly like the game, finds the series boring and isn't a genre fan. You wouldn't have someone who's got no interest in football review FIFA, for example

You wouldn't have someone who's got no interest in football review FIFA, for example

All FIFA games suck - they're all the same since the very first, etc. !!!

/Rabbles on...

IMO

/Rabbles on...

IMO

That'd essentially be the crux of any GTA V review I would do, so you see my point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I only look at the score :D.

I don't like to read reviews as like trailers they tend to ruin the story or set an expectation that I don't want set. They also for the most part commit the biggest sin of all give their personal opinion.

Unless I know them personally their personal opinion is worthless to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think that critics as a whole are probably put on too much of a pedestal. That goes for all media.

There's plenty of games I've played that have been panned by critics but I loved and vise-versa. The same goes for films. I don't read book reviews.

You need to be getting info from a variety of sources and take the good and bad points on board.

Ultimately, it's not like buying a car or a house. It's a trivial expense and I think more can be got from giving your own opinion and having a debate then can be got from blindly following the opinion of another, whether you trust them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

/Rabbles on...

IMO

yeah football games suck since Sensible Soccer and I don't even like football games
    cue someone coming on and saying something like Kick Off 2 FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jim wrote: »

Actually, it's a breath of fresh air to see he'll pass on something he feels he can't review so openly. A lot of the problem I have with reviewers/critics is that they not only review things from their sense of bias, but throw that in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I may have asked this before so sorry for repeating but which specific critics do you think do a good job?

Game journalists often get a few days to devote to just playing the game and most publications won't review it until they've played to the end (where possible). A person on the internet, unless you're already familiar with them, could have never even played the game. I remember seeing a huge comment thread where a guy kept coming back to bash Mass Effect 3 and eventually conceded that he had not even played it once and was basing his opinion on a video walkthrough.
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Had this discussion quite some time ago, and for such an accepted given, it amazes me how little evidence exists to substantiate it...

...Is there any other cases that folk can cite?

There was Doritogate too which was pretty infamous.

ku-xlarge.png

It doesn't suggest a sort of Gamespot-like "we were paid by these guys so we're going to give them a good score" situation but it isn't good when journalists get involved in promoting anything at all, whether its Mountain Dew or Halo (or both as in this case).

Like I said, I don't think there's any actual corruption going on here but there's a perception that the people we depend on to tell us if games are good or bad are being marketed to the same as us before the game even comes out. Opinions can be swayed by things such as exclusive interviews, good relations with the magazine, free merch and so on.
    Easier said than done. A review is about personal preference. I genuinely couldn't give GTA V any more than 3/5, because IMO it's not that great a game. It scores that highly because it's a great technical achievement, is huge, has loads to do and has pretty spot on mechanics. It loses the 2/5 because it's dull, repetitive and devoid of any enjoyment after 5-10 hours. All IMO

That IS me rating the game on its own merits, but I'm someone who doesn't particularly like the game, finds the series boring and isn't a genre fan. You wouldn't have someone who's got no interest in football review FIFA, for example

That sounds like a valuable review to me though. If all of these publications giving GTA full scores put their biggest GTA fan on the job then that is even worse (just an example, can apply equally to any franchise). The opinions of someone who hasn't been impressed by previous iterations matter, because at least then gamers who also weren't impressed with the previous iterations will have someone to take on board.

Personally, my own favourite critic is Ben Crosshaw of Zero Punctuation. I know he's not perfect and his reviews take more time out for jokes but even then, I find them a lot more helpful than the stuff from the IGN, Gamespot et al crowd. I don't always agree with him but he usually makes good points even then. He has a reputation for just picking out the worst parts of games and exaggerating them but most people seem to skip the fact that he does actually recommend plenty of games, just that he points out flaws in these ones.
    • He gets no benefits from the devs, even having to buy the game he's reviewing himself on release date in most cases.
    • He almost never talks about the technical stuff that others devote way too much time too (imo), at best giving a sentence to say "it looks really nice/like ass".
    • He never seems to get sucked into hype, even making a chart to demonstrate why.
    • He tends to just come down harder on sequels to games he liked for not living up to predecessors and his biases against certain games are generally pretty clear and consistent.
    • Finally, no scores, just words.

So yeah, I would like to know any reputably sources to check out for other reviews too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You're wonderfully naive if you think the reviews on there consist of gamers who've played the game for a long time. Fan and company organised campaigns to up or down vote games are depressingly common.

Personally, Let's Plays on Youtube and the opinions of friends who are experienced in the genre are what I go on usually. Posts on here by established users are useful too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm probably repeating myself here from past threads but anyway...

