Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Production Coursera

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

Anima wrote: »

No sign of pricing?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

It says to enroll for free, so either that's the cost of the course or the cost of the actual application/administration costs.

paulo6891 wrote: »
    It says to enroll for free, so either that's the cost of the course or the cost of the actual application/administration costs.

Yea.. i did that anyway. Worth a look and see then if/what they are charging. Were you looking to do some courses/classes Paul?

I'm not actively looking as I don't really have time to produce much at the mo - doing a full time MSc so I want to focus on that. However if something good comes along I'll always have an interest in improving! What kind of stuff do you produce and what are you trying to improve on?

Yeah time is the biggest killer but i guess if you want it bad enough you got to make time / sacrifices. Ive done 2 different beginner ableton production courses but didnt really do much in my own time, just in class, which is not enough. Im in Dublin now so my next plan is to do keyboard lessons [Start next week] and try find some production course / experienced user to learn again. I might start off with sonic academy online courses to get me back into it. Only using basic laptop & ableton at the minute [When i say using i mean i have it downloaded but done use it as such]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Coursera is free. You just need to enroll as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭AllCaps

Anima wrote: »
    Coursera is free. You just need to enroll as far as I know.

Yep, this is true. I've done a few things on Coursera, it's all free.

AllCaps wrote: »
    Yep, this is true. I've done a few things on Coursera, it's all free.

Sweet!! Any good?

What sort times do they be on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭AllCaps

Sweet!! Any good?

What sort times do they be on?

The ones I did were pre-recorded lectures. So you'd have a topic for the week and there would be the 'lecture' videos and then a test.

Yeah time is the biggest killer but i guess if you want it bad enough you got to make time / sacrifices. Ive done 2 different beginner ableton production courses but didnt really do much in my own time, just in class, which is not enough. Im in Dublin now so my next plan is to do keyboard lessons [Start next week] and try find some production course / experienced user to learn again. I might start off with sonic academy online courses to get me back into it. Only using basic laptop & ableton at the minute [When i say using i mean i have it downloaded but done use it as such]

Sonic Academy are OK but there are better elsewhere in my opinion.

There's a crowd at dancemusicproduction who have a very good reputation. I bought a couple and wasn't overly convinced by them myself, but most people swear by them.

There are a lot of good youtube channels worth following. I'm into trance myself, and most people in that community find 7skies's tutorials very very good. Ost & Meyer have a channel with some really helpful (albeit Russian) videos. Trancemusicmastery have a good channel as well for beginners. Airbase's tutorials are also held in high esteem!

Future Music Magazine do a piece every month where they get a big producer into the studio, and they talk us through one of their tracks, artists like Steve Angello, SHM, Avicii, Armin van Buuren, Sander van Doorn, Chris Lake, Super8 & Tab all did one, plus there are probably some there from artists that you may aspire to be like! Worth looking at, although they're not always too informative!

I think that when it comes to sound design, you could do worse than to go to somewhere like Freshly Squeezed Samples, pick up a soundbank for next to nothing, and try to reverse engineer the sounds.

Or else just use the sounds in your own productions :P

• Advertisement

cheers man theres so many sources out there it really difficult to focus on one. Ill check out your suggestions anyway and hope for the best

no worries, what style are you into?

Electro house, Chuckie and the likes

I don't know too much about that genre of music and where you can find decent tutorials, but if you like the stuff they're doing on Sonic Academy, it wouldn't hurt to sign up for a bit, it's not too pricey.

I'd start just learning how to use Ableton and forget about sound design until you know how your daw works.

paulo6891 wrote: »
    I don't know too much about that genre of music and where you can find decent tutorials, but if you like the stuff they're doing on Sonic Academy, it wouldn't hurt to sign up for a bit, it's not too pricey.

I'd start just learning how to use Ableton and forget about sound design until you know how your daw works.

Yea ill check them out anyway as not expensive, i dont know if its common practice but it would be good to get someone experienced in your DAW of choice to tutor you. Be handy for both parties

Advertisement