Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V Impressions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Kirby wrote: »
    That's not what I said....so you can that strawman and put it out in the field where it belongs. If you aren't going to bother to read other peoples posts, don't bother responding to them.

I read your post, all 6 paragraphs. Your suggesting that all publications merely follow the next with regards to their analysis and scoring of the game. That is naive at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

I like the driving. What I don't like is if you don't constantly look behind you police seem to stay on your tail even driving against highway traffic. If you dart then look at them they may get hit but I definitely feel I get more space between me and them when I watch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

EazyD wrote: »
    I read your post, all 6 paragraphs. Your suggesting that all publications merely follow the next with regards to their analysis and scoring of the game. That is naive at best.

All 6 paragraphs did not say this. One of them did. Are you choosing to ignore the other 5? I guess so, as it hurts your argument.

And people following suit and following the lead of those around them and their peers is not "naïve" as you put it. It's human nature. We all do it.

The Wii's great isn't it? Lets play some wii bowling. And Avatar! Have you seen Avatar? You haven't!?!? It's so good. And that Obama. CHANGE!!! He's such a good politician, isn't he? Woooooo! Change is coming!

And so on. We conform to those around us. Journalist's are not immune to this phenomenon. You think movie critics didn't wait to see what Roger Ebert had to say before posting their own "thoughts"?

Who called who naïve here....:P

All 6 paragraphs did not say this. One of them did. Are you choosing to ignore the other 5? I guess so, as it hurts your argument.

And people following suit and following the lead of those around them and their peers is not "naïve" as you put it. It's human nature. We all do it.

The Wii's great isn't it? Lets play some wii bowling. And Avatar! Have you seen Avatar? You haven't!?!? It's so good. And that Obama. CHANGE!!! He's such a good politician, isn't he? Woooooo! Change is coming!

And so on. We conform to those around us. Journalist's are not immune to this phenomenon. You think movie critics didn't wait to see what Roger Ebert had to say before posting their own "thoughts"?

Who called who naïve here....:P

Calling you a skeptic would be an understatement. Its Life's Conspiracy's 101, with your host, Kirby

*Bottom line is the game is excellent, every published review reflects this, there's no conspiracy in this regard within the industry I assure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

I like the campaign but the driving has ruined it for me. Car damage is rubbish and that's what I liked about gta 4. Going on a rampage just doesn't feel the same either.

• Advertisement

Calling you a skeptic would be an understatement. Its Life's Conspiracy's 101, with your host, Kirby

Calling basic human psychology a "conspiracy" is ridiculous. I know you are trying to be glib and clever but it's just coming off as uninformed nonsense.

Calling basic human psychology a "conspiracy" is ridiculous. I know you are trying to be glib and clever but it's just coming off as uninformed nonsense.

Glib and clever? All you've offered up is a long spiel of random tidbits, Wii/Obama etc etc... It's pretty much derailed the original discussion. Saying every review is a copycat of the next is simply not true.

Saying every review is a copycat of the next is simply not true.

Correct. Not true. Which is why I didn't say that. At any point in my post.

Ultimately you can try and champion as many reviewers and sites as you want, but any person who lets other people tell them whats good and what isn't and use it as "proof" of their correct opinion....is quite weak minded.

If you think GTAV is a great game, as I do, than stand behind your own opinion. Don't list a dozen reviews like you did and claim it as fact because they say so.

Make up your own mind. You know better than other people what you like and don't like and whats a good game and what isn't.

Correct. Not true. Which is why I didn't say that. At any point in my post.

Ultimately you can try and champion as many reviewers and sites as you want, but any person who lets other people tell them whats good and what isn't and use it as "proof" of their correct opinion....is quite weak minded.

If you think GTAV is a great game, as I do, than stand behind your own opinion. Don't list a dozen reviews like you did and claim it as fact because they say so. Make up your own mind.

I've played the game since Monday night.I did not base my opinion on published reviews, I merely used them to re-enforce my original point, that the general consensus on this game has been hugely positive.I think you've jumped the trigger a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,016 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Any more arguing between PC/Consoles may be actioned with bans. Both have positives and negatives. Choose which you prefer. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

i switched to trevor and found him up a mountain in a dress thats all il say
    I think that's the final nail in the coffin for anyone who thinks IV is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I think I'll make Michael bald and give him a beard, it'll go well with his Max Payne style shooting abilities :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Yeah Driving is a let down in this. Can the car even go on fire from crashing too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Yeah Driving is a let down in this. Can the car even go on fire from crashing too much?

fecking blew up after hitting a wall just as i finished a mission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Timmyctc wrote: »

Yes. Last night I managed to drag the carcass of my stolen Bugstars van to within a stone's throw of the destination, only for the thing to burst into flames out of sheer bloody spite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wow people still whinging about the review scores, its a 10/10 game easy. it nails everything that a 10 game should.

Its flaws are overlooked simply because of whats on offer. if you dont like GTA dont post in the GTA forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Auto aim on Michael was taking the piss in the last few missions. I felt like Mark Wahlberg in shooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

GTA V had made 1 billion in 3 days!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-18-grand-theft-auto-5-was-the-uks-biggest-video-game-launch-ever

Well deserved IMO, this has to go down as the fastest high grossing entertainment product in history surely?

errlloyd wrote: »
    Auto aim on Michael was taking the piss in the last few missions. I felt like Mark Wahlberg in shooter.

You can turn that off in settings, stick it on free aim

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Why are PC gamers hijacking this thread to whine about the graphics? Just wait a few months then you can have all the modded 1600p perfect specs of dirt AAAA detail you want.

Anyway, this game is amazing so far. I can't believe how well done the main characters are and i haven't even got to Trevor yet! I do get sad when i switch to Mike and he's just sitting in a car with his head in his hands, poor guy.

Frankly threads that clearly concern consoles like PlayStation and X Box during a time line where such games are NOT on the PC, as in this situation, any posters who drone on about PC issues should feck off .it is boring.if any poster is stupid enough to suggest X game is better on console than a pc don't reply, let them stew in their stupidity.

Why on earth comment about the joys of pc when the discussion is about games on a console? Who cares whether your a nerd and know lots of stuff about computers? You would swear that the PC posse hold a badge of honour.

Every bloody site that discusses games available for console, where there is an in depth discussion the PC brigade barge in.

• Advertisement

Frankly threads that clearly concern consoles like PlayStation and X Box during a time line where such games are NOT on the PC, as in this situation, any posters who drone on about PC issues should feck off .it is boring.if any poster is stupid enough to suggest X game is better on console than a pc don't reply, let them stew in their stupidity.

Why on earth comment about the joys of pc when the discussion is about games on a console? Who cares whether your a nerd and know lots of stuff about computers? You would swear that the PC posse hold a badge of honour.

Every bloody site that discusses games available for console, where there is an in depth discussion the PC brigade barge in.

Mod warning from a few posts ago:
    Any more arguing between PC/Consoles may be actioned with bans. Both have positives and negatives. Choose which you prefer. End of.

No more discussion on PC/Consoles please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

GTAV had blown GTAIV out of the water, more interested in the cut scenes in V.
    I had a habit of skipping it in IV.Only got to Trevor last night who I thought would be my favorite character but I'm loving Michael's story and family.Franklin is meh.

Driving is fine I think only bad thing is other drivers cutting me off.

Don't like the lack of stores to rob.

Can't wait for online I must try to have game cleared by then:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Love the game but only let down is the three star wanted level in the airport, not impressed!

Love the game but only let down is the three star wanted level in the airport, not impressed!

Why was the same in San Andreas, you're not supposed to be in there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Really enjoying this now, the characters are all great. Lots of humour, back to San Andreas level.

I'm getting used to the driving but still not that comfortable having to use L2 and R2. Using X for running is also causing me difficulties. The text on screen is hard to read for me.

The whole world looks amazing, some fantastic views overlooking the city at night from the Vinewood hills.

I went to the cinema and watched a pretentious French art house film, was really well done. Some of the TV shows and of course the radio chatter are great fun.

The humour is definitely a big step forward from the last game. GTAV made me laugh more in one mission than in the whole of Saints Row IV.

Penn wrote: »
    The humour is definitely a big step forward from the last game. GTAV made me laugh more in one mission than in the whole of Saints Row IV.

some of Trevor and Michael's dialogue and banter is gold. The street stuff too, take the Vinewoood tour, its genuinely laugh out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Thoroughly enjoying it keep getting distracted from the main missions :$ no major complaints.

I like the driving, the cops are hard enough, the music was sub par until I switched to Michael crusing along to radio ga ga.
    I'm not big fan of the shooting mechanic for some reason. Also flying choppers is a pain in the ass rocking side to side all the time.

Only big bug bear is that you don't find out what the mini objectives are until you complete a mission or am I missing something.

So far I'd go 96/100 don't do 10/10. Too inaccurate :pac: on par with TLOU maybe even a little better.

Ps Trevor is just one of the best characters I have come across in any game for soo many reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

My experience has been little short of superb. . The storyline is great, I am particularly enjoying Michael's family story and there are elements to the way it plays out that has me feeling sympathy for the character that I cant remember having for other characters in the past. Since there are 3 main characters that you can interchange (a superb addition to the game) I love the way you are not stuck with a main character you may not enjoy. Incidentally, I think all three characters are entertaining in their own way.

One or two of the missions where you have to change between characters have been so enjoyable its not funny.

Worth the wait , 9-10/10

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    My experience has been little short of superb. . The storyline is great, I am particularly enjoying Michael's family story and there are elements to the way it plays out that has me feeling sympathy for the character that I cant remember having for other characters in the past. Since there are 3 main characters that you can interchange (a superb addition to the game) I love the way you are not stuck with a main character you may not enjoy. Incidentally, I think all three characters are entertaining in their own way.

One or two of the missions where you have to change between characters have been so enjoyable its not funny.

Worth the wait , 9-10/10

The heists with switching between them on the fly are brilliant, especially the A-Team inspired one.

Advertisement