Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't received my tax back yet

Options
  • 17-09-2013 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi all,

I lodged my tax return in early July, then recieved a letter to say they are investigating the amount of tax payed on my earnings and that the latest I would receive it would be sept 6th. I did my return myself and have all my paperwork and filled everything in with no exaggerations.

Also a couple of weeks ago I recieved a statement from my super which was nowhere near up to date so I called the ATO to report my previous employer.

Now I'm wondering if he has even payed my tax, Can anyone tell me where I stand here, I am owed a lot back in tax and kind of relying on it!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

If you have been financially disenfranchised by an individual you could always take them to court to recoup your losses, the main difficulty with this is that id say your back in Ireland at the mo? and this would be difficult, hiring a solicitor would be the only course of action and the money you see from that could be limited. Personally if it were me id go the court route even if it didnt see a penny out of it it would be worth it to see that git get what he deserves. On top of whatever funds the legal team receives assuming he is guilty he'll be on the hook with the tax office, he'll have to pay back taxes, interest and penalties. The more financial pain that is inflected on this individual will surly make them think twice before they rip off a backpacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

ifeelill wrote: »
    If you have been financially disenfranchised by an individual you could always take them to court to recoup your losses, the main difficulty with this is that id say your back in Ireland at the mo? and this would be difficult, hiring a solicitor would be the only course of action and the money you see from that could be limited. Personally if it were me id go the court route even if it didnt see a penny out of it it would be worth it to see that git get what he deserves. On top of whatever funds the legal team receives assuming he is guilty he'll be on the hook with the tax office, he'll have to pay back taxes, interest and penalties. The more financial pain that is inflected on this individual will surly make them think twice before they rip off a backpacker.

I'm still here and was told he had until the 14th of aug to lodge his taxes, I have my pay slips and group cert on paycloud on the net so have everything, I wouldnt mind if it was 1500 or so but it almost 8000 and its mine, so I want it. I just thought maybe its the ATO's obligation to chase him as opposed to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

cikearney wrote: »
    I'm still here and was told he had until the 14th of aug to lodge his taxes, I have my pay slips and group cert on paycloud on the net so have everything, I wouldnt mind if it was 1500 or so but it almost 8000 and its mine, so I want it. I just thought maybe its the ATO's obligation to chase him as opposed to mine.

Do you mind me asking how you get 8k back in taxes? to me it seems like a large amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you have payslips and groupcerts from your employer then I don't see the problem with you unless they are different from what the employer actually reported to ATO.

$8000 refund is a fair whack and could itself possibly trigger an audit which could hold it up, happened to me last year when mine was $7000 they sprang an audit about 3 weeks after I put my return in and it wasn't sorted until November. This year my tax was basically a mirror of last year but because I had done a Tax Witholding Variation and withheld less tax throughout the year my refund was only $3500 and didn't get audited.

danotroy wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how you get 8k back in taxes? to me it seems like a large amount.

Very possible if OP had been ticked (taxed) as a non-resident for tax purposes throughout the year but later claim to be resident for tax purposes. First $18200 is tax free for RFTP which if Non-RFTP would pay about $5900 tax on that first $18K alone. or if they claimed $ 24K in deductions would give about $8k.

In theory if all the right boxes are ticked and you are not claiming deductions or exemptions tax refund should be close to $0, I think amongst Irish people there is a belief that tax time means money for Jam and that the Tax fairy is going give you thousands of $$ for nothing. It's greatly misunderstood.

Tax return is the act of Paying tax, you don't per-say pay tax throughout the year it's simply "withheld" into like a kind of standard deposit then when you do your tax return they can calculate what you actually owe/overpaid. Big refunds don't materialise out of thin air you only get back what you overpay or else you pay the ATO a bill which can happen.

• Advertisement

danotroy wrote: »

I earned 41000 since feb payed 11000 tax at a rate of 32.5% based on a rate of workin a full year

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Very possible if OP had been ticked (taxed) as a non-resident for tax purposes throughout the year but later claim to be resident for tax purposes. First $18200 is tax free for RFTP which if Non-RFTP would pay about $5900 tax on that first $18K alone. or if they claimed $ 24K in deductions would give about $8k.

In theory if all the right boxes are ticked and you are not claiming deductions or exemptions tax refund should be close to $0, I think amongst Irish people there is a belief that tax time means money for Jam and that the Tax fairy is going give you thousands of $$ for nothing. It's greatly misunderstood.

Tax return is the act of Paying tax, you don't per-say pay tax throughout the year it's simply "withheld" into like a kind of standard deposit then when you do your tax return they can calculate what you actually owe/overpaid. Big refunds don't materialise out of thin air you only get back what you overpay or else you pay the ATO a bill which can happen.

I ticked resident for tax purposes, everything was done as it should, I had about 1500 worth of expenses which brought my total income down to 39???, which brought my over payment up and then lodged my Medicare exemption form.

All in all I think I owed the tax man something like 3000, which mean I'm waiting on what I over payed which comes to 7200 plus my Medicare exemption which I think is about 400.

Don't have the paper work in front of me as I'm in Thailand at the moment but will be back next week and can post factual figures

I ticked resident for tax purposes, everything was done as it should, I had about 1500 worth of expenses which brought my total income down to 39???, which brought my over payment up and then lodged my Medicare exemption form.

All in all I think I owed the tax man something like 3000, which mean I'm waiting on what I over payed which comes to 7200 plus my Medicare exemption which I think is about 400.

Don't have the paper work in front of me as I'm in Thailand at the moment but will be back next week and can post factual figures

If you were taxed at 32.5% then the employer ticked you as non-resident in their payroll software. It could be that due to the size of the refund the ATO are just looking into it .....those figures sound about right.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    If you were taxed at 32.5% then the employer ticked you as non-resident in their payroll software. It could be that due to the size of the refund the ATO are just looking into it .....those figures sound about right.

Yes they sent me a letter to say they were looking into it and I would recieve payment no later than the 6th of sept

Advertisement