Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't just be the schools being back, can it?

• 17-09-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭

Jaysas, the traffic is chronic around the place the last while, 35mins to travel 4.4km from the Ennis Rd out to Corbally WTF!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

What time are you travelling?

Head out Long Pavement to Parteen and back into Corbally, longer distance but probably quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In fairness look at the weather at the moment plus all the schools are back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Yeah hindsight is great ok, thought it would be a little heavy ish alright but from St Munchins Church to St Mary's was absolutely chronic, traffic hardly moving at all, the lights on the Corbally rd / Mill rd junction were only allowing about 5 or 6 cars through at a time

It was brutal too last night around 6,50 Kileely to Corbally so can't blame the schools there & the weather was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Ennis Road traffic gone to $h!t these mornings, time to take the Condell Road instead for ye olde city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

think the Ennis road problem in morning is the un-coordinate traffic lights all way through to top of William Street. some of them have very short timings with only 5 cars getting through. also, college started back this week - always think this causes more traffic than regular school traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Ennis Road traffic gone to $h!t these mornings, time to take the Condell Road instead for ye olde city centre

The Condell Road is as bad normally, the works at the end of Mallow St have slowed things down a bit.

It wasnt too bad this morning as there was a cop that had pulled someone over for driving in the Bus lane, hope he is there every morning,

My commute from Caherdavin to Raheen has become a pain, it was so much easier in the the summer, I ended zig zagging around the city one day last week, not sure it was any quicker, but it was better for my sanity.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    The Condell Road is as bad normally, the works at the end of Mallow St have slowed things down a bit.

It wasnt too bad this morning as there was a cop that had pulled someone over for driving in the Bus lane, hope he is there every morning,

My commute from Caherdavin to Raheen has become a pain, it was so much easier in the the summer, I ended zig zagging around the city one day last week, not sure it was any quicker, but it was better for my sanity.

Tunnel?

I use it every now and again, but I drive a van, and don't want to have to pay 3.30 each day. :(

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Leave earlier, or tunnel. 5 minutes can make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You might think I'm mad but people generally leave their houses at even times like 8am 8:15 and 8;30. We come in from Newport and its amazing what the Newport Road roundabout(whatever the council call it now) is like at 8am and just after. It makes a massive difference.

On Monday morning the traffic was so bad on it that it was a gridlocked two lanes of traffic on it all the way around.

• Advertisement

just came from town, coming down Henry Street was pathetic. 5/6 cars came through the red lights from Shannon Street blocking the junction so when the lights went green for henry street, there was no where for those cars to go. gridlock from this only got cleared when the lights at lower bedford row next changed and allowed 3 cars through before the gridlock at the Sarsfield St/Henry Street junction stopped everything again. meanwhile garda traffic corps car sat in the same traffic with me and did nothing about the cars running the red lights or blocking the junctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Comhrá

garda traffic corps car sat in the same traffic with me and did nothing about the cars running the red lights or blocking the junctions.

In fairness I'd say the Gardai are so jaded from looking at the traffic mess every day on Henry St. and elsewhere they probably feel it's futile to start pulling in drivers who block the yellow boxes and jump lights. People just don't learn. We're Irish drivers and that'd about it as regards disciplined driving. :(

There seems to be no sequencing of the lights in the city centre, and William St. has become very slow and frustrating with extra pedestrian lights and traffic lights further up the street which (I feel) are totally unnecessary.

I put a lot of the blame (rightly or wrongly) for the chronic traffic problems on the planners who insist on putting traffic lights on every junction in town.
    Seems that when it comes to traffic management they only know about traffic lights and little else.

Even out the Ennis Road, those lights at the Strand Hotel and the ones further out at LIDL/Jetland are only contributing to the problem instead of helping it.

Many times I've been stopped at the Strand at a red light, and no traffic coming out of the hotel and just one or two cars coming from Farranshone.

Same scenario at the Jetland/LIDL lights..... stopped at red light outbound on Ennis Road, little or no traffic from the Woodies direction-or LIDL, then drive on again to be stopped again at the Ivan's cross lights for another lengthy wait :mad:.

and I see in tonight's Limerick Post there are more traffic lights going on the Ennis Road by the Greenhills :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

and I see in tonight's Limerick Post there are more traffic lights going on the Ennis Road by the Greenhills :mad:

An advertisement brought to you by the Limerick tunnel.

just came from town, coming down Henry Street was pathetic. 5/6 cars came through the red lights from Shannon Street blocking the junction so when the lights went green for henry street, there was no where for those cars to go.

