Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V and Gamestop

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

had a bad experience with them as well, just decided to cancel the order. crap customer service too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Boognish wrote: »
    had a bad experience with them as well, just decided to cancel the order. crap customer service too

Best decision ever. I got a copy from Argos. Staff were so friendly and polite. So glad GS won't be getting a cent of my money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I bought GTA from them as I wanted the special edition one and nowhere else aside from game.co.uk were getting it, but usually it's the last place I buy games. The guys and gals in the store are all fairly sound though so it's good to have a bit of banter with them, even if the company they work for are assholes :pac:
    when HMV were doing their 42 quid launch day deals it was great, since hmv folded gamestop have increased their prices, I never buy 2nd hand as I dont see the point, you could get something brand new for a few quid more and if its been out a few months for a fraction of the cost online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

TheDoc wrote: »
    Gamestop didn't sell the most copies and debatable if they made the most money. They purposefully obtain low amounts of stock to maintain their inflated prices and have a pre-order system in place to generate funds.

Just out of curiosity, but where are you getting these facts from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

422nd wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, but where are you getting these facts from?

First hand experience working in the industry in the backend logistics.

I maintain they purposefully order in low stock to maintain their higher prices, generate buzz for midnight launches and generate revenue from pre-ordering. Alot of people pre-order there, and don't actually collect the game, or the money they actually put down on them.

Of course its a good while since I worked in the supply chain for gaming, maybe I'm off the ball here. Possible Gamestop are not a successful retailer, and simply can't order large quantities and need to maintain high pricies to cover costs. But somehow I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't see the big deal. If gamestop are a bit expensive, buy from somewhere else. I'm surprised people have the attitude "the game I want now if a fiver more expensive in GS, I'm never going there again". That makes zero sense to me.
    Buy where ever is the combination of cheapest/most convienient for you, simple as, doesn't matter what they might have charged in the past.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Cienciano wrote: »
    I don't see the big deal. If gamestop are a bit expensive, buy from somewhere else. I'm surprised people have the attitude "the game I want now if a fiver more expensive in GS, I'm never going there again". That makes zero sense to me.
    Buy where ever is the combination of cheapest/most convienient for you, simple as, doesn't matter what they might have charged in the past.

I have no problem with the price the problem I have with GS is they accepted my order online a week ago, took my money and this week they've cancelled the order as they were out of stock (why wasn't I informed this at the time of ordering, Amazon will notify you when an item is out of stock), still no refund and instead of having the game delivered to me I had to check all around town for places that still had stock available!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

TheDoc wrote: »
    First hand experience working in the industry in the backend logistics.

I maintain they purposefully order in low stock to maintain their higher prices, generate buzz for midnight launches and generate revenue from pre-ordering. Alot of people pre-order there, and don't actually collect the game, or the money they actually put down on them.

Of course its a good while since I worked in the supply chain for gaming, maybe I'm off the ball here. Possible Gamestop are not a successful retailer, and simply can't order large quantities and need to maintain high pricies to cover costs. But somehow I doubt it.

And how does ordering in less stock mean they'll charge more and create more hype? Surely if gamestop customers are as ill informed about the gaming industry as you imply, then they wouldn't have a clue how much stock gamestop order in and it won't have any effect on how hyped they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

422nd wrote: »
    And how does ordering in less stock mean they'll charge more and create more hype? Surely if gamestop customers are as ill informed about the gaming industry as you imply, then they wouldn't have a clue how much stock gamestop order in and it won't have any effect on how hyped they are.
    Yeah, that post makes no sense unless Gamestop were the only place you could buy games from.

So about a week after I logged a complaint by e-mail they e-mail me back today to inform me they have limited stock of GTA in their swords store.... I don't live or work near swords and I have the game since thursday after getting a copy in Argos.

Their customer service has been poor throughout the whole GTA release.

• Advertisement
Advertisement