Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered Post, no proper receipt available

Options
  • 17-09-2013 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I sent a registered letter to a named person in a government dept. The post office would not give me a proper proof of posting. All they would offer is a till receipt with a tracking number.

The receipt proves nothing as it has none of the receivers detail on it. I remember getting a proper registered mail receipt in the past with the receivers name and address on it.

How am I supposed to prove I send the person a letter?

The tracking number is your proof and I would think that the address has been recorded electronically in case the post goes astray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I only ever send via registered post and never once have I had the recipients address printed on the receipt. I've only seen the destination country on the receipt.

I think in the UK they print the recipients address on the receipt, but I am open to correction on that as I am not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Registered letters aren't really proof of delivery or posting. There's another type of postage which does this and was posted, IIRC, in this forum a while back but I can't remember what it's called. I do know that who ever posted it said that most post offices don't know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

most registered mail is delivered separately to the regular mail and sometimes will be signed for by the Porter or Receptionist in the building. You should be able to ask An Post for a copy of the signature of the person that signed for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

When you're handing something in, you can always ask for proof of postage separately - it's just a hand written form that they fill in the "To", then stamp it. Registered post is more for proof of delivery.

Once or twice at the post office I've asked for proof of postage and they've given me the postage receipt and I've had to insist on getting the other form. If they claim not to have any, ask them to note the details on the back of the receipt and stamp that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I wasn't suggesting that it was - I was merely pointing out that in large organisations, it is unlikely that the recipient will sign for registered mail personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Toast4532 wrote: »

I think in the UK they print the recipients address on the receipt, but I am open to correction on that as I am not 100% sure.

They put the Post Code on the receipt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Proof of postage is availible through the track and trace system. If a registered letter is sent, it is now signed for on one of those electronic pencil and pad thing-a-ma-gigs (not the actual name:)) . When you go to the track and trace web page you can request a email copy of the signature of the deliver record . See attached screen-shot

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Tow

I said it before and I'll say it again: Registered post is proof of a posting, if you want to prove who it was sent to you need a Certificate of Posting.

BTW: As Post staff do not know this, you will have to print off the page linked to below before you can persuade them fill out the Certificate of Posting.

From An Posts web site
    Before you post:
    - Ask for a Registered Post label at your local Post Office.
    - Declare the accurate value of the item you are sending.
    - Attach the correct postage on to your item.
    - Hand the item over the counter.
    - Your transaction receipt is proof of posting and includes the Track & Trace ID number to track your item.
    - If you require evidence to whom the item was sent please ask for a Certificate of Posting at the time of posting.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement