Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inform revenue of emigration?

Options
  • 17-09-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hey,

Someone mentioned to me that I should inform the Irish revenue that I've emigrated.
    Is this wise? What is the purpose? Tax wise I've only worked 1 day in Ireland in this tax year so won't make a huge difference. But is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

fergusb wrote: »
    Hey,

Someone mentioned to me that I should inform the Irish revenue that I've emigrated.
    Is this wise? What is the purpose? Tax wise I've only worked 1 day in Ireland in this tax year so won't make a huge difference. But is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Only if you're doing a return, in your case you weren't working so won't really be entitled to anything.

E.G. If you worked up till now and were leaving you would be due the Tax Free allowance for last 2/3 months of the year.

Looks like you already moved so i wouldn't bother doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Thanks for the info!

Someone also mentioned to me there could be something relating to PRSI credits. That if you are not contributing to PRSI you are assumed to be not working and your credits reduce. So by telling them you've left you don't use your credits should you return.

Does that make any sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

fergusb wrote: »
    Thanks for the info!

Someone also mentioned to me there could be something relating to PRSI credits. That if you are not contributing to PRSI you are assumed to be not working and your credits reduce. So by telling them you've left you don't use your credits should you return.

Does that make any sense?

Once your residency ceases in Ireland this is gone anyway.
    PRSI is an Insurance not a savings scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Once your residency ceases in Ireland this is gone anyway.
    PRSI is an Insurance not a savings scheme.

But you can claim an Irish pension overseas? Or am I mislead?

Advertisement