Basically, we need fewer 'reviewers' and more 'critics'. Its the same with film and literary writers. Unfortunately, when it comes to games, all both journalists and readers seem interested in is the question of 'should I buy this?' (I find it amusing that mantra has literally replaced review scores on Kotaku: from one problematic simplification to another).

Now, given the not insignificant cost of gaming, there'll always be a place for reviews - Im sure we can all identify cases where consensus has led us to a hidden gem of helped us avoid a stinker. But few gaming outlets offer more than bog standard reviews, treating games like mere electronic goods than a cultural creation. You can see this in the way absurd concepts like 'replayability', 'lasting appeal', 'value for money' and simple tech specs are still granted such reverence. Critics in other forms have long moved on from such concepts - there's a damn good reason film reviews don't dwell on rewatchability (and length only factors in when it adversely affects the film). Much more interesting are reflections on why a game does or doesn't work, and how it does or doesn't work. I glance at reviews before playing a game or watching a film, but I get so much more out of good writing after the fact, when I can understand the context and engage from my own perspective.

What we need more of are writers who delve deeper into the design, narrative and language of gaming, helping establish the kind of discourse the likes of Cahiers du Cinema did back in the day (it's no coincidence some of the most interesting viewpoints come from developers turned critic or vice versa). Games need to be taken seriously, not just a distraction where we desperately wring every second of entertainment out of the thing.

She's public enemy number one around these parts (ie the Internet), and she's hardly the most persuasive, revolutionary critic who ever lived and she can be infuriating at times. But Feminist Frequency is the kind of thing Id like to see more of. Criticism that places games in a wide cultural context and conducts actual content analysis of them. I'd ideally like to see more specific writing and discussion, though - focused on individual games and creators instead of sweeping, medium-wide ones.

There was an interesting and surprisingly productive debate between Fem Freq and Derek Yu (Spelunky) recently where the latter acknowledged some of the former's observations gave him some serious food for thought about how he could address the concerns in future games. That's a small example of how criticism can matter - encouraging game makers to examine and strive to improve on their creations. It has happened in cinema with the likes of the French New Wave, and fingers crossed we'll see the same sort of thing happen in gaming.

Also, its absurd to dismiss an opinion because you don't agree with it. Some of the smartest, most insightful criticisms I've read have come from people I absolutely disagree with, even if 90% of the time our views tend to align. The other 10% is almost the more valuable percentage. I love reading an impassioned, well argued oppositional viewpoint that helps us develop and articulate our own response to the game in question. That's what criticism is all about, and what the comment section and forum warriors will seemingly never understand.

She's public enemy number one around these parts (ie the Internet), and she's hardly the most persuasive, revolutionary critic who ever lived and she can be infuriating at times. But Feminist Frequency is the kind of thing Id like to see more of. Criticism that places games in a wide cultural context and conducts actual content analysis of them. I'd ideally like to see more specific writing and discussion, though - focused on individual games and creators instead of sweeping, medium-wide ones.

Actually no, we need a lot less of what she does. Critics need to actually know the genre they're dealing with. They need to speak with a voice of experience and hard earned knowledge about the history of it. Critics like her really just stir ****. Which is good for making money off ads but not very interesting really in terms of contributing to the genre. Criticism from out the genre can be very funny, I remember certain literary fiction writers taking J.K. Rowling to task many years back. Their essays were interesting sure, did they have any impact on the young adult fantasy genre? No. Not a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You can see this in the way absurd concepts like 'replayability', 'lasting appeal', 'value for money' and simple tech specs are still granted such reverence. Critics in other forms have long moved on from such concepts - there's a damn good reason film reviews don't dwell on rewatchability (and length only factors in when it adversely affects the film).

There is nothing absurd about any of those concepts.

Games often share elements with literature and film but that is by no means the whole story.
    They also share elements with sports or other hobbies.

Every game doesn't need to be a narrative masterpiece. You could have a brilliant game that has no story at all. Equally you can have a game that doesn't seem much like a traditional game - more of an interactive story.

A game just needs to be true to itself and acheive what it sets out to do.
    Is Crysis 3 a masterpiece of storytelling? Of gameplay? Probably not.
    Is it a technical marvel? Absolutely. That's why it's a lot better than some people give it credit for. It routinely took my breath away at how amazing it looked.

You could just as surely have a game with an engrossing plot, complex and interesting characters but if all the game mechanics are ****e and you don't want to play it then the game could well be terrible.

Dismissing some of the technical aspects of gaming when they are every bit as important as the cultural aspects is very narrow-minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I would like to see a lot less of critics to be honest. The majority of them don't understand how to critique something and end up just being negative for the sake of it and so much of it is personal taste.

Let’s take GTA as it is so new, two online storms at the moment the first from Gamespot that the game is sexist and from the Escapist that the characters are not nice!

