Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few quick horizon questions lads..

• 17-09-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

so we have 3 upc boxes in the house, im looking for horizon for my bedroom only. the phone line is in the living room with 1 of the boxes. can i or can i not get the horizon box for my bedroom as it serves as the modem also? the tv in the living room is about 15 years old so HD channels serves no purpose on it.

what are my options? big long ethernet cable to my bedroom and connect it to the horizon box in my room?

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get another dect cordless phone for downstairs and run tv/phone/broadband through the horizon box upstairs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Get another dect cordless phone for downstairs and run tv/phone/broadband through the horizon box upstairs?

i dont understand. the upc line we got to plug the modem/phone into is downstairs. im looking ot have horizon upstairs but possibly keep the cordless phones bass downstairs. if you understand? i dont know what to do

Have you got a UPC cable point in your bedroom?

Have you got a UPC cable point in your bedroom?

yep, ive it coming from the attic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Might be best asking this in the Talk to UPC forum but I think I've read of people keeping their existing modem while having the Horizon box due to issues with WiFi etc.

• Advertisement

Might be best asking this in the Talk to UPC forum but I think I've read of people keeping their existing modem while having the Horizon box due to issues with WiFi etc.

upc said that the horizon box has to be downstairs...no use for it there so i guess we will put it on hold until we get a HDTV downstairs. but how can i get a hd box if the hroizon must be downstairs and my tv is upstairs?

I shouldn't have to be in any room in particular provided the cable connection in your room is good enough, there's no reason why you can't have it in your bedroom, have the wifi coming from there and have your phone downstairs.

You could also plug in your modem upstairs to check if its ok.

If you get 2 matching cordless handsets, you can have one charging base in your bedroom connected to the horizon box and another base downstairs.

I dunno about others but my wifi is better than it was on the 3925 modem

I shouldn't have to be in any room in particular provided the cable connection in your room is good enough, there's no reason why you can't have it in your bedroom, have the wifi coming from there and have your phone downstairs.

You could also plug in your modem upstairs to check if its ok.

If you get 2 matching cordless handsets, you can have one charging base in your bedroom connected to the horizon box and another base downstairs.

I dunno about others but my wifi is better than it was on the 3925 modem

doesnt the horizon box need to be plugged into the thingy behind my tv thats like a phone line? im sick of my 3925 and its a huge reason why iwana change. ill stick it out for now. thanks lads

No, it uses a coaxial cable same as your modem or tv box so it just needs to be plugged into a regular upc socket. I put mine in the kitchen temporarily and it worked fine, if the signal in your bedroom is as strong as your sitting room there's no reason not to.

Now whether the cabling coming from your attic is up to spec is another matter, was it installed by UPC or a homemade bodge?

As I said, try your 3925 upstairs and see what the broadband is like compared to downstairs.

No, it uses a coaxial cable same as your modem or tv box so it just needs to be plugged into a regular upc socket. I put mine in the kitchen temporarily and it worked fine, if the signal in your bedroom is as strong as your sitting room there's no reason not to.

Now whether the cabling coming from your attic is up to spec is another matter, was it installed by UPC or a homemade bodge?

As I said, try your 3925 upstairs and see what the broadband is like compared to downstairs.

it was installed by upc. its just a cable running form the attic straight to the upc box. so no white box stuck to the wall like downstairs..so i could connect that modem to that wire upstairs?

• Advertisement

Yes.
    but I think the socket itself has some sort of inbuilt current protection on it, maybe someone else will know more about this.

I'd imagine that if it was installed by themselves there shouldn't be an issue but don't take my word for it.

You could maybe ask UPC to install the box for you instead of you doing it yourself? That way there'd be no maybes.

Advertisement