Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

• 17-09-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

As Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week is just around the corner ( http://www.carbonmonoxide.ie/htm/week.htm ) i thought it a good time to bring it up here and advise all to make the small investment, lots of alarms will shortly be on special offers, well worth the punt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

To add, before the season kicks off, it is worth while to get your boiler serviced by an RGI or OFTEC Technician & perhaps get them to install the CO alarm in the correct location.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Billy Davey

How much should I expect to pay for a Carbon Monoxide alarm?

It really depends on what you want. Ones where you have to put in 9v square battery start at out €20. You have to keep changing battery over its lifespan.
    Best are ones with built in battery that are guaranteed for the life of the alarm, which is 7 years. Those are generally about about €50 - €60 for decent ones.
    EI Electronics are excellent & Irish made.
    You can get mains wired but they still have to be replaced every 7 years as the CO cell has a lifespan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

+1 for Ei Electronics.

Where do they typically go? On the ceiling like a smoke alarm? Or should they go near your gas boiler?

• Advertisement

At high level, no closer than 300mm from the corner of the ceiling/wall, if in the same room as the appliance. If in a bedroom, then at head height. If there are too many doors between the alarm & the bedroom for example, the dB level may not be audible when asleep. They can be interlinked with a second alarm so that all alarm if one does. This is done wirelessly.
    If there is a flue/chimney passing through a bedroom, then it is recommended that each room that the flue passes through should also have an alarm.

Basically, there are many choices for many scenarios. A good technician can advise what is best for each situation.

Cheers, thanks for the info

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

As Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week is just around the corner ( http://www.carbonmonoxide.ie/htm/week.htm ) i thought it a good time to bring it up here and advise all to make the small investment, lots of alarms will shortly be on special offers, well worth the punt.

Fcuk all mention of it in the media or on TV....:(:rolleyes:

Tesco made a big song and dance of this last year around 2-3 weeks before.

They had CO alarms on sale at half price...but so far this year nothing at all.

I bought 2 x 7 year Fire Angel CO alarms .

Where do they typically go? On the ceiling like a smoke alarm? Or should they go near your gas boiler?

There is a short clip that will help here.... http://www.carbonmonoxide.ie/htm/co_alarms.htm but i would tend to agree with Shane (again)and suggest you get your boiler serviced by a registered Engineer and get them to install the CO alarm in the correct location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Please search boards.ie top bar with:

Carbon monoxide death ( My Sister )

Thanks.
    As I'm not to sure how to repost it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

There was a close call the other day up my way.CO alarms went off in a house when we got there we found an open fire with a plastic bag caught on the crow guard in the chimney it was causing a obstruction leading to CO if the householders hadn't an alarm god only knows what the outcome could have been.

Robbie.G wrote: »
    There was a close call the other day up my way.CO alarms went off in a house when we got there we found an open fire with a plastic bag caught on the crow guard in the chimney it was causing a obstruction leading to CO if the householders hadn't an alarm god only knows what the outcome could have been.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0403/379582-sligo-inquest/

shane0007 wrote: »
    They are the cheap ones that you must put batteries in. The ones that do not have replaceable batteries are better. They can be linked also to other alarms if required.

Was only putting up the link so that people can buy 1 if they wish to.

Any CO alarm is better than none at all...and many an older folk might not know what you are talking about.

I have the 7 year Fire Angel CO/Temp alarms (built in sealed battery) in my own house and am happy with them.

Bought them for feck all euros last year in Tesco.....12 euro each as far as I can remember.:)

Now then!! Xmas is here and we're all gona be partying with family and friends, no doubt the stoves will be popping, the fires roaring and the gas and oil boilers keeping us all nice a toasty, more reason to keep alert to possible dangers of CO and also what a great little stocking filler a CO alarm could make.

Be safe not sorry this xmas.

Have a nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Now then!! Xmas is here and we're all gona be partying with family and friends, no doubt the stoves will be popping, the fires roaring and the gas and oil boilers keeping us all nice a toasty, more reason to keep alert to possible dangers of CO and also what a great little stocking filler a CO alarm could make.

Have a nice one.

good thinking no4

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Have a nice one.

Would make a great gift, though sadly I can't see anyone jumping up and down with joy after opening it up under the tree.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Would make a great gift, though sadly I can't see anyone jumping up and down with joy after opening it up under the tree.

so you think the wife might not like the new ironing board I got her :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

jimf wrote: »
    When buying a gift for the wife always think if it was to be thrown at you.an iron isnt great.co alarm is a great idea.ive meaning to get one for my mum.

• Advertisement

I went for "Basic Cooking for beginners" Might just sweeten it up with fire shovel. I cant wait to see the delightful look on her face Christmas morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Hope you don't bruise easily - I'd advise you not to get a steel shovel. :D

maringo wrote: »
    Hope you don't bruise easily - I'd advise you not to get a steel shovel. :D
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Have a nice one.
    good thinking no4

Awareness saves lives, this topic was a sticky so didnt need to be pull back, but it seems to be un-stickied now so if peeps can pull it up the odd time it will keep the awareness up there.

Wearb wrote: »
    I went for "Basic Cooking for beginners" Might just sweeten it up with fire shovel. I cant wait to see the delightful look on her face Christmas morning.

jaysus wearb

you would feckin ruin it with your 2 presents your generosity knowns no bounds

enjoy your trip to the a&e

jaysus wearb

you would feckin ruin it with your 2 presents your generosity knowns no bounds

enjoy your trip to the a&e

Maybe you are right Jim. I think I will keep the shovel for our anniversary :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Just a point, there is a lot of rubbish CO alarms, non CE marked I have come across of late, some bought from ebay etc, last has a ppm readout (that was reading 65ppm, hence the callout!) and was €7.50 direct from China

Buy a recognised brand, that has a CE mark, and has an 'end of life' indicator built in.

Even better buy Irish, EI electronics, one of the top brands and can be found in most plumbing stores (I have no link with them!)

RE, Xmas prezzies for herself, just got off a the phone with a certain midlands oilman, he has bought her 20 wooden posts for the garden, and was proud of the fact he got 20 of them!!

I'll back that, always look for the CE mark, or buy the leading Irish brand EI electronics and have someone you understand on the end of the phone to communicate with you.

crock! wrote: »
    EI have great instructions with them telling you where to put them in your house.all to often people have co alarms put in the wrong place because it doesn't suit the decor of the room.

I think that while there are preferential places for them, that because of the way CO mixes so easily with air they will work in most areas that doesn't have a dead zone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

crock! wrote: »
    EI have great instructions with them telling you where to put them in your house.all to often people have co alarms put in the wrong place because it doesn't suit the decor of the room.

I had one customer who kept it in nice almost air tight kitchen press to keep the dust off it.!!!!

Advertisement