Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pepsi Throwback

Options
  • 17-09-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Was always a big fan of Pepsi when I was young and yet now I can't stand the stuff. Always thought that that it tastes nothing like what it used to 20 years ago. Made off that they changed the taste or something circa 1998 when they went from the iconic white and red cans to the blue cans.

Anyways, spotted a can of Pepsi Throwback a few days ago. What would you know. Tastes completely different to the standard Pepsi. Tastes like I remember it used to when I was young.

Does anyone else think this. Seemingly the reason Pepsi Throwback even exists is due to actual sugar being used in its formula. In the USA, Pepsi use high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar in its standard Pepsi.

However, I was always lead to believe that sugar is used even in the normal Pepsi in Europe. If so, why does it taste different and has anyone else who has tried a can noticed the difference ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

I cant answer your questions on Pepsi, but I've been drinking Diet Coke in bulk for close to two decades now.
    The taste seems to change depending on location, I can pretty much pinpoint where a coke has been bottled at this stage (in Ireland). Diet Coke as we know it doesn't exist on the mainland either, it's Coke lite - an entirely different recipe, I have no idea why, but it could be related to the sugar/hfcs thing you mentioned.

I'm sure that pepsi would have a similar "local taste". Did you move since 20 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gotham wrote: »
    I can pretty much pinpoint where a coke has been bottled at this stage (in Ireland).
    I think coke do put effort in to make coke taste the same worldwide though.

But I don't think pepsi do as much. I think there was a thread where somebody was complaining about dealz selling UK sourced pepsi max and it not tasting the same, I think they contacted pepsi who said it would be different in different regions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_Throwback

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Well, the thing is that normal Pepsi is made in Ireland, while this Throwback stuff is made in the USA.

Could it be that the taste varies that much between where the product is produced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jasonmullingar

I have just tried Pepsi Throwback and I have to agree with the first post that it tastes much better than todays Pepsi( I find that todays Pepsi has some funny ingredients that do it no favours). I think Pepsi would be on a real winner by keeping Throwback and making it much more widely available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Soft drinks in the US, use high fructose corn syrup buts it no really used in the EU(I think the EU highly regulates it to protect EU sugar production like the way it doesnt really allow Brazilian beef in the EU). I imagine the Pepsi throwback is just a marketing thing. I seriously doubt pepsi has to the expense of reformulating its mass produced syrup for such a same niche market. Considering its extremely easy to buy Mexican Coke and Pepsi in the US which is made with sugar

• Advertisement
Advertisement