Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License For Lee Enfield?

Options
  • 17-09-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all, new here, just curious as to what license is required for the Lee Enfield, as I've seen a few post here that they own ones, as well as seen a few up for sale on Irish sites. I'm guessing something beyond deer hunting is required as they fore a slightly larger round. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Hi all, new here, just curious as to what license is required for the Lee Enfield, as I've seen a few post here that they own ones, as well as seen a few up for sale on Irish sites. I'm guessing something beyond deer hunting is required as they fore a slightly larger round. Thanks in advance.

A .303 with soft point ammo is deer legal in Ireland. Otherwise target shooting at a registered range/target club is a good reason to acquire that type of rifle as well. The licence would be a standard firearms licence for an unrestricted caliber rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The .303 british maybe large in bullet diameter but doesn't have quite the power of the .308win or .270win, but more power than the .243, so it is a very usable round for deer.

http://www.vcrai.com/phpBB/phpBB3/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jimjam joeyjoejoe

Thanks a lot, guys!
    A .303 with soft point ammo is deer legal in Ireland. Otherwise target shooting at a registered range/target club is a good reason to acquire that type of rifle as well. The licence would be a standard firearms licence for an unrestricted caliber rifle.

To be clear, this is the same license that is required for something as small caliber as a .22 rifle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Same license aslong as you have a reason to own it, for anything above a .22-250, or sometimes .243 depending on your locality you need to prove you want it for hunting large animals ( a deer hunting license or proof you need it to go shooting out foreign) or you need it for target shooting which means you'll have to prove your a member of a target club that has facilities for centre-fire rifles

But technically yes its the same license, same form to fill in and same cost as a .22 license

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jimjam joeyjoejoe

Ah, I see, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement