Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance from exchange

• 17-09-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

How far from an urban exchange can you expect DSL to work and at what type of speeds could you expect ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg

And for VDSL...

dsl-speed-comparisons.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Thanks for that.
    So there's no hope in getting it at about 6 1/2 Km from the exchange then?

Not economically viable at 6 1/2k, that's for sure. :(
    Do you already have a landline? How did you calculate the distance yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    So there's no hope in getting it at about 6 1/2 Km from the exchange then?

I'm about 7km from the exchange and I get between 1.5 to 2 megs. That ADSL rather than VDSL though I hope I'll get VDSL once the cab is commissioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

phog wrote: »
    I'm about 7km from the exchange and I get between 1.5 to 2 megs. That ADSL rather than VDSL though I hope I'll get VDSL once the cab is commissioned.

Only if the cabinet is less than 2km from you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

bealtine wrote: »
    Only if the cabinet is less than 2km from you...

I'm just under 1km from the cab :-)

roast wrote: »
    Not economically viable at 6 1/2k, that's for sure. :(
    Do you already have a landline? How did you calculate the distance yourself?

Eircom told the sister in law thats how far she is from the exchange. She has/had broadband for 6 months and eircom changed some box an a pole and now it does not work and they are saying that they cannot supply it anymore because she is too far from the exchange. She is on a split line but it worked fine until they changed the box on the pole,another thing is that if she brings her modem into her neighbour who does not have broadband it gets a signal and try's to synch up.

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Eircom told the sister in law thats how far she is from the exchange. She has/had broadband for 6 months and eircom changed some box an a pole and now it does not work and they are saying that they cannot supply it anymore because she is too far from the exchange. She is on a split line but it worked fine until they changed the box on the pole,another thing is that if she brings her modem into her neighbour who does not have broadband it gets a signal and try's to synch up.

What profile/speed were you set at, do you know?

roast wrote: »
    What profile/speed were you set at, do you know?

As far as I know she was set at 1 mbp or whatever its called.

Advertisement