Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overpriced housing

Options
  • 17-09-2013 8:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭

Why are some sellers still overpricing housing. Looked at 3 houses this year and all 3 (being POA) have been 100k+ overpriced.

I know private sellers overestimate their worth, but am i missing something? Should I make an offer at the market value anyway?

Any advice welcome

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Offer what ever you feel the house is worth. They might come down by 30-40k initially, but you will have to meet them somewhere in the middle then if you really want the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

beertons wrote: »
    Offer what ever you feel the house is worth. They might come down by 30-40k initially, but you will have to meet them somewhere in the middle then if you really want the house.

As an example 2 houses sold in one estate for 270k and 283k this year, same style house. The house we looked at is identical. They want 430k for it????

Even if they came down by 30-40k that's still 100k over the market price. So that's what i meant by am i missing something, are some people just living in 2006 or am i missing something.

All are with various Agents. So should agents not advise them or do they not give a c**p as they are still getting paid....Or are the sellers just being unrealistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

some sellers are realistic others are not. Generally if a house is POA I wouldn't bother your ass ringing about it as that really means.

The price is so stupidly high we aren't posting it as nobody would ring otherwise.

Some sellers also are not really trying to sell but are making it look like they are to hold off the banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

D3PO wrote: »
    some sellers are realistic others are not. Generally if a house is POA I wouldn't bother your ass ringing about it as that really means.

The price is so stupidly high we aren't posting it as nobody would ring otherwise.

Some sellers also are not really trying to sell but are making it look like they are to hold off the banks.

Ah that would explain it......I knew something was up..

Ok thanks for the responses..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The Property Price Register will give a fairly good idea of the market in a particular area. Some people are still living in 2007 and cannot accept what has happened the market

• Advertisement
Advertisement