Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Netgear ADSL2+ with VF Fibre

• 17-09-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,
    I am currently with VF home broadband. I use a Netgear DGND3300v2 ADSL2+ router because it handles port forwarding much better than the crappy VF one that came with the package. I bought it mainly because it works very well with my Synology NAS and Logitech Squeezebox.
    The trouble now is that I am planning on upgrading to VF Fibre. This comes with a new router but I really want to stick with my Netgear one. I have done some reading and theres talk of connecting the two together using a WAN port.
    My Netgear router doesn't have a wan port so am I out of luck or will the VF router have one?
    I struggled through setting up my Netgear router to allow me to access my NAS from outside my home and have it working well with my Squeezebox and PS3 so I really don't want to dump it.
    Can anybody that has experience of this help me?
    thanks in advance.
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

agentblue wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am currently with VF home broadband. I use a Netgear DGND3300v2 ADSL2+ router because it handles port forwarding much better than the crappy VF one that came with the package. I bought it mainly because it works very well with my Synology NAS and Logitech Squeezebox.
    The trouble now is that I am planning on upgrading to VF Fibre. This comes with a new router but I really want to stick with my Netgear one. I have done some reading and theres talk of connecting the two together using a WAN port.
    My Netgear router doesn't have a wan port so am I out of luck or will the VF router have one?
    I struggled through setting up my Netgear router to allow me to access my NAS from outside my home and have it working well with my Squeezebox and PS3 so I really don't want to dump it.
    Can anybody that has experience of this help me?
    thanks in advance.
    J

The Vodafone HG658c has a WAN port but not entirely sure if it will work the way you want it to. The HG658c (VDSL) is far far better than the HG556a (ADSL) router

• Registered Users Posts: 45 agentblue

crawler wrote: »
    The Vodafone HG658c has a WAN port but not entirely sure if it will work the way you want it to. The HG658c (VDSL) is far far better than the HG556a (ADSL) router
    Thanks very much for that. Fingers crossed that it will handle the connections to my NAS as I'm using that as a media hub and a ip camera security centre (it's a synology NAS). If not I predict much cursing and posting to this board.

Advertisement