Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VDSL faceplate question

• 17-09-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

So, finally, my exchange has been upgraded and just ordered fibre and told the usual 'wait for eircom engineer to install', have a few questions I would appreciate if somebody could answer.

From reading here I understand that the engineer will give me a new VDSL faceplate and I assume my ISP (Vodafone) will give me a new modem/router, what is different about the faceplate? What modem/router am I likely to be supplied? And what cabling is used to connect it to the faceplate?

Have ran a cable from my existing faceplate to my router in the attic so want to have everything ready to go when the engineer arrives.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Have a read if the eircom fibre rollout thread. All your questions are probably covered there and a few photos.

The cable you ran from you connection to where you want the modem needs to be Cat5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

gtg60 wrote: »
    So, finally, my exchange has been upgraded and just ordered fibre and told the usual 'wait for eircom engineer to install', have a few questions I would appreciate if somebody could answer.

From reading here I understand that the engineer will give me a new VDSL faceplate and I assume my ISP (Vodafone) will give me a new modem/router, what is different about the faceplate? What modem/router am I likely to be supplied? And what cabling is used to connect it to the faceplate?

Have ran a cable from my existing faceplate to my router in the attic so want to have everything ready to go when the engineer arrives.

Modem is the Huawei HG658c
    New faceplate has two ports - one for phone, one for broadband - replaces existing face plate
    Cat-5 is fine for extending service or use home plugs
    HG658c supports mimo wifi and 802.11b/g/n so provided you have a good wireless card in PC laptop (with "n") then you should get good connectivity anyway

Advertisement