Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Leaving Cert Help

• 17-09-2013 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi, so I'm doing Geography for the Leaving and I really need an A in it. My question is as follows, when discussing climatic regions for example language or religion why do we study Belgium (which has basically two conflicting languages within the country) and Northern Ireland (which has two religions within the area), these clearly can't be given as examples of regions? Because a region is an area on the earth's surface with similar charicterstics.

Would I be ok learning Gaeltacht for language and Islam for religion? Or do questions come up where they ask for conflicts within an area.. :s
    Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'm pretty sure the wording is along the lines of "an area defined by religion" or language. I think the logic is that Belgium is a region in that it's one country, and it happens to be split on the inside. Whatever the case, all the books I ever used had notes on it...it never occurred to me that you couldn't use it. Likewise with Northern Ireland. I think there's more to write about for Belgium too.

You'd be fine with the Gaeltacht but it's a bit less factual and more waffley. I'm not sure about Islam, I never looked at it, but if you can find enough SRPs on it I'm sure it's fine - but so is Northern Ireland I imagine. It's what most people do, they won't just not accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Canard wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the wording is along the lines of "an area defined by religion" or language. I think the logic is that Belgium is a region in that it's one country, and it happens to be split on the inside. Whatever the case, all the books I ever used had notes on it...it never occurred to me that you couldn't use it. Likewise with Northern Ireland. I think there's more to write about for Belgium too.

You'd be fine with the Gaeltacht but it's a bit less factual and more waffley. I'm not sure about Islam, I never looked at it, but if you can find enough SRPs on it I'm sure it's fine - but so is Northern Ireland I imagine. It's what most people do, they won't just not accept it.

Thank you for answering. Yes, I think you are correct about an area definied by religion but alot of the time it does say a cultural region. I'm a bit confused about that seeing as Belgium is used as an example by our teacher but wouldn't Wallonia or Flanders be the example of a region? I asked my teacher and she gave me notes on the Gaeltacht.. :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

yoyojc wrote: »
    Thank you for answering. Yes, I think you are correct about an area definied by religion but alot of the time it does say a cultural region. I'm a bit confused about that seeing as Belgium is used as an example by our teacher but wouldn't Wallonia or Flanders be the example of a region? I asked my teacher and she gave me notes on the Gaeltacht.. :S
    For cultural region I think we might have done the Gaeltacht actually, the culture being the language. I guess that means Belgium might work there too, but see sometimes they ask for conflict, which is where Belgium is required. I suppose they would be the specific regions, but either way they'll definitely take Belgium for a question on language. :)

Canard wrote: »
    For cultural region I think we might have done the Gaeltacht actually, the culture being the language. I guess that means Belgium might work there too, but see sometimes they ask for conflict, which is where Belgium is required. I suppose they would be the specific regions, but either way they'll definitely take Belgium for a question on language. :)

Thanks for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Dont bother with what your teacher tells you to do. I repeated in a school that was ok. But my teachers the previous year were incredible( most of them did taught classes in the institute) so I did what my good teacher the previous year told me what to do and I did far better than most of my year.

Buy the study skills geography book. It has all the essays you need and just learn it immediately. Im sure you teacher is great, but this book is amazing. It has all the SRPs you need and I learnt the book off by heart and I could ask all the questions perfectly. I got an A2 in geography( my project brought me down the grade). But I got 78 marks in the geoecology question, 78/80, 76/80 & 65/80 in the other questions. I didnt open a text book one and I did really well.

Start learning your essays ASAP and dont predict

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

hfallada wrote: »
    Dont bother with what your teacher tells you to do. I repeated in a school that was ok. But my teachers the previous year were incredible( most of them did taught classes in the institute) so I did what my good teacher the previous year told me what to do and I did far better than most of my year.

Buy the study skills geography book. It has all the essays you need and just learn it immediately. Im sure you teacher is great, but this book is amazing. It has all the SRPs you need and I learnt the book off by heart and I could ask all the questions perfectly. I got an A2 in geography( my project brought me down the grade). But I got 78 marks in the geoecology question, 78/80, 76/80 & 65/80 in the other questions. I didnt open a text book one and I did really well.

