Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V Impressions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just finished the story, and I'm kind of disappointed. It's better than GTA 4 due to the city, but I actually thought GTA 4's story was better. I mean the heist missions are cool, but there's only 4 of them, and you only get money from two of them.

Character wise, I really didn't like Trevor, Michael is ok when it's with the family stuff as I thought that was interesting, but the crap between him and Trevor was tiring. I liked Franklin since he mostly reminded me of CJ, but there's not really a natural progression that you had with the likes of CJ and Niko with him as he's only a third of the story. On the side characters, I liked Lester, but there's no one else really great. I think the lack of a proper female character was strange, since we've had the likes of Catalina and Kate, who were pretty decent characters.

The setting is great, much better than 4, but the lack of interiors to buildings, especially the ones you buy was disappointing.

Tbh, whilst it's not as disappointing as 4, I find it hard to think it's the same studio who made GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas. The latter two are still better games if they were only released today imo.

Also, some of the final missions were far too easy. Usually it's meant to get harder, but I found the last heist very simple and the final mission kind of anti-climactic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭bezerk

Laggy and graphics awful, played it in a friends, cant wait to get in on PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

titan18 wrote: »
    Just finished the story, and I'm kind of disappointed. It's better than GTA 4 due to the city, but I actually thought GTA 4's story was better. I mean the heist missions are cool, but there's only 4 of them, and you only get money from two of them.

Character wise, I really didn't like Trevor, Michael is ok when it's with the family stuff as I thought that was interesting, but the crap between him and Trevor was tiring. I liked Franklin since he mostly reminded me of CJ, but there's not really a natural progression that you had with the likes of CJ and Niko with him as he's only a third of the story. On the side characters, I liked Lester, but there's no one else really great. I think the lack of a proper female character was strange, since we've had the likes of Catalina and Kate, who were pretty decent characters.

The setting is great, much better than 4, but the lack of interiors to buildings, especially the ones you buy was disappointing.

Tbh, whilst it's not as disappointing as 4, I find it hard to think it's the same studio who made GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas. The latter two are still better games if they were only released today imo.

Also, some of the final missions were far too easy. Usually it's meant to get harder, but I found the last heist very simple and the final mission kind of anti-climactic.

I think this is far superior to all previous GTAs. The level of detail, the dialogue dricing shooting much much better than before.

The plot is nonsensical but im fine with that, they have taken RDR and max payne 3 and gta4 and worked the 3 together.

Its a 10/10 game for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

titan18 wrote: »

I'm absolutely loving it, having a whale of a time, but I would agree with almost all of this. I'm still not hooked on any of the playable characters the way I was with Tommy or Carl, there's a kind of a flatness to the cast, and for a series that's presented some fabulous monsters like Asuka etc in the past the surreal lack of female characters sticks out more than it would otherwise.

The radio chatter etc is far, far better than GTA IV, but there's a tiredness to the parodies now. Little details like people taking photos from Mount Chiliad on their iFruit phones are great - but there's a slight sense of PSOney cheating about buyable buildings just being boxes.

I love all the little details and I'm having a great time, but I do think there's a lack of... I don't know, flair about it. It's technically an incredible achievement, but the sense of mad genius that reared its head in those games is a little lacking. It's not disappointing for me, by any means, and a huge, huge improvement on GTA IV, but I personally do have to agree that it's not a 10/10 game.

All of that said - I will be very interested in any forthcoming expansions. There's an extraordinary world in here that could have a lot more to do in it.

And hey, everything's better with zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I was very disappointed that all the liquor stores and gas stations didn't have an interior. I wanted to rob all of them. There is far too many in and around Sandy Shores that you can't enter. I don't think there is even one you can enter there.

It confuses me why you can't especially as most of the 247 interiors are just copies with different shop keepers. Surely it would add anything size wise to have all filling stations and liquor stores usable?

Like others have said the lack of interiors is very PSone to me.

I am not disappointed, I am just surprised they didn't make more of an effort to sort it.

I love GTAV for its bright beautiful map. Nearly from all locations there is a nice view that changes dynamically with time. Nothing like the dull deary look of GTA IV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'm absolutely loving it, having a whale of a time, but I would agree with almost all of this. I'm still not hooked on any of the playable characters the way I was with Tommy or Carl, there's a kind of a flatness to the cast, and for a series that's presented some fabulous monsters like Asuka etc in the past the surreal lack of female characters sticks out more than it would otherwise.

The radio chatter etc is far, far better than GTA IV, but there's a tiredness to the parodies now. Little details like people taking photos from Mount Chiliad on their iFruit phones are great - but there's a slight sense of PSOney cheating about buyable buildings just being boxes.

