Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I've just joined the crash club! Repair cost?

• 17-09-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

My confidence has been growing and growing. So much so that I was looking forward to maybe joining some of you guys for a Sunday Spin soon. I'm not that experienced in the wet but I'm trying build my confidence.

Took everything nice and easy but eventually a car turning right from the opposite direction pulled in front of me and I suppose my inexperience showed in swerving and going a bit too hard on the front brake. So down I went but I did avoid the car. Even in the wet, my self and the bike only slid door a few feet but all the same I feel I could have been more careful. A steep lesson but luckily not too steep.

A couple of nice gentlemen moved my bike off the road and asked was I alright, even offered me a lift. Some employees from the bank I was outside even asked did I want to come in, sit down and have a cup of tea. The woman in the car came back and apologised and seemed genuinely concerned about me. I just told everyone I was fine and thanked them. Anyways, home now, knee a bit swollen but not too bad I think.

So all that said, I'm just looking for some opinions on what's next. The gear lever is mangled, indicator broken off and the fairing is scratched but not broken otherwise.

Bikeworld have a recovery service and I suppose they could repair the damage and that would be the handiest thing. Third party insurance so it's all on me...would anyone have any idea how much this might put me back? It's a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r.

I've to go back to work now so I'll call them in the morning but if possible I'd like to have an idea of what sort of cost I'm looking at so I'm not on the spot when I call and want to consider other options. Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's the bike:
    IMG_3202.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

She doesn't need to have hit you for it to be her fault.
    Did you get her details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

She doesn't need to have hit you for it to be her fault.
    Did you get her details?

No, wasn't really thinking straight in the few minutes afterwards. About five minutes after refusing a lift from the guys who stopped, I ended up having to get a taxi. I thought I might be able to ride it until I noticed the mangled gear lever.

And although it could be partly her fault, I still feel somewhat, if not mostly responsible. I know the road well and know that this can happen there and considering the conditions, I think I should have slowed down even more in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Your ok, that's all that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Check ebay for parts, you might get lucky.
    Most people have a spill.
    You walked away so that's good and bike doesn't look too bad.
    Bit of a bummer but you survived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Guy pulled out of garage two weeks ago on me. Same thing but it was dry and I managed to keep the bike up. But I really feel like it was my fault for not noticing him pulling out.

But I reckon it was his fault for noticing me driving on the road. Maybe you should call into the local Garda station and see if they can give you any advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

As others have said I would not think it was your fault unless there is a bit more to it. In any case you are ok and maybe a bit of a bruzed ego and confidence but that will all cone back.

Keep an eye out for parts on eBay or donedeal, adverts. Regarding fairing, that might be a bit harder as that is plastic and colour coded.

Who knows someone here might just know someone who knows how to and where to get that sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

fairings prolly the most expensive to replace.

but if your handy with a sander you could take to it yourself and give it a lick of paint.

shifter - check breaker yards. Not sure if other bike models would fit, think i have a busa one at home that didn't fit my old SV (rookie mistake in buying)

indy - cheap enough to get a new set, but of time to wire back up and stick in place.

Least ya walked away :)

in fairness, the damage aside from the fairing is an hours work if even with the parts available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

Glad to hear you were able to get up and walk away from the spill. If that's you're most serious accident while you're biking it's not too bad. A quick google search turned up this : http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=200338

Could be worth a ring. Indicators are easily replaced. Is the fairing just scratched? If it was me I'd have a go at sanding it and spraying it before ordering a new one. Overall it will be a handy enough repair, I couldn't estimate what a shop us going to charge you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

You'll get a new lever handy enough, say €30, indicator not sure about oem ones but you can get mini-indicators for €15 each so replace the other side while you're at it. The fairing you could bring to a paint shop and have them put some filler on it and match the colour, I'd say about €75 for a decent job. Did your lid hit the deck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi topper sorry to hear you had a spill but you wouldn't be a real biker unless you had at some point.

It happened me a few times with diesel in the wet nothing worse, was also ran off the motorway luckily kept it upright(reported that driver).

Do you mind if I ask do you wear bright clothing and or helmet and also do you have your dipped lights on all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

if it was me i wouldnt worry about the cosmetics till you come to sell or trade it in, it makes the bike less attractive to scummers, after all can you imagine the slagging if you nicked a bike that was already crashed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

serious3 wrote: »
    if it was me i wouldnt worry about the cosmetics till you come to sell or trade it in, it makes the bike less attractive to scummers, after all can you imagine the slagging if you nicked a bike that was already crashed

Good point, never thought of it that way!

