Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wolseley 18/85

Options
  • 17-09-2013 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm hoping someone here can help me with some info.A friend of mine, who is not computer literate that's why I'm asking, has a Wolseley 18/85 he wants to sell. I have contacted the Wolseley club who were not in a position to put a price on it. We have no idea what it is worth. Don't want to ask x amount if it is totally off the wall either too dear or cheap. Does anyone have an idea of what it would be worth approx and would anyone on here be interested in it.
    It has had one owner since new and will come with two extra front doors.If there is anyone interested I will supply the owners contact no. to provide info on year, mileage, engine condition etc. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Slk,
    I would suggest your friends car is worth 500 euro, having an original Irish reg is of considerablei interest to many old car fans in this country. But the amount of work to make that one roadworthy would be considerable, the suspension system is different than most.

I once had the use of one for a week or two and it was an amazingly comfortable car, as I recall a six cylinder 2.2 litre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Hydrolastic suspension gone, all doors and no doubt sills rotten, as well as front panel. It all depends on the floor and front and rear sub-frames. I'd be saying it's worth a Paul Daniels - "Not a lot", but it'd need closer inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Just had a wee look on ebay, none of these, not even any morris1899, land crabs. We know this car is worth 150 to squash. Though restoring it is a big job, it could possibly break into a few bob, still not any more than 500 I think .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SLK2005

Thanks for the reply's. At least now we know

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

See if you can get a hydrolastic pump and fluid, and pump the suspension up again. My Dad picked up an Austin 1300 which had been off the road for 28 years, pumped the suspension and it is still up 3 or 4 years later. It might add a few € to the price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Cool reg number!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Surprised nobody in the Club took an interest, especially with the original reg !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SLK2005

Maybe its too much hassle to fix, I dont know as I know nothing about rebuilding cars. I like the look of some old cars but dont ask me anything about how they work:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LOCO57

Can anybody tell me how much the motor of a 1946 Wolseley 18/85 weighs?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

I'm sure I remember this car. I worked in Stuarts at the time (1971) and there were few Wolseleys like that around at the time. Engine and gearbox spares are easy to get and lots of panels are available. By any stretch of the imagination they are simple machines with the exception of the stupid suspension. We used to refer to the suspension pump as an 'Issy piss machine' .... a reference to Sir Alex Issigonis which in itself is wrong as the stupid suspension was designed by Alec Moulton!

They were the ADO17 if memory serves me right and I had a very special one as I used to work in the Prototype shop in Longbridge having left Stuarts in 1973. My 'stupid suspension' used the same Hydrolastic units used on the London to Mexico rally cars and the engine was a 2.6 version of the 2.2 E6 transverse six engine. There were only two transverse crankshafts made to give 2600 cc - basically the 2.2 was one and a half 1500 Maxi units and my engine was basically one and a half 1750 units - and I rescued one of them. It was quite torquey and clutches didnt last too long. It also had Minilite alloys which were quite rare at the time as the PCD and offset was unique to the car.

Great motorway car and with studded tyres was practically unstoppable in the snow! I brought it home with me and eventually sold it and a load of spares to a guy in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Surely adapting to a split Borg-Warner 35 might have been an easier task than fitting a manual box?

Advertisement