Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help for choosing a monitored alarm system

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks for the clarification. I would have been presuming a URN would be in place if Garda response was wanted or expected.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

jmb1 wrote: »
    Hi Koolkid,
    Why is it so ?
    1) The need to verify an alarm only makes sense if you are under monitoring, in which case you need 2 signals. Otherwise, why should there be a need to verify an alarm ?
    Always good to have second line of defence anyway. I would always try to fit at least 1 PiR
    Is there a risk of false alarms if you don't use a shock detector ?
    Not sure what your asking here, sorry.
    Without shock sensors, the risk of false alarms is reduced. There is also a risk of more damage prior to an activation.
    2) PIRs can be seen by the burglar when he looks in the house by the window. Contacts on the window can't.
    That would depend on the layout of the house really. Correctly installed PiRs should not be facing a window so they may not be that visible either. However one window may be adjacent to ,or facing another window/door.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jmb1

KoolKid wrote: »
    Correctly installed PiRs should not be facing a window so they may not be that visible either.

Why should they not be facing the window ?
    Can they "see" through the window ?
    Also, I would have though that the main quality of an alarm system would be to be visible, so that it can act as a deterrent.
    Am I missing something ?

Normal PiRs are more prone to false alarms if looking at a window .
    Strong bursts of sunlight etc...
    If you wan't them in that position Duel Tecs are recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Thanks for the clarification. I would have been presuming a URN would be in place if Garda response was wanted or expected.

You'd be surprised at the amount of companies out there telling customers if you set that alarm off there'll be garda on your doorstep in 2 minutes.
    We had one woman complain that the gardaí took to long to get to her house (10 minutes) yet she was 15 minutes away from her nearest station.
    Not to mention the amount of people who thought that the monitoring centre were the gardaí:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yep.
    Too many sending out reps that don't know about alarms or how the monitoring works.
    Don't get me started on the lies I've heard on the door step.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 drunkenbarney

But I'm not the one that is making totally unsubstantiated claims. So what's you verdict now on the UPC phone claims you made.?
    You are pretending you know about alarms and security. Clearly you have little or no experience or knowledge of the industry. You are coming up with ridiculous scenarios that anyone in the industry knows never happens. Re the GSM jammers. I have experience of these being used,
    I have no experience of some of the crazy examples you are coming out with. Burglars are not electronic engineers. But they do know how to use technology as basic and cheap as a phone jammer.

If you two guys ever meet up can you let me know? Ill bring the beer, sit back and watch(hair pulling not allowed girls)

Just had a thought, if I was a burglar(which Im not, or am I.....), just reading some of the posts would give me a great insight into garda responses and alarm configurations etc

To be honest I just hate people arguing on boards just for the sake of it .
    There's a couple of people in this forum who do it & its very easy to see.
    I think the UPC phone bit proves it in this thread. Each time I said its possible he still comes back arguing. If that's the way you like posting then After Hours might be the forum to use,
    He has a history of it. He also says one thing to me off thread and another on thread...
    Anyway
    Another ,user here put it very well to me today .
    The whole idea of grading alarms is accessing the risk and the type of burglar you are protecting against.
    Most systems discussed here are grade one or grade 2.(Grade 1 if not monitored or self monitored) This assumes the burglar has very limited , or no knowledge of the workings of the system.
    Yet the arguments being put forward are more suited to Grade 3 or 4. Where you assume the burglar is proficient is all aspects of the system in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Yep.
    Too many sending out reps that don't know about alarms or how the monitoring works.
    Don't get me started on the lies I've heard on the door step.

I loved when phone watch used to come around. :pac:

Advertisement