Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another issue with courier delivery

Options
  • 17-09-2013 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭

There seem to have been a lot of threads on this lately, so just wanted to see if others shared my course of action on this one. My parents bought something from a big electronics supplier in the UK, as they have done many times before. A courier was to be used for delivery... all standard. Three weeks later, no package. They rang the supplier, and asked where it was. Supplier didn't really know, only that it was listed as in transit. So after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing, they managed to find out the tracking number of the package as despite what you are supposed to do, it is often far quicker to track missing packages yourself than it is to get the supplier to do it. (Basically, the supplier won't bother). Turns out, after a few rather frustrating phonecalls to the courier, that the package arrived in Ireland 7 days ago, and has been in the back of the delivery drivers lorry ever since. Seems he didn't want to come deliver it because it is quite a bit out of the way. According to my folks, this is not the first time this has happened with this courier company. Despite apologies, and promises that it would be delivered yesterday, it didn't show up. They are understandably raging. Again, it seems to be a delivery driver who can't be bothered going out of his way. Disgraceful. My advice to them is to write a letter (not an email) and send it, registered, to the courier company and the electronics supplier... labelled with both addresses so they know who else is receiving it! And maybe cc it to the consumer agency as well. My question is this... is that the best course of action or should we do something else as well? Note: No "we missed you" notes were posted through letterboxes or anything like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You've no contract with the courier company so there's no point in contacting them. You only option is to get the vendor to ask for the item back and get then to use a different courier company. Barring that and assuming it was bought using a CC do a charge back and buy off a different vendor who uses a different courier company, but the delivery guy will still have the same issue.

The reason why the courier won't deliver is because it's costing him more than he's getting paid to deliver to your location. If the real cost of delivery was included the item wouldn't be as cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You should deal only with the vendor, as they are the ones with the contract with the courier. Just let them know that you have not yet received your item.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats what I told them basically :D They are insisting on chasing the courier as they say it'll be quicker. I'd do it the correct way if it were me!

With a holiday coming up they're in an unnecessarily blind panic over the whole thing as couriers in the past have left it at the door in the rain. I told them not to worry about that either as you can say you never signed and that it was destroyed when you arrive.

Its amazing how little people know of their consumer rights in Ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Its amazing how little people know of their consumer rights in Ireland :(

Irish consumer rights don't come into affect when you purchase outside of Ireland. You need to contact the ECC to find out your rights when dealing with an EU country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Package has arrived! My folks insisted on chasing down the couriers.

Upshot of it is that the company had the package in the back of a van for three days. It had an address on it, but no number and the delivery driver refused to follow it up. He had marked it as delivered and left it in the van.

Package was ripped to bits when they finally picked it up from the depot yesterday. There was a bit missing that was found on the floor of the depot.

Madness! I told them what they should do in the future. Not sure to what avail though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Del2005 wrote: »
    Irish consumer rights don't come into affect when you purchase outside of Ireland. You need to contact the ECC to find out your rights when dealing with an EU country.

It depends on where the contract is concluded. UK rights are broadly the same as ours to be fair. As for the SmCC you can take a case in Ireland (even if the contract is concluded outside) but good luck enforcing it. Most places have a T&C that the contract is concluded until delivery (avoiding the €1 TV antics) so the contract would be concluded in Ireland. That said, they may also have a jurisdictional clause, at that point you have me stumped! :D

As for tracking - IMHO - contract or not, I always track my own stuff. Get a tracking number as soon as it's dispatched and keep an eye on it on the web. I don't order from anywhere (save the occasional Amazon order as they're quite good) that can't give me a tracking number. I've had stuff shipped from all over the world and never had any bother, despite the fact An post never knock my door.

Package was ripped to bits when they finally picked it up from the depot yesterday. There was a bit missing that was found on the floor of the depot.

They really shouldn't have accepted the goods and instead refused delivery on the grounds of damage. Make the courier return them to the retailer.

I had an experience with DPD recently where a parcel was damaged in transit. To be fair with DPD, they opened a investigation with the retailer, returned it to the retailer on their own bat and a few days later the retailer sent me a new parcel. Decent service, but I think a lot depends on the local depot with which you are dealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I work in An Post (van driver)

I have heard loads of complaints this past few months about couriers and the quality of service they (some) provide. It appears their profit margins are so tight their delivery hit rates are effected as described by op. Some houses are out of the way and it aint worth their while. An Post have no choice under USO but to deliver to every house every day.

Thats why I always insist on parcels being posted to me by registered mail or express with signature. I dont mid if it increases cost slightly but at least I know I will get it.

We deliver your promise

Regards
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Sounds like the driver I once met... called me to ask to meet him six miles away as he did not want to come all that way..... another from the same firm dumped two large boxes over a gate into a field full of cattle... Now I specify post ONLY or no sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

LeoB wrote: »
    I work in An Post (van driver)

I have heard loads of complaints this past few months about couriers and the quality of service they (some) provide. It appears their profit margins are so tight their delivery hit rates are effected as described by op. Some houses are out of the way and it aint worth their while. An Post have no choice under USO but to deliver to every house every day.

Thats why I always insist on parcels being posted to me by registered mail or express with signature. I dont mid if it increases cost slightly but at least I know I will get it.

We deliver your promise

Regards
    Pat

Hi Pat,

How come the driver never delivers to my home address despite numerous complaints to the Dublin 8 Depot. There's a loading bay outside my gaffe about 20m away. I live in the quays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Bepolite wrote: »
    Hi Pat,

How come the driver never delivers to my home address despite numerous complaints to the Dublin 8 Depot. There's a loading bay outside my gaffe about 20m away. I live in the quays.

I've noticed a big difference between An Post town deliveries and their rural deliveries.

Out in the sticks An Post is much more reliable than any of the couriers but in the towns it can be the other way around.

Posters - please stick to the original topic

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Bepolite wrote: »
    Hi Pat,

Phone customer service if you get no joy at sorting office 1850 575859
    I've noticed a big difference between An Post town deliveries and their rural deliveries.

Out in the sticks An Post is much more reliable than any of the couriers but in the towns it can be the other way around.
    I deliver to both and to be honest I dont notice any difference. I am the only van delivering in my area so know every house, lane, nook and cranny. Parking can be an issue in some towns. An Post have a USO Universal Social Obligation to deliver to every address in Ireland and this is why they are so dependable. There is also no substitute for local knowledge when it comes to rural deliveries. The post person would know all the families, which is helpful when you often have multiple families of the same name on one road or in one town land especially in rural areas.

As for the OP I would do as has been suggested request the vendor to sort this out. I would also never accept an item without examining the box it comes in from how I have seen some couriers throw parcels around.

Advertisement