I love all the little details and I'm having a great time, but I do think there's a lack of... I don't know, flair about it. It's technically an incredible achievement, but the sense of mad genius that reared its head in those games is a little lacking. It's not disappointing for me, by any means, and a huge, huge improvement on GTA IV, but I personally do have to agree that it's not a 10/10 game.

All of that said - I will be very interested in any forthcoming expansions. There's an extraordinary world in here that could have a lot more to do in it.

And hey, everything's better with zombies.

WARNING: POSSIBLE MINOR EARLY GAME SPOILERS BELOW.

I kind of have this feeling too. While I'm absolutely loving it there seems to be something missing from previous games.

The main story felt 'loose' or something. Hard to explain it, maybe the plot seemed very artificial like the story was made to fit the activities in the missions rather than the other way around and the three characters were just thrown together and were suddenly so close and such a big part of each other's lives.

For example, Franklin coming round to Michael's after breaking into his house, trying to steal his son's car and having a gun pointed to his head, as well as Trevor having this sudden realisation that Michael is in LS and his idiot, meth head lacky, Wade, somehow finding him. I know Trevor had suspicions before that but it was still a bit of a leap.

Another thing was the lack of side characters tied to the main story. In previous games you went through a host of different characters who you help out in various ways. In this there's only really Devon, Dave, Lester (assassination missions) and two or three basic missions for Solomon.

The fact you were given the whole map to explore from the start perhaps contributed to the apparent lack of character progression like you had with CJ and Niko though there's not much they could have done there other than delaying Trevor and Blaine County until further into the game which would have been a far worse option.

It's the perfect foil to GTA IV. A slightly above average story in an otherwise fantastic world versus a great story in an otherwise meh world and game.

Overall, the game is far superior to GTA IV imo. The world, the driving, the shooting, the humour, the soundtrack, the side missions, activities etc are brilliant. While the main story missions are very enjoyable, the story itself just seems a little weak. It's difficult to say right now whether I'd place this above or equal to VC and SA though I dare say it will certainly be remembered and as loved as they are.

Main story: 7/10

Overall: 9.5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Wait till you get to play online aswell, its gonna be fantastic I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Just a note, Trevor recognising Michael's "work" requires a certain amount of coincidence, but it was cute contrivance IMHO -
    Michael used his stock line for threatening witnesses with, and that was what Trevor copped.

I'd wondered why there had been such an emphasis on that in the intro, but I thought it was a neat little device.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The driving is so much worse than IV it's on the verge of being a game breaker. It's obviously not that bad but with the major improvements to gunplay to go backwards so much on driving is a major disappointment. Driving is no longer fun. Throwing a car into a corner doesn't have near the same feel as in IV or even SA. It's very apparent on the bikes too, in SA they felt so loose and it was a joy to go on them but here they're so rigid it takes a lot of the novelty out of it. So far I'm enjoying the game immensely but I cringe every time I have a large SUV or truck and can take a corner like it's a hatchback. First GTA that driving has felt like a problem and it's a shame.

The amount of instant gratification overall is annoying. Nothing to really work towards, planes available easily from the start and things like that, changing the place names actually annoyed me quite a bit as I was looking forward to going through Ganton even if Grove St. wasn't there. Having Grpve being such a nothing place is also annoying. Now there might be a mission later on that counteracts this that I haven't gotten to but if it's a different universe either don't have it or have It serve a purpose, it just looks so horrible and the surrounding areas are so different that it takes away from the original in a lot of ways imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

bezerk wrote: »
    Laggy and graphics awful, played it in a friends, cant wait to get in on PC

*yawn*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Kirby wrote: »
    Its not a sly dig. Its just what the experienced gamer see's versus what the inexperienced doesnt.

You've said yourself you dont actually know what anti alasing is so would you not accept that perhaps you might not be the best judge in a graphical comparison debate? Theres no shame in that, it just the truth.

Im not going to pretend I can tell the difference between a steak I cook and a Michelin star steak from some fancy chef........because I dont know enough to make an informed opinion.

Now, GTAV is a bloody fantastic achievement. How they have managed to produce this sprawling city and make it look good on ancient hardware is a true triumph. Id love to sit down and have one of their developers explain how their black magic works. They did a great job and im thouroughly enjoying the game. Ive sunk over thirty hours into it since release. Its great.

But people claiming it has superb graphics and shouting down those who disagreea are being blinded to the reality....in the same way that every reviewer gave gta4 a perfect ten when ir didnt deserve it........They got caught up in the excitement.

Yes, it looks great for a 360 game but that doesnt mean it holds up to some of the modern pc games of the last few years. It doesnt. People suggesting it does are being silly. Thereis really, realy bad texture scrawl, the limited AA really hurts aswell.....jaggness everywhere. It also chugs along at 15 fps every minute or so due to the massive amount of detail that the console cant handle. When I comes out on ps4 and xbone in a year you will realise that this doesnt actually hold up very well. Now, its stil an achivement to get it running this well on old tech......but its ugly in alot ways.