Last Sunday I was stopped at the lights at the bottom of Shannon St and watched four cars in the space of 30secs come out of the multi-storey carpark exit (Dunnes) and turn Left, come up to the junction and succeed in turning left onto Henry St, lot of hooting of horns

This may have to do with the fatal accident of a postman near there, turning right out of Caherdavin Lawn is a mare

there should be a no right turn out of Caherdavin lawn - turn left, head to roundabout and then back towards town - 2 mins extra to your journey. pedestrian lights or a ped bridge would solve the occasional pedestrian. every single junction doesn't demand a right turn into traffic or a set of traffic lights. there are other ways to manage traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

there should be a no right turn out of Caherdavin lawn - turn left, head to roundabout and then back towards town - 2 mins extra to your journey. pedestrian lights or a ped bridge would solve the occasional pedestrian. every single junction doesn't demand a right turn into traffic or a set of traffic lights. there are other ways to manage traffic

What about the people who want to turn right to go to Shannon out of caherdavin?

easy - use the exit from Caherdavin by the Mace. its a safer option as the traffic is moving much slower and there is a yellow box which makes it safer too.

kilburn wrote: »
    What about the people who want to turn right to go to Shannon out of caherdavin?

If you feel it's unsafe to turn right then turn left and then right at Ivan's and down to ring road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

phog wrote: »
    If you feel it's unsafe to turn right then turn left and then right at Ivan's and down to ring road.

Never said i felt it was unsafe, I come out that way most days

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    Never said i felt it was unsafe, I come out that way most days

Sorry, I assumed because you raised a query for turning right that you felt it was unsafe unless lights were installed. I turn right there at times too and don't really see the need for lights there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Midnight Shadow

I have a theory.....there is a continual addition of new traffic lights, new pedestrian crossings e.g. all around roundabout at city end of Condell road bridge, traffic lights set to slow up movement of traffic.....the council want us to use the tolled tunnel because it is not making the profits they envisaged...all about the money!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I dont think there is a traffic light in town that works in tandem with the other lights on the same junction. I've often sat in traffic at a red light while the light at the other side is green and a minutes worth of imaginary cars pass through.

And dont get me started on the roadworks. Why didnt they do them during the summer when the traffic was very light. Seems like every year the council goes back to work the same day as the schools go back!

Don't know if true or not but I've been told that if the council don't use up their annually allocated euro's for say roads for example, then their budget for next year gets cut so towards the end of every year they spend as much of it as possible in order to ensure that their budgets are not cut or cut as little as possible the following year

A lot of blame must lie with bad driving behaviour, stopping on yellow boxed junctions, gambling on red not to mind yellow lights, poor lane discipline and parking on a driving lane, William St and Cecil St being the worst in town for it.

Pedestrians jaywalking doesn't help the situation either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

traffic is deffo worse in the mornings.

my travel from thomondgate to raheen is extremely slow.

i find my self waiting until 8:50 to leave it means i'm a couple of mins late but
    it doesn't take 45 mins to get across town.

one morning last week i left my house at 8:10 and headed down shelbourne road
    it took me about 30 mins to reach the new bridge.

the traffic lights at union cross are a disgrace.

Took me an hour yesterday morning to get across town,

And this evening the Dock road inbound was very busy, took a lot longer than normal.

The recession must really be over

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Took me an hour yesterday morning to get across town,

And this evening the Dock road inbound was very busy, took a lot longer than normal.

The recession must really be over

Through town wasn't too bad this evening.

I was even leaving people out

This morning I drove down Belfield Gardens to join the Ennis road near the Strand Hotel. I joined a queue of traffic near the back gate to the maternity at 08.29 I got onto the Ennis Road at 08.38. By the time I got to the lights they changed twice with cars on the yellow box blocking me getting onto the Ennis Rd.

• Advertisement

driving the dock road on Thursday morning
    and it was heavier then normal
    and people driving up on the right lane really drives me crazy
    why do people let them into the left lane is beyond me.

I never leave them in
    they should have moved into the lane past the docks just like i did

Advertisement