Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books :)

• 17-09-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi there!
    Just wondering where the best(cheapest ;) ) place to buy first year Arts books from is? Im having a mini heart attack with the amount Ill have to splash out on these books haha!
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I'm not certain about Arts but I have got a load of books from Adverts.ie, Amazon, Done Deal and Book Depository. Try and get them second hand and you'll save a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 That180Guy

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭chaoskitten_DF

The Book Depository, Vibes and Scribes on the quays in Cork have good deals and try looking at the ads in the Student Centre too because often I've seen older students selling off their old books :) Also look at the secondhand books in the college bookshop, I've gotten a decent bargain or two there :)

Are you really sure you need to buy all the books? I think you can really use the library for most (unless it's a definite core textbook like a novel, etc) if you're organized about photocopying? :/ You'd be kicking yourself if you bought a book and didn't really use it that much and there's dozens of copies in the library :/ Especially if it's a subject you don't plan to keep on.

What ones are you looking for? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Always found www.alibris.co.uk to be good for acquiring second hand academic books.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Some courses you don't need to buy the books for - lot of times you can borrow the books from the library plus there is loads of online journals that you can use to reference your assignments from

• Advertisement

Some courses you don't need to buy the books for - lot of times you can borrow the books from the library plus there is loads of online journals that you can use to reference your assignments from

^Exactly. You have access to the JSTOR database through UCC too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Indeed,should learn to use Journals correctly in first year. It's one of the best resources that you'll have access to and they cover a massive range of stuff. There's even a journal for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Robynne

Thanks everyone for your responses! I bought two books from amazon for a tenner including delivery!! If I was to buy them in the shop it would have cost me €40! Plus a second year is selling me the €50 geography book for €15 :P I did buy five english books from the bookshop which cost €50 but that was very good I thought! So, so far so good!

Robynne wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I bought two books from amazon for a tenner including delivery!! If I was to buy them in the shop it would have cost me €40! Plus a second year is selling me the €50 geography book for €15 :P I did buy five english books from the bookshop which cost €50 but that was very good I thought! So, so far so good!

Great stuff! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Kennys Books in Galway are good too, do free postage and all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement