Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name me a good provider

Options
  • 17-09-2013 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

In the process of moving home and I've learnt my lesson about going with a cheap Broadband provider (3 have given me nothing but trouble).

Assuming I have a good choice of providers, who do you recomend going with - Im not too concerned with price and I will be doing the following:

Downloading a couple of large files a week, possibly 5 GB's worth (wink wink nudge nudge) :rolleyes:

Watching a bit of football streaming at weekends

Other day to day usage such as checking email & YouTube.

As I said, I want quality - not too concerned with paying a good price, any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

UPC if you can get it.

If you can't VDSL providers such as Eircom or Vodafone would do up to 70Mb download speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gunnersaurus

Thanks Mr.G - I was thinking of going for UPC alright, have you heard anything about Wimax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

I got Sky in last week and I find it great. Downloaded a file off PSN it was about 1.7 gb took about 25mins I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gunnersaurus

Is Sky unlimited broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Is Sky unlimited broadband?

Yeah it sure is. Doesn't seem to have any slow down either. I've had it a week and could only say good things about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I got Sky in back in July, and got persistent drops in connection. In fairness to them after a couple of calls and emails, they admitted that they had made a mistake that they couldn't fix: The profile on my line was always set to 6144 download, and was steady as a rock with UTV and then with VF until July. When Sky took it over, they saw the line was capable of taking 10,000ish and set it to 9250. This made it unstable, with 3/4/5 dropouts a day. Certainly noticeably quicker when it worked, but not much good when it kept dropping. Got a call yesterday from Sky to say they can't change the profile back down, and would release me from the contract immediately. Put an order in with VF for the eFibre yesterday, so happy days (Hopefully)

Advertisement