Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Oasis reformed...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

For me Starkey was plod plod plod but then again White was also a bit plod plod plod...

No, the true drummer of Oasis was... TONY! :)

Tony took a long while to master 'Bring it on Down' and 'Supersonic' in the Def Maybe sessions. He wasn't good enough to play with them when they hit the big time.

They gave him 600,000 pounds in the court case (half went on lawyers). He gave up the rights to his work on the album, many music journalists at the time said he gave up a Lottery Ticket that would keep on winning year after year.

Nearly 20 years later it's proven to be one of the worst decisions ever made in the music industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Starkey had a falling out with Noel during the DOYS recordings. Something to do with him touring with The Who at the same time of the proposed Oasis tour.

I agree he suited the later Oasis style, Don't Believe The Truth in 05 was the first time that I actually noticed real drumming on an Oasis album. Alan White complained with Heathen Chemistry that Noel lowered his sound on the finished version, he packs quite a sound live.
    Noel wanted Starkey to become a member of Oasis and Starkey wanted to carry on with both Oasis and The Who. I can hardly blame him not wanting to give up The Who though
    Tony took a long while to master 'Bring it on Down' and 'Supersonic' in the Def Maybe sessions. He wasn't good enough to play with them when they hit the big time.

They gave him 600,000 pounds in the court case (half went on lawyers). He gave up the rights to his work on the album, many music journalists at the time said he gave up a Lottery Ticket that would keep on winning year after year.

Nearly 20 years later it's proven to be one of the worst decisions ever made in the music industry.
    I was only reading recently that Gary Glitter has made £1m in royalties from Oasis sampling "Hello" and him being a co-writer then. McCarroll played on the full Definitely Maybe album, b-sides and then Some Might Say off WTSMG so I'd be interested to hear what exactly he would've/could've earned. Look at Guigsy who has done nothing since the BHN tour finished in 1999 and he's still I presume living comfortably somewhere off that whereas McCarroll had to release a book to get a few quid back in the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Hannibal wrote: »
    Noel wanted Starkey to become a member of Oasis and Starkey wanted to carry on with both Oasis and The Who. I can hardly blame him not wanting to give up The Who though

I was only reading recently that Gary Glitter has made £1m in royalties from Oasis sampling "Hello" and him being a co-writer then. McCarroll played on the full Definitely Maybe album, b-sides and then Some Might Say off WTSMG so I'd be interested to hear what exactly he would've/could've earned. Look at Guigsy who has done nothing since the BHN tour finished in 1999 and he's still I presume living comfortably somewhere off that whereas McCarroll had to release a book to get a few quid back in the bank

He probably made his big money from the tours and the likes of the Knebworth shows, which McCarroll never got to do. I admit of course that he was a very rudimentary drummer, as Noel said, "he couldn't drum in a straight line", but some of his beats like the intro to "Live Forever" or the straight forward simplicity of "Supersonic" are essential to what made those songs. Just listen to the likes of White playing those same songs, with the added snare rolls and fills; its just not the same really!

All I'm saying is that if they were to do a DM tour, it'd be great to see McCarroll on it. Obv if they do a WTSMG tour it'd have to be White.

For me I never got into Starkey as their drummer; the single beat type drums of songs like Lyla were overdone I think, and while I liked his drumming on Dig Out Your Soul, overall he was probably not as good as he could've been. Listen to the live songs from Glastonbury 2004 and they are particularly plodding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

He probably made his big money from the tours and the likes of the Knebworth shows, which McCarroll never got to do. I admit of course that he was a very rudimentary drummer, as Noel said, "he couldn't drum in a straight line", but some of his beats like the intro to "Live Forever" or the straight forward simplicity of "Supersonic" are essential to what made those songs. Just listen to the likes of White playing those same songs, with the added snare rolls and fills; its just not the same really!

All I'm saying is that if they were to do a DM tour, it'd be great to see McCarroll on it. Obv if they do a WTSMG tour it'd have to be White.

For me I never got into Starkey as their drummer; the single beat type drums of songs like Lyla were overdone I think, and while I liked his drumming on Dig Out Your Soul, overall he was probably not as good as he could've been. Listen to the live songs from Glastonbury 2004 and they are particularly plodding.
    Ah the whole of Glastonbury 2004 for Oasis was rubbish, it was one of only two gigs they played that year and the other was a warm-up two nights before it. Starkey had only joined Oasis a month or so before and it was obvious he wasn't brushed up on some of the tracks so I'd excuse him from that performance. Oasis finished off the HC tour early in 2003 so they were between albums, plugging nothing and a new drummer in his second gig.

White fell out with Liam, McCarroll fell out with Noel, Noel re-recorded most of Guigsys work on the first 3 albums and Bonehead was a very average guitar player so it's pretty obvious a reformed Oasis will consist of Noel, Liam, Gem and probably Bell (don't think Noel has much time for him as a person) + a drummer who'll more than likely be Sharrock. On drummers Jeremy Stacey done a good job on Noel's solo tour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

At this stage I'd rather see Ride reform, play some old "Nowhere" material and make a new album just like it! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

Algeria wrote: »
    Classic lineup

Noel
    Liam
    Bonehead
    Guigsy
    Alan

Have to agree... these guys were great, can't seem them reforming anytime soon though :(

Advertisement