Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed Nct, Help/Advice

Options
  • 17-09-2013 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Brought my 98 corsa in for its nct today and was told they couldnt do the emissions test on it because excessive smoke comes out of the car when its rev'd.

Anyway they basically told me to get that sorted before I pay to fix everything else in case it cant be fixed at all.

What would be the cause and fix of the problem? Also been told I need a new exhaust because the backbox is broken in mine and there may be a problem further up the line too. Would that be linked to the excessive smoke do you think?

Any tips would be great! Dont want to have to pay a bucket load for it :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

98 corsa, not a lot of info there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I assume it's petrol?

First off get a mechanic to look at it, the back box being broken is probably contributing to the smoke.

Did you not notice this yourself out driving?

And where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 GG92

98 corsa, 1 litre, petrol

I didnt notice the smoke myself nor has anyone else in the family but the tester said when he reved it it was filling the area with smoke so he couldnt do the test for emissions.

Based in carlow

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

GG92 wrote: »
    98 corsa, 1 litre, petrol

I didnt notice the smoke myself nor has anyone else in the family but the tester said when he reved it it was filling the area with smoke so he couldnt do the test for emissions.

Based in carlow

Ask a mechanic to look it over, I'd a car once that they refused to nct due to engine noise :)

Then decide what you need/want to do

A second hand exhaust should only be around 50 quid or so which I dont mind but I'm trying to figure out if the problem might be bigger than just that or maybe the testers were just being extra picky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

GG92 wrote: »
    A second hand exhaust should only be around 50 quid or so which I dont mind but I'm trying to figure out if the problem might be bigger than just that or maybe the testers were just being extra picky

have it checked, and price a new exhaust

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

What colour was the smoke? (serious question, not a p!ss-take)

Wheelnut wrote: »

Good question tbh, OP possible colours include blue, white and black

Wheelnut wrote: »

he never mentioned to be honest and I was stupid enough not to ask. I cant really see it being dark though because surely if it was that dark i would have noticed at some point? I'll have a look at it tomorrow and get back to you on it , he said it was when we went to rev it anyways

Just an update for anyone who might have the same problem in the future or is just curious.

I checked the smoke myself and there wasn't too much at all. Just light wispy smoke. I brought the car to a different mechanic and he said as soon as he heard the car start he knew the back box had gone and suspected that there was further damage.

He said the nct should have said excessive noise rather than excessive smoke. He put the car up on the ramp there today and said the back box, front box and connecting piece needed replacing. So for new parts for each of those, the labour on the job and fixing the other small bits and bobs (boot clip, wheel bearing, head lamp adjusting) it came to 200 quid, to b honest I thought it would be a hell of a lot worse so happy days I guess. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement