Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex Husband removed me from the electoral register roll

• 17-09-2013 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct place for this.

Is it an offence for a person to remove you from the electoral roll without advising you when they knowing are able to advise you of it?

I have been trying to do a change of address for my electoral register. I checked my old address and I am no longer registered there. My ex husband however is.

I have never removed myself from this. I asked my ex husband and he says that he didn't but upon investigation I have found that they normally do door to door canvassing in the summer to update the register so he is the only person who could have taken me off it?

I should have chased up on this sooner I know, but very annoyed that I am not missing out on my right to vote because of it.

My ex husband is currently holding up our seperation agreement as I am unable to secure a replacement gaurantoor on my credit union loan, is this something I should mention to my solicitor.

I am not one for tit for tat but this really annoyed me he easily could have text to say they had been around updating the records etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

AS far as i know he would have filled in the form @ the door or sent it off listing the people living there and as you don't they would have taken you off

Could have just not bothered to let u know outta spite or he may have though you registered elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

If he was asked who was living there and you weren't then its legit. You should register to vote where you live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

You should register to vote where you live.

Yes I am aware of that, it's not easy to remember all the nitty gritty details when your marriage breaks down :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

I don't see how the husband has any responsibility here.

You say you can't be expected to remember all the details, fair enough, but why should be be expected to?

Assuming he maliciously chose not to tell you is poor form.

I don't see how the husband has any responsibility here.

You say you can't be expected to remember all the details, fair enough, but why should be be expected to?

Assuming he maliciously chose not to tell you is poor form.

I know him and I know that he would have choosen not to tell me about this given that we have had a very sour seperation.

I just wanted to know if what he did was legal or not and from the responses it would appear that what he did was allowable but very poor form that he never bothered to text to advise of same.

Case closed so!

• Advertisement

As suspected, poor form post not being sent on, please lock this up I got my answer

During the annual update of the register our field workers gather information from sources including directly from any household.

Where a deletion is made, a letter is sent to that address advising that the deletion is going to be made and to contact if that is incorrect. In your case, a letter issued to ******* on 15th October 2012 requesting you to contact us within 10 days if the removal was incorrect.

As there was no further contact received, the deletion went ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Bar not passing on your post he did nothing wrong . The canvasser asked did you live there - he answered truthfully no . He would have been committing an offence if he lied . I don't condone him stealing your post but I understand why he did it - to avoid a row .

desbrook wrote: »
    Bar not passing on your post he did nothing wrong . The canvasser asked did you live there - he answered truthfully no . He would have been committing an offence if he lied . I don't condone him stealing your post but I understand why he did it - to avoid a row .

No arguement would have occured if he had of text me to say I have some post can I drop it in your letter box, yeah fine thanks no problem.

His property tax letter came to my house for him and I posted it to him, no argument!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Fiona wrote: »
    Yes I am aware of that, it's not easy to remember all the nitty gritty details when your marriage breaks down :mad:

You are not living in the house so you are not entitled to be on the electoral registrar for that address. When asked by the door callers or if submitting the form by post he was right. You will have to find something else to bitch about

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    You are not living in the house so you are not entitled to be on the electoral registrar for that address. When asked by the door callers or if submitting the form by post he was right. You will have to find something else to bitch about

He was right up update my details not disputing that just annoyed he didn't drop me a courtesy message to advise or forward on the letter to me he has all my contact details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It wasn't nice of your ex not to tell you about the electoral roll. But as others have pointed out, he's done nothing wrong.

Your marriage has broken up. Not a nice thing to go through, and it must be awful for you. But I wouldn't waste any more time or emotion on this. Simply add your name to the roll wherever you live and move on.

You've much bigger fish to be frying OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Since you now have to pay to forward a letter to someone, I "return to sender" all mail I receive at my rented accom that's not for me.

As you said, it's not a "good" breakup, so you should expect some level of spitefulness.

As others have said, if you were that concerned about voting, you should have registered yourself at new address.

Have you thought what other institutions might have your old address, you should consider doing an update of your address with all of them.

But I wouldn't waste any more time or emotion on this.

I am trying not to, he has just pushed me to the brink of melt down with pressure trying to clear a loan I have that he is guarantor on as I can't get a replacement guarantor and this incident just pushed me over the edge so I apologise for the sharp replies :(

I just needed to let off steam with people who understood.

Bogger77 wrote: »

Have you thought what other institutions might have your old address, you should consider doing an update of your address with all of them.

I sat down and made a list of what I thought was all of them but I obviously missed this one.

There will always be one thing that slips through the net :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's OK. No need to apologise!

But make a list of people you need to notify of your change of address and get on to them. I'd also arrange for An Post to re-direct your mail too. That way, there'll be no more stress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Fiona wrote: »
    He was right up update my details not disputing that just annoyed he didn't drop me a courtesy message to advise or forward on the letter to me he has all my contact details.

Courtesy? You have broken up. Don't be expecting any help from your ex.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Courtesy? You have broken up. Don't be expecting any help from your ex.

Maybe I was just raised with too much manners so.

Advertisement