Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi/hackney insurance query?

Options
  • 17-09-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I got my renewal quote for taxi insurance an its gone up by 800€ ths year although nothing has changed with the policy - no claims, car change etc. I'm with sax at moment. Just looking for a bit of feedback on who people are with for insurance- who's quoting best prices at moment?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

miss_daisy wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I got my renewal quote for taxi insurance an its gone up by 800€ ths year although nothing has changed with the policy - no claims, car change etc. I'm with sax at moment. Just looking for a bit of feedback on who people are with for insurance- who's quoting best prices at moment?

Thanks

Doesn't have to be anything changed, premiums will also reflect other taxi drivers claims. Loads of taxi claims = higher premiums for all

• Registered Users Posts: 25,421 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, there are dozens of threads on this topic. Basic situation is that a lot of insurance companies try it on with renewals on account of the large number of people who pay up because they're too lazy to shop around. What you need to do is shop around and when you have a few quotes, go back to your currrent insurance company and they will drop the quote.

Even when you talk to the agent on the phone, what they claim is their rock bottom quote can be beaten. I was in the final stages of negotiating my renewal, I was speaking to a lady in xx branch and trying to push her down closer to my target number. She said she couldn't go a penny more on the quote. A few minutes later I phoned her back in a final attempt to get the number down but their system rerouted me to the yy branch. I didn't give the new lady too much data and implied that I was still at the negotiating stage so she knocked the price down to my target (€40 below her colleague's 'rock bottom' price) and I renewed.

Edit: when I said there was 'dozens' of threads on the topic, I was referring to the 'Motors' forum. There's an active thread on the topic here, it started today and has 37 posts already.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057042453

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

miss_daisy wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks

What was the actual quote itself? 800 is a lot but on, say a 5 grand quote it is not as severe than if it was loaded onto a grand.

That aside, do ring around and if it's Axa then call into Jimmy in their taxi section; he can advise you better than a rep at the call centre.

Advertisement