Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So there will be a lot of 10 yr olds playing GTA V today.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You would be better off doing some study instead of gaming if you are spelling like this at 15! :D

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

MillerIE wrote: »
    Strict parents make sneaky kids
    That's true to an extent but when those sneaky kids become parents themselves, they know every trick in the book. ;)

I was never an angel as a kid, but rarely got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Dcully wrote: »

Im pretty sure im doing the right thing here,i understand i cannot protect my children from everything but at 10 years of age he is simply not ready.
    Im not trying to start this whole gaming is bad for kids debate as i simply dont agree but im wondering will any of you parents be doing similar?
    I'm an avid gamer myself and a fan of GTA and totally agree with your stance. Fair play to you for being a decent parent!
    0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Bah he's 10, he knows all about chicks, dicks, fanny, blowjobs, **** this **** that **** you.

I don't think not letting him play a game is going to change anything. He hears worse in school i'll bet.
    You see, that's the issue. He may well know all those words and what some of them mean, but that does not mean that he knows all about them. Don't confuse using phrases like that with actual knowledge.

They will hear those terms from other content and at some stage grow curious about it. The objectification of women from games like this is something that sinks into the psyche of young lads in a very insidious way e.g. they learn the words "ho" and "bitch" as a synonym for women, not as an offensive term. GTA V is a world where this language is pervasive and prostitutes are commonplace and to a kid at an awkward age when they may or may not be aware of or interested in sex and who is encountering this stuff for the first time, it can seem normal. You hear anything enough times and it you become desensitised to it.

Very well said implausible. Excellent.

I'm a fan of GTA, it portrays the 'seedy underbelly' of urban America very well and as an entertainment product, just like a movie, it even hypes and in some ways glamorises the activities within.

However, I'm an adult who is relatively well-adjusted and I completely understand that referring to a woman as 'bitch' or 'ho' is just wrong and corrupt! It's disgusting. I understand that women are not commodities.

My adult brain knows and understands this. A 10 year old brain is very different and while they understand it's a game, they also think that repetition of some of the language and the 'lifestyle' portrayed in the game is cool and tough and exotic.

Unfortunately a lot of parents are not seeing the game being played by their kids or think that because it looks 'cartoony' that it somehow won't have any effect on the kid. I'm not so sure. I think it just reinforces things that they are picking up from music videos (Robin Thicke anyone? :mad:) and other imagery.

All that said, I'm a fan of GTA simply because I can take the portrayals in the game and put them completely in context. It's an adult game, kids simply shouldn't be playing it imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well folks ive stuck to my guns despite seeing so many of his friends playing it.
    He has been very good about it,im so proud of him.
    It was his birthday yesterday 11 now, party this evening with his mates in local gaa hall and astro turf.
    He informed me lastnight his two cousins are playing it now 9 and 12 which seems to have made it hurt more.
    Ive seen atleast 8 of his class mates playing it on his xbox friends list,all of whom are nice young lads and will attend his party this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

My Nephew didn't get it either, despite people saying that 14 was plenty old.
    He since downloaded the Battlefield 4 beta demo, and hasn't breathed a word about GTA V since.
    After I posted here I was very conflicted, and was leaning toward him getting it. But as mentioned, it never became an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i disagree, i know some 10 year olds do, but not all, how do you know the op's son isn't one of those who are blissfully unaware?

i know an 8 year old who is across the road right now and playing this game, i also know he smokes because he often asked us for cigarettes and is seen in the trees smoking them,

he also drinks alcohol his mother leaves lying around,

that doesn't mean all 8 year olds drink and smoke, or even know how to or know about alcohol and cigarettes, some do some don't.

That kid sounds like a fckin badass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Fair play for sticking to your stance. It must be hard on him but in the long run you're right, he's far too young to play it.

I sometimes wish there were two versions of some of the games out there, the 18+ version and a PG version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

My son is 12 (13 in march) and he's looking for GTA for Christmas, hard saying no as a load of his friends play it. But that doesn't make it right. So after looking at what people say I think he's 2 young and its more important I'm a dad than a friend. So it's going to be a no this yr. ANyway I would prefer if he learn't to think for himself and not be one of the crowd

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Many 10 years olds still believe in the Man in Red. It's 18s for a reason. Think of it this way, would you be happy to see children play this in school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

It baffles me why an over 18 ratings game is on sale in Toys R US.

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/index.jsf?fh_eds=%EF%BF%BD&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=0&fh_location=%2f%2ftrus%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C%7btrus_trus%7d%2fitemtype%3dproduct%2f%24s%3dgrand%5cu0020theft%5cu0020auto&media=web

I wrote a letter of complaint to them.

"The comments come from Lazlow, recognizable to Grand Theft Auto fans as the franchise's long-suffering radio DJ: "Our games are not designed for young people. If you're a parent and buy one of our games for your child you're a terrible parent. We design games for adults because we're adults."
    http://www.destructoid.com/rockstar-terrible-parents-buy-gta-for-children-174229.phtml

There is always this....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/pqube-Atari-Flashback-3-Console/dp/B005HGDPCM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385931255&sr=8-2&keywords=atari+flashback+4

• Advertisement
Advertisement