Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card recommendation.......

Options
  • 17-09-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a graphics card for my pc with this monitor:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-S240HLbid-widescreen-monitor-Backlight/dp/B005QVZ79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379426074&sr=8-1&keywords=acer+monitor

My PC specs:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name FAMILY-PC
    System Manufacturer MEDIONPC
    System Model MS-7366
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 2499 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. A7366MLN.408, 26/10/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale Ireland
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    User Name Family-PC\Family
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.34 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 6.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 4.01 GB
    Page File Space 3.00 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Ive been looking at the following:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATI-Radeon-5850-1GB-With-Zalman-SuperCooler-HD5850-Graphics-Card-/151115023219?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item232f284373

Please take into mind i know nothing about installing graphics cards etc although i am pc friendly.It would be for daily use but i want the "option" of playing some new games but not at a very high end,im not a big gamer but want to play the like of GTA 5 etc,again not at a really high level..i presume my 24" monitor will have some bearing on my options.Looking for cheap and cheerful if at all possible

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭bezerk

big question is how much are you willing to spend? Processor isn't great and will hold you back. Any idea of your PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dannyo666

No,not really comfortable opening the case,my model no is MEDION AKOYA X7330 D (MD 8339),ive googled it but cant find PSU specs...any other way?

Was looking at spending €120 tops

Cheers

edit:just saw it says 230VAC where i plug in power supply to pc

From reading it has a 350 watt PSU and no idea what connections it has. PC is from 2009 so not sure what would fit it unless I opened up the case. Not much online about it. Those PSU's that come with pre-build machines are usually a pile of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dannyo666

Really?Any way around this?

dannyo666 wrote: »
    Really?Any way around this?

New PSU, your ram is also slow, processor not great as its a nearly four years old at this stage and can't really be upgraded as you would need a new motherboard. I'd put my money into a new system tbh. Someone here might be able to help you if they have a 7750 or something to try. The Ram and CPU will bottleneck new games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

bezerk wrote: »
    New PSU, your ram is also slow, processor not great as its a nearly four years old at this stage and can't really be upgraded as you would need a new motherboard. I'd put my money into a new system tbh. Someone here might be able to help you if they have a 7750 or something to try. The Ram and CPU will bottleneck new games

I'd have to agree here too - a new PSU is required for sure, and then the cost of a GPU on top.

You'd be better off investing in a new medium-range PC. You could build something for quite cheap.

If you're going to do it, do it right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just stick a 7750 in for 70 euro. Will get through most new games at decent settings and doesn't need a 6-pin adaptor so even if the PSU is rubbish, it'll still be fine. Hard to speculate on GTA V seeing as it's not announced for PC. Otherwise, you could get a new PSU for 40 euro, and then buy a 7790 for about a total of 150 delivered, would perform pretty OK at most new games at 1080P. Q8300 and 4GB Ram is still OK for the moment for most things. Next stop after that is new PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭marathonic

. Otherwise, you could get a new PSU for 40 euro, and then buy a 7790 for about a total of 150 delivered, would perform pretty OK at most new games at 1080P. Q8300 and 4GB Ram is still OK for the moment for most things. Next stop after that is new PC.

I'd go for this option and keep the old PSU. When it comes to a time you can afford to upgrade again, you can put the old PSU back in and sell the old system.

You then have the option to use the new PSU and GPU in the new system, possibly adding a second GPU for crossfire!

Advertisement