These are just the facts and calls of "z0mg grafix are da b3st evAr. Stop tr0lling LoL!" Are not only inaccurate but juvenile.

Apart from the condescending "experienced gamer" bull**** I agree with this. If you go back to read the gta IV forums for the first week, I would guarantee that any criticism would be shot down. This is the same. The hype machine will continue to roll until the novelty has worn off.

I am really enjoying it myself though. Wish there was a mission to assassinate the troll who put the ending up here though.

Another thing, whats the story with the mini game you play to improve the dog? I cant find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There are some limitations to the graphics. I think when you get up the vine wood hills and look either way, over the city, or over the county you see something we've never seen in a game before, a view. Its stunning. But at Street level some of the filler buildings and objects look poor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

errlloyd wrote: »
    There are some limitations to the graphics. I think when you get up the vine wood hills and look either way, over the city, or over the county you see something we've never seen in a game before, a view. Its stunning. But at Street level some of the filler buildings and objects look poor.

We've never seen a view in any game before? Not correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Another thing, whats the story with the mini game you play to improve the dog? I cant find it.

iFruit? It's a real app for the iPhone

I downloaded it but it has serious login issues due to being overloaded at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I have been loving the game so far. There is just so much to do. I'm still not very far because I have been caught up with work but now things have got worse. My PS3 just packed it in with the YLOD after over 6 years. My 360 died a couple years ago with the RROD. Arrrggghhh!
    We've never seen a view in any game before? Not correct.

We have seen "views" In other games. The Uncharted series comes to mind for that. Just amazing graphics. But there is one key difference. That view is of an area that is fake. You can't go there. In many games with amazing graphics you are stuck on one linear corridor. You can't decide to take a left down that street because it won't let you. GTA V is such a technical achievement for it to look that good and to have everywhere you see open to you at that moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

IngazZagni wrote: »
    We have seen "views" In other games. The Uncharted series comes to mind for that. Just amazing graphics. But there is one key difference. That view is of an area that is fake. You can't go there. In many games with amazing graphics you are stuck on one linear corridor. You can't decide to take a left down that street because it won't let you. GTA V is such a technical achievement for it to look that good and to have everywhere you see open to you at that moment.

Far Cry, Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Arma, Arma 2, Arma 3 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Far Cry, Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Arma, Arma 2, Arma 3 etc.

I agree all good looking games. None had the shear level of detail present in GTA V however. Far cry series for example., looked great but the environments felt copied and pasted over and over again. Sky rim looked good but not amazing. There were load screens for caves and stuff if I remember correctly. I'm just saying I am impressed with this game from a technical viewpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tennis is really good and so is the golf - was playing as trevor with Michael and Michael kept hitting the water hazard, very funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FireBreather

From all the Forum sites i have being on

as usual the Irish one has to be the most critical and full of moaning in comparison to all of them, haha thats our charm, a good owl cup of tea and moan keeps the blues away

calls for an episode of savage eye haha

I really like the driving in this one, you feel full speed unlike GTA 4 when every car feels like its 8 months pregnant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Really enjoying this now, the characters are all great. Lots of humour, back to San Andreas level.

I'm getting used to the driving but still not that comfortable having to use L2 and R2. Using X for running is also causing me difficulties. The text on screen is hard to read for me.

The whole world looks amazing, some fantastic views overlooking the city at night from the Vinewood hills.

I went to the cinema and watched a pretentious French art house film, was really well done. Some of the TV shows and of course the radio chatter are great fun.

That L2 and R2 buttons are annoying.so uncomfortable. Not GTA fault.Now I see why PS4 are making a big deal about its new controllers. Those buttons and the analog sticks are going to be better as our digits are not going to slip off as much

Trevor is a bit of the star o the show I think, I expected Michael to be a strong player anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Did the stats increase this easy in San Andreas? Without really trying I've maxed out a few stats with each of the characters. Wish there was more of a challenge to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

as usual the Irish one has to be the most critical and full of moaning in comparison to all of them, haha thats our charm, a good owl cup of tea and moan keeps the blues away

complaints about driving etc? relatively common across internationally popular sites. can't people critique a videogame without it being attributed to some unique facet of irishness

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FireBreather

Boognish wrote: »
    complaints about driving etc? relatively common across internationally popular sites. can't people critique a videogame without it being attributed to some unique facet of irishness

Didn't mean no offense was meant to be a funny shot at ourselfs

problems off the internet, in delivery to cadence of message.

yes, there was a slight bit of truth, but wasn't intended to be taking seriously or offensive man

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

no worries at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

calls for an episode of savage eye haha

I really like the driving in this one, you feel full speed unlike GTA 4 when every car feels like its 8 months pregnant

Don't know where you're looking, but I see moaning all around the forums when I search. Some are just never happy, it's not just an Irish thing ;)

I'm constantly amazed at this game. There is just so much to do, I rarely end up doing what i set out to - I almost always get side-tracked after spotting something. It's a great game for the curious :)

For example, early in the game when heading to a mission, I got side-tracked after spotting a chopper land on what seemed like private land - had to go take it for a ride. The pilot just casually walked away as I stole it. No stars or anything.

