Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proofreading for postgrad student - advice please?

Options
  • 17-09-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi all, hope it is ok to post this here (feel free to move/delete it if it's not appropriate)

I have a lot of experience in proofreading essays and dissertations for postgrad students in Dublin. I try and charge a very good rate and so far the people I've helped via proofreading have been very happy with my work and rates and things have worked out well. However in Jan, I was approached by someone whose first language is not English to proofread their dissertation. I agreed but in actual fact it transpired that I had to do a lot more than just proofread, because several chunks of text had to be rewritten so that the supervisor would be able to understand it.

I was told that I would be paid 'extra' for this, a final price was agreed and after submitting the document I was paid less than half the price as 'a goodwill gesture'. Some months went by including the deadline for the dissertation to be handed in. I contacted the person, was told that the dissertation required yet more work (which I hadn't agreed to do) and that if I wanted the money I had to do this. I am not in the best position financially, and I thought it might not take me long to do the extra work so I agreed and submitted it. There was no contact for a few more months. So today I contacted the person and said that if I didn't get all the money (because clearly the work was fine - if it wasn't, why didn't they contact me?) I would go to their supervisor and explain the situation. I haven't done this but this is really bothering me. I went above and beyond what was required as a proofreader and I deserve the money that was promised to me.

Has anyone ever been in a situation like this, and if so could you advise me what my best course of action is? I feel like I was totally taken advantage of, but I've done so much proofreading in the past and had no problems that I assumed this person would be genuine like all of the others.

Advertisement