Start learning your essays ASAP and dont predict

Surprisingly I ctually agree with this. You don't particularly need the basics except for the short questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

So true, **** the books out the window, but keep the core book for short qns, which are based on physical and regional geography, i remember for my leaving cert, our teacher made us copy her answers off the whiteboard. 74 30 mark qns done in total covering physical, regional, geo ecology and the economic section. I had a fair good knowledge of them, combined with a decent enough project and bam... A1 how are ya :P

So true, **** the books out the window, but keep the core book for short qns, which are based on physical and regional geography, i remember for my leaving cert, our teacher made us copy her answers off the whiteboard. 74 30 mark qns done in total covering physical, regional, geo ecology and the economic section. I had a fair good knowledge of them, combined with a decent enough project and bam... A1 how are ya :P

Absolutely, I got two Geography books yesterday. Both of them contain full exam model answers with SRPs. So I'm going to get cracking on learning them tonight. However, how many answers did you know going into the exam, surely there's alot!

Yeah, I've never had a good geography teacher. In Junior Cert my teacher couldn't have cared any less about any of her classes. Guess it's self instructed learning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Absolutely, I got two Geography books yesterday. Both of them contain full exam model answers with SRPs. So I'm going to get cracking on learning them tonight. However, how many answers did you know going into the exam, surely there's alot!

Yeah, I've never had a good geography teacher. In Junior Cert my teacher couldn't have cared any less about any of her classes. Guess it's self instructed learning!

I didn't do it for Junior cert and got an A so you're at no disadvantage there... you don't need every sample answer! Be smart about it and know which ones are nearly guaranteed every year.

I kinda had a load of general questions done out, for example for the regional section we did the BMW, GDA, Paris Basin, Mezzogiorno and Brazil. Primary, Secondary and Tirtary activities in them all. I had a basic qn done out on each activity and added in a few bits which were relevant to each region. For the geo ecology the biome was all i learned, but they are phrasing the questions on this very awkward lately.Physical i knew about 10 qns ranging from waterfalls, three gorges dam in china, geotherml energy etc. If you look in the papers from Q1, Q2 and Q3 each question generally deals with a topic. River processes/mass movement/sea nearly always comes up, so i knew them well. Thats what worked for me anyway, saves you learning off hundreds of questions. Be wise with what you learn off and know the ones that often come up. A good teacher is half the battle, she done all our questions out, we needed no extra books or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Does anyone have any tips for doing sketch maps. I am awful at doing the outline and I am no good at art!

All you need to do is draw a square or triangle to show the place. Do you divide the original photo/o.s map into 9 sections?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fishnetsxD

Hi, so I'm doing Geography for the Leaving and I really need an A in it. My question is as follows, when discussing climatic regions for example language or religion why do we study Belgium (which has basically two conflicting languages within the country) and Northern Ireland (which has two religions within the area), these clearly can't be given as examples of regions? Because a region is an area on the earth's surface with similar charicterstics.

Would I be ok learning Gaeltacht for language and Islam for religion? Or do questions come up where they ask for conflicts within an area.. :s
    Thank you :)
    Hey I am a geography student too, and I am kind of struggling too!
    I would only learn one out of language and Religion cause they only really ask you to choose out of one of them as a cultural indicator.
    And for Religion would you not do more than one?
    I am planning on writing on 4 religions, catholics, islam, jew and hindus.
    I can compare them all towards each other and you just need to learn like a few things about each and compare them easily.
    You can compare them with clothes, laws + rules, beliefs, diet etc.
    E.g Strong Catholics cannot drink alcohol on Good Friday or eat meat on Ash Wednesday. Jews have a eating method called kosher. Islams celebrate Ramadan. Thats three comparatives already and just add in more detail.

For language you can talk about the gaeltacht and the declining of those who speak irish.
    Belgium is also a case study.

Does anybody have notes on nations/ nation states or likes of those? btw :)

fishnetsxD wrote: »
    Hey I am a geography student too, and I am kind of struggling too!
    I would only learn one out of language and Religion cause they only really ask you to choose out of one of them as a cultural indicator.
    And for Religion would you not do more than one?
    I am planning on writing on 4 religions, catholics, islam, jew and hindus.
    I can compare them all towards each other and you just need to learn like a few things about each and compare them easily.
    You can compare them with clothes, laws + rules, beliefs, diet etc.
    E.g Strong Catholics cannot drink alcohol on Good Friday or eat meat on Ash Wednesday. Jews have a eating method called kosher. Islams celebrate Ramadan. Thats three comparatives already and just add in more detail.

For language you can talk about the gaeltacht and the declining of those who speak irish.
    Belgium is also a case study.

Does anybody have notes on nations/ nation states or likes of those? btw :)

They can also ask religious conflict questions.
    You could discuss Northern Ireland :)
    And don't forget the Mother and Child scheme. :D

What book is this?

Advertisement