I've come across numerous other random incidents, people fighting in stores, dead bodies under water with cash around them, dead people on the road, random animals running out in front of you, getting attacked by random drunken red necks in the middle of nowhere, up the mountain side! ... and on, and on .. so much going on I have a tonne of places to re-visit, after spotting something that looked interesting, but I was in the midst of something else at the time.

It's not without it's issues. Had some annoying glitches along the way already, and I'm not that far in. I've gotten wedged between cars and could not get out,with the other cars just refusing to move in any way - had to abandon the vehicle [annoying if it's an uncommon find] - I still hate that they dive like a crash dummies at walls if you're not perfectly in line to jump it, and it also takes them way too long to get up. Often in the stores it's fiddly to get the items to show up for sale, you end up banging about a bit between aisles, and other similar niggles. But they're forgivable as there is so much great about it besides.

It's as much fun to just wander about aimlessly as it is to do the missions.

I can't think of another game out right now that draws you in near as much. With anything close to the amount of things to do. Last one was Skyrim for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Really loving it so far. I actually have to stop playing and give my oldy phat 60gb some time to cool off. It's not that it becomes noisy or starts cutting out, all is fine, but the old girl never in her life had 6-8 hour sessions lol. I am planing on keeping it for a long time so I don't want it to be killed. :)

Game it self is fantastic and huge in scale. what is even better: content is not showed up your throat all the time. Most of the time I pop gta 5 and decide what will I do today. Will I do side missions, will I go hunting? Maybe I will go do some street racing or explore stuff etc.

If I could do one change, then I would do it with garage. I really loved the way garage works in sleeping dogs. You buy a car and it's yours. Always in garage waiting for you. In gta 5 all characters got main car, but I don't like those cars. They should let you change main car permanently at least after you finish the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, the sleeping dogs garage system was good. For anyone who doesn't play, there's a few garages dotted around the city. If you buy a car/bike, it's available from any of the garages. Not realistic, but a good system for a game.

My only problem with this game is the music. It's not great at all. Vice City is still king when it comes to radio stations. All cheesy, but it worked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭carol clery

My impressions after a good solid 10hrs of play -

It is beautiful. Scenery and buildings and vehicles alike. Very well animated.

For me its missing something. I dont know what i expected to be honest but it wasnt this. Im sure it will grow on me over time but im not feeling the same way i did when IV came out.

IV was leaps and bounds ahead of SA(recently bought SA for old times sake but havent played past the first few missions because its soo bad compared to IV)

the vehicle control from SA looks to have been used for V. Barely touch the stick and you shoot into the other lane. The faster the car the worse it is.

It has been 5 yrs in the making but it looks like they spent all the time on how it looks and ran out of time so just tweaked the driving from SA and said "that'll do."

Its is cartoonish driving requiring very litle skill compared to IV. The whole thing of being able to flip your car over after a crash just dumbs down the game imo. It screams of trying to make it easier for all the little kids to play to make sure they keep coming back.

The driving in IV was very very good imo. Power sliding around the corners, slipping through the traffic without bouncing around like a tennis ball.

I think its clear by now that the driving is my main gripe with V and i suppose if thats the biggest issue it cant be too bad of a game after all.

So, 5 days later has my opinion changed?

Yes

The driving is much better now. I don't know if I have gotten better or if the character as level up. I can easly drift a car now.

the game is just so vast. There is just so much to do. All the 2nd & 3rd line mission have so much depth. Still havent got my head around the stock market and the bawsaq isnt working for me.

I rescued some chick in the mountains and got 60k!!! But in general money is much harder to come by then previous gtas. I dont know how many missions ive done and got diddley squat for. This is now my main issue with the game. It is relying on the stock market and the big heists to make cash. Well im shìte at the stocks and after 5 days of playing only done 2 high paying heists.

But it keeps me coming back to try to make the money. I suppose if i really wanted i could use the smuggler runs or taxi but that takes me away from the main story for ages(which i know is the point to make the game bigger and better) but by the time i get back to the main game ive forgotten what im doing.

All in all a fab game

I would do a few things different but sure they never asked me........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

Rockstar really need to something about the small text. Really getting annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Have only played 3-4 hours but really enjoying it. Again, the vastness seems incredible. The level of detail etc. From animals humping each other to outdoor gym goers claiming me because I was staring. Gun range is enjoyable too. Looking forward to getting stuck into it further.

Advertisement