I had another look at the bike on my way back home from work. Few points to add: firstly, the clutch lever seems to be damaged too. I was surprised on my initial (shell shocked) inspection to find it intact but now it appears that although it's not bent it seems a bit loose.

Secondly, the scratches on the fairings seem very shallow. Running my finger along them, I couldn't feel the scratches at all but I don't fancy tackling them myself.

And thirdly, I tried to start the bike earlier to no avail. It occurred to me afterwards that one of the lads who picked it up might have hit the kill switch which I never checked. Checked it this time, not the problem. I think (hope) that the problem is caused by not being able to put it in neutral or engage the clutch.

Cheers for the tips and opinions on parts. It gives me an idea of what I'm talking about when I call the shop in the morning and at least I know of other options I have if I think they're too expensive.

@Simona - No, my lid didn't hit the deck but a new one was on my wish list anyway. Now I'm thinking a bright yellow one.

@Miller - I had dipped lights on (DRLs on Ninja) but my jacket and trousers are black, my helmet is blue/black and as you can see, my bike is black. I was conscious of this and planned on getting a high-vis vest and possibly some high-vis stickers for my helmet. I had a vest in the past but it was hugh and the velcro never stuck so it just annoyed me. :rolleyes: Lesson learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP where are you?.. If you're around Dublin I can check it over, get it started etc.. You might be able to straighten the gear selector too.. Wiring the indicators can be a pain in te ass.. Tbh, coming into a much winter I wouldn't bother about the fairing or anything cosmetic.. Either way you should be able to get back on te road for minimal cost.

OP where are you?.. If you're around Dublin I can check it over, get it started etc.. You might be able to straighten the gear selector too.. Wiring the indicators can be a pain in te ass.. Tbh, coming into a much winter I wouldn't bother about the fairing or anything cosmetic.. Either way you should be able to get back on te road for minimal cost.

I am in Dublin. Bike's parked up in Drumcondra at the minute. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Fair play to you Mak, the essence of true biker camraderie helping another 'man-down' out :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I think i have a set of brake/clutch levers off my old 08 one lying around somewhere if you need them

i will have a root around later on for them if you want?

Just to update everyone further, I mentioned my situation to my mother (told her it broke down, she'd freak if she knew I crashed) and it turns out she still has me as an AA Rescue member. I thought they wouldn't be willing to help as it wasn't technically a breakdown but they were.

So, clutch lever is fixed and doesn't need replacing, gear lever's straightened out and working but probably still needs to be replaced, indicators back on and working.

Also, the handlebar is very slightly bent but working fine so not necessary to replace unless I find it uncomfortable.

And also the fairing still needs work but it's purely cosmetic so that's fine for the time being at least.

Other than that, my knee and hip are a bit sore but nothing too bad.

@ Makikomi - thanks so much for the offer, my mind was much more at ease last night knowing you were on hand and willing to help. You're off the hook now but you've earned yourself a couple of pints from me someday. Thanks again.

@ Darren - thanks for the offer but looks like I'm sorted now as long as I can live with the scuffs on the side of the lever (should be a good reminder to be careful every time I get on the bike.)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

Take it nice and handy now , we all get a scare from time to time , from now on its darker and wetter , road surfaces slippier also so be extra vigilant and get something Bright to be seen ! Ride Safe and good luck ! remember .. its a few of us V thousands n thousands of cagers .. ignore cager indicators flashing , all that tells us for certain is the bulb is working . Many cagers are daydreaming , bad eyesight , stupid etc . we can see them but they MAY NOT see us

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

I break indicators and levers all the time.
    A monkey could fit them.
    Levers usually cost between 5 and 25 (cb500 v cbf500).
    Indicators about the same.
    I buy fairing online for cheap from asia, Hyosung though, so no idea what Kawak stuff costs. Shouldn't imagine you'll be too out of pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

robinwing wrote: »
    Take it nice and handy now , we all get a scare from time to time , from now on its darker and wetter , road surfaces slippier also so be extra vigilant and get something Bright to be seen ! Ride Safe and good luck ! remember .. its a few of us V thousands n thousands of cagers .. ignore cager indicators flashing , all that tells us for certain is the bulb is working . Many cagers are daydreaming , bad eyesight , stupid etc . we can see them but they DO NOT, MAY NOT AND CANNOT see us

FTFY!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

Good amendment to my reply Serious 3 , top man !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Glad to hear you're sorted, the physical pain heals a lot quicker than the pain of looking at your damaged motorbike.

Be safe man.

Advertisement