You play as three different scum bags who are embroiled in the criminal underworld. Last time I checked it the criminal underworld was not a place for nice guy feminists.

You play as three different scum bags who are embroiled in the criminal underworld. Last time I checked it the criminal underworld was not a place for nice guy feminists.

I remember dying a little inside when the lack of female protagonists was brought up about a squad based wargame set in WW2. Yeah, the vast number of female GIs has been hidden from us for generations.

C14N wrote: »
    I may have asked this before so sorry for repeating but which specific critics do you think do a good job?

The guys at USGamer are all very good, in particular Jeremy Parish who is fantastic. They have a guy there Pete Davison who I completely disagree with and likes some awful crap but he's a great reviewer and backs up his views really well.

I really like Ellie Gibson from Eurogamer. She gets to review an awful lot of crap and yet she always does entertaining reviews.

Freelancers I like would be Kat Bailey, Bob Mackey and Ray Barnholt.

I really like Adam Sessler from Rev 3 games. His co-hosts and reviewers are pretty poor but the Sess is fantastic and really goes in depth on games.

That's just a few off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

nesf wrote: »
    Actually no, we need a lot less of what she does. Critics need to actually know the genre they're dealing with. They need to speak with a voice of experience and hard earned knowledge about the history of it. Critics like her really just stir ****. Which is good for making money off ads but not very interesting really in terms of contributing to the genre. Criticism from out the genre can be very funny, I remember certain literary fiction writers taking J.K. Rowling to task many years back. Their essays were interesting sure, did they have any impact on the young adult fantasy genre? No. Not a bit.

I'm a little confused about what you mean here. As in any critic who comments on a specific genre needs to an expert? Sure there's always a place for the specialist, but there's also a need for more general observers and commentators here. A film critic might specialise in, say, Asian or horror cinema, but they could have incredibly interesting things to say about the romantic comedy they stumbled into by accident. There's tonnes of great writers out there with a narrow, particular focus, but equally there's lots with an extremely broad, all-encompassing one. Both, IMO, are needed in a robust landscape.

Just to restress I don't think Feminist Frequency is a great critic. I think she makes some interesting points and often very well, but I can see her approach taken to a completely different level in different hands.
    Gbear wrote: »
    There is nothing absurd about any of those concepts.

Games often share elements with literature and film but that is by no means the whole story.
    They also share elements with sports or other hobbies.

Every game doesn't need to be a narrative masterpiece. You could have a brilliant game that has no story at all. Equally you can have a game that doesn't seem much like a traditional game - more of an interactive story.

A game just needs to be true to itself and acheive what it sets out to do.
    Is Crysis 3 a masterpiece of storytelling? Of gameplay? Probably not.
    Is it a technical marvel? Absolutely. That's why it's a lot better than some people give it credit for. It routinely took my breath away at how amazing it looked.

You could just as surely have a game with an engrossing plot, complex and interesting characters but if all the game mechanics are ****e and you don't want to play it then the game could well be terrible.

Dismissing some of the technical aspects of gaming when they are every bit as important as the cultural aspects is very narrow-minded.

Didn't make myself clear enough on this point either, apologies. I am not for a second denying technical details are important (personally, I'd put a little more emphasis in the cultural experience, but that's just the way I approach media). Some games are technical marvels, and there's a lot that could be said about the way the likes of Crysis build worlds in giddy, geeky language (I mean that in a nice way). I do take particular issue with replayability though ;) I'm often amazed how people will dismiss a game almost entirely because the designers haven't built the game with multiple playthroughs in mind. That is, I'll use the word again, an absurd way to look at things.

I think I object more to box ticking reviewing. As in the way some publications read like they're just going 'Graphics. Check. Longevity. Check. Voice acting. Check.' These are no doubt worth considering, but in a way every single game needs a unique approach. I can't write about Gone Home and GTA V in the same way. Many publications and many gamers absolutely refuse to acknowledge this, though. IGN used to be the worst, although they seem to have (thankfully) changed - using a specific set of criteria to judge and rate every single game. That's an extraordinarily limited approach to writing about games. The graphics in some games might warrant a brief, throwaway remark, but the mechanics justify 100s or 1000s of words. Writing needs to be much more adaptable depending on the circumstances. It's why ideas like the 'post script' section in Edge are a great idea - allowing the writer to focus on what they really want to talk about, and expand on their ideas without being tied to a rigid 'review' formula.

Alas, one doesn't need to look far (metacritic, gamefaqs etc...) to see how narrow-minded some gamers are when it comes to discussing games in any depth. They get hung up on things like price and length, and have an inability to discuss the core game itself in any depth. Honestly, a lot of the problem is that games journalists react to the gamers - and the gamers that speak up are often the ones not worth listening to.

Advertisement