Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How should I bring evidence that I am residing in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-09-2013 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Dear All,

I am an EU citizen who has returned to Ireland. I worked here for two years back in 2007-2009, so I have a PPS number.

Now I would like to open an account and my question would be: how can I testify that I reside in Ireland? I have no bills, no insurance.

Is my landlord able to provide me with any document that can be accepted? If so than what is needed exactly?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Get whoever does the bills to sign a declaration saying you are resident at that address. Then bring the bank a copy of bills + the declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Your tenancy agreement with your landlord should be sufficient to prove residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 badamreg

Thank you all.

As of the bills, it would take too much time as these come every two months only and I need the account urgently as I am already working.

I think I will need my landlord's help but I do not know if there is any format to follow that is why I am seeking some official advice. I may call Bank of Ireland as I do not want to waste anyone's time at the bank office if I am not prepared enough.

Thanks again,

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Anything official with your name and address on it tying it to your address should do it.

Even a printout of a PDF of a bill or something if you have online billing from Electric Ireland, Bord Gais, Eircom, UPC or something like that would possibly do. The banks tend to make the rules up as they go along to some extent, they have to be satisfied that they've proven your address, however I'm not sure that they've any particular legal requirements to use certain documents to do that.

It's primarily an anti-money laundering measure.

Sometimes they won't accept mobile phone or bank statements as they don't tie you to a particular address.

Your lease would be ideal.

Look for any letters from the utility companies that include your name and address.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Anything official with your name and address on it tying it to your address should do it.

Even a printout of a PDF of a bill or something if you have online billing from Electric Ireland, Bord Gais, Eircom, UPC or something like that would possibly do. The banks tend to make the rules up as they go along to some extent, they have to be satisfied that they've proven your address, however I'm not sure that they've any particular legal requirements to use certain documents to do that.

It's primarily an anti-money laundering measure.

Sometimes they won't accept mobile phone or bank statements as they don't tie you to a particular address.

Your lease would be ideal.
    Thank you. My problem with the bills is that I have just arrived, and also how can I have a bill for any service if I cannot provide an address for them either. Why would a provider accept my address by simply telling it if a bank does not?

I hope my lease would be fine but I have read on a webpage that banks usually do not accept a lease... But this is a nonsense.

Maybe there is a possibility at the local authorities to get registered there. But they - like the bank - how will believe me that I live there?

Thanks,

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's a bit of a catch-22 because we do not have any official record of addresses or ID cards like continental Europe.

If you've nothing at all in your name, the lease would be the best place to start.

Quite a lot of the utility companies will let you setup a bill without any bank account details required, although you typically have to pay a deposit if they've no direct debit, but they'll usually waive this once a DD is setup.

I mean for example, I just activated an eircom line without providing any proof of anything.

A lot of things in Ireland (and indeed in Britain and the US) like this are just taken on trust when you call the utility. No ID will typically be asked for.
    Their safety net is that the service is physically tied to the address you're connecting it up to so, really why would you lie about it I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi badamreg,

Thanks for posting.

We would suggest phoning the branch you wish to open the account with, to discuss what documentation you do have and they can advise if it is acceptable. A bank is legally required to obtain proof of address and valid photo id before opening an account for a new customer.

You mentioned that you have recently started a new job. If you have been issued anything from the Revenue that shows your name and address, this should suffice. 

Thanks
    Tara

Hi badamreg,

Thanks for posting.

We would suggest phoning the branch you wish to open the account with, to discuss what documentation you do have and they can advise if it is acceptable. A bank is legally required to obtain proof of address and valid photo id before opening an account for a new customer.

You mentioned that you have recently started a new job. If you have been issued anything from the Revenue that shows your name and address, this should suffice. 

Thanks
    Tara
    Thank you Tara.
    My problem is how Revenue will believe that this is my new address?

Anyways I have called the Kingscourt branch and they told me that they maybe (how can they say that "maybe"- it is not an answer) accept the lease agreement.

I hope they will.

Just ring revenue and change your address. Just make sure you've your PPS number handy.

Phone numbers are all here : http://www.revenue.ie/en/contact/index.html

Just ring revenue and change your address. Just make sure you've your PPS number handy.

Thank you, I can do that via phone, is it that easy? I just let them know my PPS and some personal data and dictate them my new address?

And then If I get any letters form them containing my name and current it would be just fine? I hope...

Thanks again,

Adam

• Advertisement

badamreg wrote: »

Thank you, I can do that via phone, is it that easy? I just let them know my PPS and some personal data and dictate them my new address?

And then If I get any letters form them containing my name and current it would be just fine? I hope...

Thanks again,

Adam
    Well, at worst you might have to write to them, but ring them up and find out! They're quite friendly.

Advertisement