Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery died on less than a yr old DKNY watch bought with etihad miles

Options
  • 17-09-2013 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Last year Nov, I ordered a DKNY watch through the etihad guest rewards pgm and it's been acting up lately with going slow until last week when it died out. When I got the watch, it did have the original DKNY tag and a leaflet which outlines DKNY warranty. But I dont have a receipt other than the etihad rewards pgm mail abt the order.

There seems to be no DKNY outlet in Ireland mentioned in the warranty book. I've had trouble before with trying to get a replacement from etihad and it usually ends up having to bear the cost of returning the item and I could end up getting another shoddy piece.

Is there a way that I can contact DKNY through a shop somewhere here in Dublin. Any info will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Erna123 wrote: »
    Last year Nov, I ordered a DKNY watch through the etihad guest rewards pgm and it's been acting up lately with going slow until last week when it died out. When I got the watch, it did have the original DKNY tag and a leaflet which outlines DKNY warranty. But I dont have a receipt other than the etihad rewards pgm mail abt the order.

There seems to be no DKNY outlet in Ireland mentioned in the warranty book. I've had trouble before with trying to get a replacement from etihad and it usually ends up having to bear the cost of returning the item and I could end up getting another shoddy piece.

Is there a way that I can contact DKNY through a shop somewhere here in Dublin. Any info will be much appreciated.

Get the battery replaced in a shop here. €10, done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

€4 replaces a battery here. Warranty wouldn't cover a simple battery. I cab get 1 year from most watch batteries, 2 for some and less than a year for others. It's not earth shattering.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

your local jeweller will replace the battery in seconds.

not sure why you would want to send it back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

The battery would not be covered in any warranty. Depending on when the watch was manufactured the battery could be in the watch for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

quick question. Why would you look for a replacement watch for a dead battery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tippex wrote: »
    The battery would not be covered in any warranty. Depending on when the watch was manufactured the battery could be in the watch for years.

Bizarrely, I bought a watch recently and the battery is covered under warranty for two years. I actually thought that was very weird as a battery is usually considered a consumable item and I wouldn't expect it to be under warranty

OP, I genuinely think that the best thing to do here is just get the battery replaced at any jewellers.

dudara wrote: »
    Bizarrely, I bought a watch recently and the battery is covered under warranty for two years. I actually thought that was very weird as a battery is usually considered a consumable item and I wouldn't expect it to be under warranty

OP, I genuinely think that the best thing to do here is just get the battery replaced at any jewellers.

That is a bit weird as when I worked in a jewellers (it was quite a few years ago at this stage) the battery was not covered but depending on the client and the watch we would change the battery free (if they had purchased it from us within the last year)

But then again it would be down to the manufacturer as well (wouldn't expect it with a €15 timex but might be different with a €2k Raymond Weil)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

My mind is boggling at this query.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Erna123

My mistake, I should've added that I can indeed get the batteries changed. But I was quite baffled that the battery died so soon on a €200 watch, whereas i've had fancy watches for less than €50 which has gone for years without a bother and hence the query for getting in touch with DKNY.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The cost of the watch is absolutely no reflection of the battery used or the life you can expect from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

My mistake, I should've added that I can indeed get the batteries changed. But I was quite baffled that the battery died so soon on a €200 watch, whereas i've had fancy watches for less than €50 which has gone for years without a bother and hence the query for getting in touch with DKNY.

The battery could have been in that watch for 6/9/12 months before you got it so nothing to worry about. Just go to a jewelers and get it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You might get an online guide on how to do it yourself. I got 32 batteries for €2 in the 2 euro shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There are higher expectations with high end products. However, many of these branded watches are genuinely not as high-end in quality as the brand name would imply. And irrespective of the brand, the battery is consumable and a cheap component in the overall cost.

That watch could have been out from the factory for 1-2 years. All the time the battery is driving the watch. Some watches come with a little plastic seal between the battery and the contacts, which is only removed at the time of sale. This means that the battery doesn't start powering the watch until the plastic sheet is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

rubadub wrote: »
    You might get an online guide on how to do it yourself. I got 32 batteries for €2 in the 2 euro shop.

I did this recently with a dkny watch. The have a little flap on the back of the watch that makes it east to pop off (I used a metal nail file). I had the old battery out, new battery in and the back on in less than a minute. Much cheaper that paying €14 in my local jewellers to get replaced and way faster than contacting the makers.

a little bit of an eyeopener on the watch industry as well.
    Some of the most commonly used movements in the watch industry are Miyota.
    Have a look here to see how cheap the movements are http://www.allwatchparts.com/Miyota-Movements_c_101.html so if you don't mind opening your watch and you see its a miyota movement you can get an idea of how much the movement would cost (the prices listed would be significantly higher than the branded watches makers would be charged)

Just shows how much you are paying for a name.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tippex wrote: »
    a little bit of an eyeopener on the watch industry as well.
    Some of the most commonly used movements in the watch industry are Miyota.
    Have a look here to see how cheap the movements are http://www.allwatchparts.com/Miyota-Movements_c_101.html so if you don't mind opening your watch and you see its a miyota movement you can get an idea of how much the movement would cost (the prices listed would be significantly higher than the branded watches makers would be charged)

Just shows how much you are paying for a name.....

And the battery ran out so.......?

The components for many products don't match their retails costs. I think we all know you pay for a name.

Advertisement