Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Snackrite Crisps ???

Options
  • 17-09-2013 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Hi

Today I was eating a packet of Snackrite "Satin Crunch Thai Sweet Chilli" Crisps for my lunch.

I got a small taste of prawns when I was eating them , so I decided to look at the back and make sure that they were vegetarian friendly . They Were!!

Then I looked at the warning .

This is what it says " May contain traces of celery and FISH "

How can anything have a trace of fish and be vegetarian ?

I am quite upset about this!!! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Celery and fish? what a combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Because they are made in a factory or on a machine that uses other ingredients. They are just legally covering themselves. While its not part of the recipe, they are just making your aware it may be possible to have traces.

My wife has the same problem but her issue is gluten, which makes her sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Because they are made in a factory or on a machine that uses other ingredients. They are just legally covering themselves. While its not part of the recipe, they are just making your aware it may be possible to have traces.

My wife has the same problem but her issue is gluten, which makes her sick.

Yes , but let's just say there was fish on the conveyor belt and then the crisps came along 30 mins later and the conveyor has not been cleaned .

Fish will stick to the crisps, right ?

nanook5 wrote: »
    Yes , but let's just say there was fish on the conveyor belt and then the crisps came along 30 mins later and the conveyor has not been cleaned .

Fish will stick to the crisps, right ?

Probably....

Same as your kitchen. If you made something, then cleaned up, could you guarantee there was no trace of the previous food left?

Pretty impossible !

I guess I just won't eat them anymore :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I guess I just won't eat them anymore :P

Guess you don't eat in any restaurant where the kitchen also preps fish too?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Maxthedm

In any factory following normal procedure they clean the machines thoroughly between each use, so there's no cross-contamination. The "may contain traces of" label is just to cover their asses in the unlikelihood that a small amount remains.

Most veg*ans ignore the warning though as it's really not much to worry about, though it is entirely your choice if you wish to or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

pwurple wrote: »
    Guess you don't eat in any restaurant where the kitchen also preps fish too?
    But won't most restaurants will use the blue board for prepping fish?

OP, there are some foods that will always have a note like that at the end. In a mass production facility they would have to, considering the amount of produce that has a small potential of cross contamination.

I'd rather not be the person who gets a bag of crisps which has been cross contaminated .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

As would be the view of most, if not all of us veg*ns :)

• Advertisement

The warnings on packets are not really meant to be taken literally. The manufactures are more concerned about poisoning people with allergies, so cover themselves with disclaimers.

While you have made a personal decision to choose your diet, you cannot be positive of any processed food. You just have to trust the maker.

My opinion of this is you are being overly sensitive.

I used to work in a chipper helping the owner. I saw a lady one night who I can only describe as unpleasant.

Are you sure its vegetarian?
    Has it been on a tray next to meat?
    Are you sure?
    Etc etc etc.

I listened as he assured her the receipe contained no meat. Only afterwards did he tell me it was cooked in lard - refined cow fat!

Dont be so sensitive, otherwise you will never eat again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd rather not be the person who gets a bag of crisps which has been cross contaminated .

Pretty much everything you buy will be coming from places that have non-vegan traces on the conveyor belt btw. Most vegans have things like green&blacks and so on that warn of "traces of milk" because it's not in the recipe. They are only warning as a precaution for allergies.

Advertisement