Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterproof socks

• 17-09-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭

So my boots aren't 100% waterproof and after a particularly miserable commute home today I've decided enough wet feet is enough. I've seen waterproof socks online but I remember the shipping being something like £10. Anyone any recommendations for a pair of socks to go over normal socks when on the bike? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

sealskinz all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Buy waterproof boots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Would you go for a pair of the waterproof overboots? They are cheap and avoid the whole soggy boot scenario.
    Lidl sometimes have them with their motorcycle gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Would you not consider something like this:

Waterproof Boots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have a good pair of boots already with good protection in them so I don't really want to fork out for another set. Only the stitching at the front of my current pair leak, in bad rain and on the motorway so my feet aren't getting sodden but it's enough to be uncomfortable.I don't thing the over-boots would fit easily over my current boots as their pretty chunk but I'll keep an eye out for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

For serious rain riding, I got a pair of these - http://www.treds.com/products/waterproof-motorcycle-rain-boot/ Absolutely brilliant bit of kit.
    They are (IIRC)1.5 - 2mm rubber and unless you holed them, there is no way they would let in water.

If it's just a leaking stitching problem then Vaseline is your answer.
    My favourite boots were non-waterproof. And a pure bitch to dry once the wet got in. I was getting really fed up of cold damp feet when a friend mentioned coating the boots in vaseline as a cure.
    About twice a year now I coat them with vaseline, let it soak in overnight, and clean off the excess the next morning. I've been doing this for about 5 years now, and my boots could be classed as very, very water resistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had great results with welt seal for leaking stitching it worked very well and made the boots waterproof again.
    Not sure if you can get it here but it should be easy to post if you wanted to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

An old courier trick (and I did this myself for a while) is to get plastic bags and wrap them round your feet before you put your boots on. Give it a go and see. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Brixworkwear

Hi There are loads of sprays and seals to water proof your boot. You can use vaseline (if its a leather boot) but dubbin is similar and is specifically made for the job. You could also go for a hydrophobic spray or treatment. Its where my money would be you would need to treat it more often but it will keep the boots drier. We used to call it scotchguard when we were younger but there are loads of brands that do it now like granger, wholly or nikwax.

If your boot has gore-tex (or similar, a waterproof breathable membrane) in it using dubbin or vaseline will render the breathability useless and you might as well go with the plasticbag approach above, your feet will sweat ... a lot. In this case you need to find a spray/conditioner/treatment that will work with gore-tex. Id recommend one but I think that would be breaking the rules. All of the aforementioned brands do a product that will work with a breathable membrane.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Sealskinz are good. Note: they offer a lined and unlined version (or at least they used to!)
    Sealskinz should be available in a local outdoor\hiking shop - but maybe not the knee-length type if that's the one you want.

A cheaper alternative might be a sock\boot liner from an army surplus shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Another thing I used to do was to spray the boot all over with WD-40. As it's a water dispersant, it kept the rain out. Not a permanent solution, but did the trick.

Thanks guys, I put vaseline on the boots last night and I found the sealskins socks on wiggle with free delivery so I ordered a pair just there. Will update the 1st wet day there is once I have them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The sealskins work great just make sure the tops of them are protected by rain gear. If water is running down your leg onto the top of them the water gets inside and then you have two water proof socks holding water which is a barrell of non laughs :)

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I put vaseline on the boots last night and I found the sealskins socks on wiggle with free delivery so I ordered a pair just there. Will update the 1st wet day there is once I have them!

So I've been using the sealskinz all week, just wearing them over thin socks and taking them off when I get changed in work.

Works great, bone-dry feet! Luckily I had a small bit of wiggle room in my boots as-is, these are pretty thick socks. Sealskinz rates the socks I got at a thermal level of 4 (the max they have is 5) but I've not been overly warm in them so I'm glad I didn't get lower-rated ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

P.K.M. wrote: »
    An old courier trick (and I did this myself for a while) is to get plastic bags and wrap them round your feet before you put your boots on. Give it a go and see. :D

^ This was nearly the cause of me & the quare one splitting up...the bang off me plates of meat after a days hard riding was malogen :eek: :D

Advertisement