Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating Butcher

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

Guest0000 wrote: »
    The ops point is that it is a special offer on a set amount of cuts, at a said weight, the cuts are not individually weighed, so you won't be paying the displayed amount, if they were, chances are they would be as cheap to buy in single items,
    Kinda reminds me of the guy selling bags of logs for 3.00 a bag or 6 for twenty......

I agreed with the op.

So everyone reckons that the onus is on the butcher to ensure that the burgers are a minimum weight. So this is going to lead to a longer production time which costs money, or making sure there is more meat in the burgers which costs money. Guess who's going to pay the extra cost either way?

For the sake of 8c or whatever I would rather take the risk that the odd burger I buy might be 10g under to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Uaru wrote: »
    14g is hardly a big difference. It's very time consuming making burgers and most butchers will weigh them out with 10g give or take either way. They would be there for a month trying to do a batch at exactly 114g! That's a new level of scabby making a show of yourself over 14g of mince.

The lad in England definitely sounds like he's taking the piss. Lots of people do go home and weigh everything themselves so I'm surprised he hasn't been caught out sooner.

Uara, not only do you have a poor grasp of weights & measures, you obviously don't run a business.

100g vs 114g is a 12.5% difference. 3.5oz vs 4oz. I had a bbq for 50 people and bought 60 burgers & buns for €60. When I weight the bags, in total , I was left short almost 2lbs( 5.50euro at lean mince price)

Any butcher shop that makes their own burgers and sausages use a filler. These have plates(2oz 4oz 6oz 100g 150g etc) that form the burger thereby allowing the user to knock out 800-1000 burgers to the hour.

In my local chipper they have an unusual 3oz burger that the local butcher makes...never more than 3g +\- from the 85g according to the owner.

I get striploins and tbones from the same butcher now and he is always within an onze on a 16oz tbone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That's probably the best way to do it as you are paying the exact weight for what you are getting.

It's the same with steaks, the butcher cuts a steak, lays it our for display, you choose which one you want, they weigh it and away you go.

There's no way in hell that each 8oz steak weighs 8oz, it would be impossible to cut that consistently off a piece of meat. Think about the logistics of it.

THere was a tv program on the BBC a while ago about how supermarkets source their foodstuffs including their prepacked meat and it showed a production line for steaks where all the butchers eployed could cut a steak from any piece of meat and get it within 5grams of the advertised weight just by sight! THis is their bread and butter and it is what all butchers should be able to do consistently or they should look at alternative employment.

TBoneMan wrote: »
    Uara, not only do you have a poor grasp of weights & measures, you obviously don't run a business.

100g vs 114g is a 12.5% difference. 3.5oz vs 4oz. I had a bbq for 50 people and bought 60 burgers & buns for €60. When I weight the bags, in total , I was left short almost 2lbs( 5.50euro at lean mince price)

Any butcher shop that makes their own burgers and sausages use a filler. These have plates(2oz 4oz 6oz 100g 150g etc) that form the burger thereby allowing the user to knock out 800-1000 burgers to the hour.

In my local chipper they have an unusual 3oz burger that the local butcher makes...never more than 3g +\- from the 85g according to the owner.

I get striploins and tbones from the same butcher now and he is always within an onze on a 16oz tbone.

Butchers have a burger press in a few sizes but each piece of mince has to be weighed separately or guessed by the butcher, usually the apprentice for that job. They certainly aren't churning out a thousand burgers per hour and they will also never be exactly 114g. Your 5.50 is also in no way a fair representation of how much you were left short. The cost of your burgers at a cheap price on mince would be 80 quid without the buns if you want to spin it that way. I'd say you we're left about €2 short and still got a great deal from your butcher.

I said you were left about 8c short per burger so I wasn't too far off without knowing how much your butcher was charging. Obviously with 60 burgers it adds up. Out of interest did you preorder 60 burgers in advance at a set fee?

I'm not a butcher but I know some and have had this discussion with them before.

What was his explanation?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    THere was a tv program on the BBC a while ago about how supermarkets source their foodstuffs including their prepacked meat and it showed a production line for steaks where all the butchers eployed could cut a steak from any piece of meat and get it within 5grams of the advertised weight just by sight! THis is their bread and butter and it is what all butchers should be able to do consistently or they should look at alternative employment.

10g either way, as I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    10g either way, as I said.

:confused:

Butchers have a burger press in a few sizes but each piece of mince has to be weighed separately or guessed by the butcher, usually the apprentice for that job. They certainly aren't churning out a thousand burgers per hour and they will also never be exactly 114g. Your 5.50 is also in no way a fair representation of how much you were left short. The cost of your burgers at a cheap price on mince would be 80 quid without the buns if you want to spin it that way. I'd say you we're left about €2 short and still got a great deal from your butcher.

I said you were left about 8c short per burger so I wasn't too far off without knowing how much your butcher was charging. Obviously with 60 burgers it adds up. Out of interest did you preorder 60 burgers in advance at a set fee?

I'm not a butcher but I know some and have had this discussion with them before.

What was his explanation?

Ordered 1 week ahead.
    His explanation was to stand there and say nothing...he knew full well he had been caught.

A filler is a hydraulic piston that forces meat through a chamber to form sausages and burgers. The filler plate determines the size of the burger and therfore there is no weighting of meat. And so the weight will always be uniform.

I had a family gathering in july this year and my current butchers burgers are made this way. 114g every time :-) he sells 6 100% beef burgers for € 5 ...gluten free too

Your costing of lean mince beef at €1 per lb tells me you don't have a clue what your talking about. 80quid for 60burgers :-) I must start selling door to door in your area ... easy money

TBoneMan wrote: »
    Ordered 1 week ahead.
    His explanation was to stand there and say nothing...he knew full well he had been caught.

A filler is a hydraulic piston that forces meat through a chamber to form sausages and burgers. The filler plate determines the size of the burger and therfore there is no weighting of meat. And so the weight will always be uniform.

I had a family gathering in july this year and my current butchers burgers are made this way. 114g every time :-) he sells 6 100% beef burgers for € 5 ...gluten free too

Your costing of lean mince beef at €1 per lb tells me you don't have a clue what your talking about. 80quid for 60burgers :-) I must start selling door to door in your area ... easy money

That's a ridiculously cheap price for 6 burgers though. The vast majority around me a selling them for €1.20 ~ €1.50 a pop.

You're butcher may be using that device but I know two lads in two different butchers that have nothing of the sort.

That's a ridiculously cheap price for 6 burgers though. The vast majority around me a selling them for €1.20 ~ €1.50 a pop.

You're butcher may be using that device but I know two lads in two different butchers that have nothing of the sort.

1&1/2 lb of lean mince beef is €4.10 so that allows more than 20% margin to make the burgers.
    My butcher may be a step above in terms of production, because they have their own farm and abattoir. It means they would have a lot of lean mince to clear each week to get a good base of primal cuts.

Advertisement