Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muzzle!

• 17-09-2013 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I need to get a muzzle for my dog as he has decided he doesn't like children and has snapped at them. I lock him in my bedroom (which he loves!!) when there is children in the house but I have another 2 that can open doors and might let him out and I'd prefer to be safe than sorry.

Could anyone recommend a muzzle that's comfortable and allows him to pant/drink etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

a baskerville muzzle should suit , they come in a range of sizes and are cheap enough , they can be got in most petshops @ around €20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

+1 for the Baskerville.

You can bring your dog to the store to make sure you get one that fits properly and I'll PM you a link later which shows nice positive muzzle training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Toulouse wrote: »
    +1 for the Baskerville.

You can bring your dog to the store to make sure you get one that fits properly and I'll PM you a link later which shows nice positive muzzle training.

Hi Toulouse, would you mind sending me that link also. I am going to have to start to muzzle my Springer in the house to stop his thieving.

In the space of an hour one night this week he stole
    a towel,
    a throw,
    my kindle,
    sky remote,
    a plate,
    a kitchen roll holder,
    My Daughters sweater ( out of the washing machine - clean)
    the vet bed off the couch
    and out of the puppies crate.
    and big gulp of wine and tried to steal the glass.

He steals paper, packets, my phone (obsessed with my phone) he bit through the screen of my laptop when he stole that and dragged it into his crate, he bit and wrecked my google tablet less than 3 months after I got it (that made me cry) I cannot have cushions on my couch or leave picture frames or books in his reach.

When he steals stuff he brings them to his crate to chew! He is 11 now and although I have worked very very hard with him we are, I believe, at the limit of his ability to regulate this behaviour :(

Am thinking if I can get him comfortable wearing a muzzle around the house he may get out of the habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll head down today and try and get him sorted.

I'd love to see that link as I was anticipating issues with him and a muzzle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Will do! It's just in a mail that I won't have access to until this evening so will do it then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

OP why not just put a small sliding bolt near the top of the door so you can safely lock him in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

OP why not just put a small sliding bolt near the top of the door so you can safely lock him in?

It's something I thought of but if somehow it gets left open and a child wanders in and corners the dog it could end badly.

For the sake of him and the children its best to have it 100% covered.

Advertisement