Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland - Electricity to Shed

Options
  • 17-09-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Thinking of putting a freezer/dryer (two separate appliances obviously :)) into my shed in Charlesland Grove to free up space in the kitchen.

Has anyone used a local electrician to run power from the house to the shed?
    How much time/€ are we talking?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Thinking of putting a freezer/dryer (two separate appliances obviously :)) into my shed in Charlesland Grove to free up space in the kitchen.

Has anyone used a local electrician to run power from the house to the shed?

Cheers!

I drilled a 10mm hole in back wall, got a load of outdoor cable, put a plug one end and plugged it in a socket by back wall, through hole and into outdoor socket and looped through and Pinned the cable along the bottom of the fence and in to an outdoor electrical box behind shed. It is wired to a four way socket which has a feed into shed as well as decking lights and water feature. I also have an outdoor socket by back wall to run a hosepipe pump from waterbut. Cost about €35

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Jimjay wrote: »
    I drilled a 10mm hole in back wall, got a load of outdoor cable, put a plug one end and plugged it in a socket by back wall, through hole and into outdoor socket and looped through and Pinned the cable along the bottom of the fence and in to an outdoor electrical box behind shed. It is wired to a four way socket which has a feed into shed as well as decking lights and water feature. I also have an outdoor socket by back wall to run a hosepipe pump from waterbut. Cost about €35

Brilliant! :D - I actually thought of doing something similar. The lovely gents from SKY put a sizeable hole in my wall already, which I've considered using to feed a cable through. My solution was less sophisticated in that I had planned to just put an extension cable in the shed :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Just a few things to consider:

1) Cable size, for a short run with a small load a 3 x 2.5mm sq. cable would be the minimum size that should be considered. As a tumble dryer is quite a large load (relatively) I would use at least a 3 x 4mm sq. cable. I would also use the same cable to feed a light within the shed (via a spur outlet).

2) Cable type: An armoured cable such as an SWA would be best. Cables such as NYMJ are frequently used, but apart from offering limited mechanical protection they are not UV resistant.

3) Method of installation: I prefer to bury the cable and SWA can be direct buried in the earth.

4) To comply with ETCI Wiring regulations the shed (or outdoor socket) should not be fed from a kitchen socket circuit.

5) If this work is not carried out by a registered electrical contractor the certification for the installation will made invalid. Form October 1st failing to use a registered electrical contractor for this type of work will be an offence (yes really):
    http://www.cer.ie/en/electricity-safety-decision-documents.aspx?article=2935a210-11a9-4d9a-b07c-ddc29eb28d4c
    BTW I am not a registered electrical contractor nor do I do this type of work.

6) To be confident that the electrical work is carried out safely and in accordance with electrical regulations the work should be tested by a qualified electrician using calibrated test equipment. Electrical tests should include earth fault loop impedance, polarity and insulation resistance test.

If the above does not make much sense to you then it would be best not to work with mains voltage.
    In general it is easy to wire something and get it to "work", the trick is to get it to work safely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

How much for your life or someone else. :eek:

bido wrote: »

How much for your life or someone else. :eek:

Depends who they are :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

if someone need I have details of very friendly sparky and not too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

We got this done from an electrician that lives in Charlesland, from our kitchen (3 bed semi) out to the end of our garden and into our shed. Double socket and he also installed a light in the shed. The same day he did a job on re-hanging our television on the wall. He charged 60 euro for the whole lot. I thought it was very reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

amy1plus2 wrote: »
    We got this done from an electrician that lives in Charlesland, from our kitchen (3 bed semi) out to the end of our garden and into our shed. Double socket and he also installed a light in the shed. The same day he did a job on re-hanging our television on the wall. He charged 60 euro for the whole lot. I thought it was very reasonable

A real bargain if this was done professionally. A washing machine repair man will charge 80 euro to call out and this will not include any materials.

amy1plus2 wrote: »

I'd be interested in this guy's details if you still have them - that is a ridiculously cheap price for all that work, all of which (incl. the tv hanging) I'd like done.

Cheers!

Advertisement